mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New question here. First MTB race... What Class, What to expect

I am wanting to race the Otter. I am 34 and 200 lbs. Can I jump up to sport class for a longer race. Also, is this a point to point xc race or a lap race. I can climb pretty well... what is the climb like and is this what separates the men from the boys? Any info helpful...peace

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey Revo, First time Sea Otter, You're gonna love it!

If you're 200 lbs. sometimes they have a clydesdale race for 200 and over. Beginner and Sport class is the same race, its a one loop race ~ 17 - 18 miles. Some of the climbs are narrow swithbacks, some are long and drawn out fire roads, depends on what they want to do. Sometimes they change the course every year. Lots of climbing though, def. seperates the men from the boys, and short fast downhills.

There is a website for Garmin users called Motion Based.com There are some guys that have posted their sea otter rides on there. It shows climbs, downhill, speed, etc. Total breakdown. Very useful tool.

What to expect; a lot of cranky riders that drank too much beer the night before, almost nobody to help with a flat. And the sand baggers. Just straight ahead racing. It is one hell of a course though.

I'm gonna save 20 bucks this year and do the IMBA ride and ride all day. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm new as well. I weigh 130, what recreational XC/short track events are available for a newbie like me? Also, what is the IMBA ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Well, here is the link to the IMBA ride, I think they call it a recreational ride, but it's pretty fast paced if you want it to be.

There are short track and XC races for beginners, keep in mind its a 17 - 19 mile course, pretty tough. And people are racing, they won't stop to help you unless you are seriously injured. The Sea Otter always has a recreational ride and you don't have to pay the high fee for racing and you get food at the end. That's just my recommendation, I've done the race 4 times and I'm over it. I just want to have fun out there. Happy Trails.

http://www.seaotterclassic.com/index...ntain_bike.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This will be my first race as well. So the CAT2 group will do a single loop at 17-18 miles... What does CAT1 do? Also, what are normal times for CAT2?

Lusus Naturae
    Looks like Cat1 and Pro will do 2 laps of the same 19 mile course. Everyone else does 1 lap, except for the women who are apparently only doing 10 miles if beginner and 1 lap if cat2/cat1/pro.

I'll be there on Friday, starting 1:55pm, 35-39, Cat3.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I was just on the SOC site today and it looks like the Pros are doing a more World Cup type course of a number (6 maybe?) 5 mile laps instead of the traditional 2 big laps.

It looks like everyone else is doing the same course and distances as last year. I'm not sure if I'm going to do the fun ride again (no competitive pressure) or step up and race the XC.

mtbr member
    NoBalance I will see you at the starting line! Cat 3 35-39. Be kind to me as this is my first race season I will be the guy looking way in over his head on a black BLT2.

And 2TNE you gotta man up and race. After the Cuyama ride it should be easy (any idea on dates on that yet? seems like rain is forecast as far as i can see)
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    As long as I don't pick up a respiratory infection that cheesed up my longs for 3 months this year, I'll likely race. As far as the Corridor ride goes, the weather forecast isn't filling me with confidence that it's gonna happen next weekend. I did see a lot of snow up on the taller mountains of the SB Backcountry today, though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ...to answer Jonny T's question. Cat 2 (Sport) times ranger anywhere from 1:30 -3 hours plus depeding. I ran a 141:23 for the 19.4 loop and finished 43/110. The winning time was
    1:33. So you can see how much a few minutes matters. Under 2 hours is a respectable time.