mtbr member

Ducati at Sea Otter

I just heard that Ducati, the Italian Sportbike manufacturer, will have a big set-up at Sea Otter complete with demo bikes, clothing, etc!

Crazy, eh!

Your Best Friend
    Which begs the question.....WHY?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't mind a free tour of Monterey on motorized 2-wheeler. Leaving mine at home to race Sea Otter. Plus Ducati has been know to have rather quality eye candy at events.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe
    Which begs the question.....WHY?
    If you like bombing hills on a MTN Bike. Then leaning a street bike through a corner @ 75 miles an hour is like a gift from heaven...Plus MotoGP will be a Laguna in july.

Dude, got any schwag?
    They have been doing bicycles (thru Colnago I think) for a while. I'm sure they'll have some out there. Mostly though, our demographic is their target. You folks don't think there are a number of high income thrill seekers at Sea Otter every year? I think it's brilliant cross marketing.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker
    They have been doing bicycles (thru Colnago I think) for a while.
    Bianchi: http://www.bianchiducati.com/
    The European sites seem to have a wider range of bikes: http://fi.bianchi.com/en/productsDuc...cts_Intro.aspx

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    I'm taking my gear (helmet, boots, jacket, & gloves) and hope to test out one of the new Monsters (the 1100, of course!).

-g
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It would not hurt me to take one out on that track.....or maybe it would.

mtbr member
    If an opportunity arises to go around that track take it. It is a whole lotta fun.

mtbr member
    Yes they are there. I guess they think we might be getting tired of human powered vehicles. I just ignore them.
    "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" -- Mark Twain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasi
    Yes they are there. I guess they think we might be getting tired of human powered vehicles. I just ignore them.
    What's wrong with enjoying both? Sounds more than a bit snobbish to me. Anyway, I think it's great cross-promotion. I do my 50 mile commute eveyday on a motorcycle (BMW though, not a Ducati) And on various weekends enjoy either my street MOTORbike, my dirtbike (crf250x) or my mountainbike. Quite frankly, I love them all. Sorry to not be as hardcore as you on the MB front, but perhaps if you DIDN'T ignore them you might just find yourself another two-wheeled love.

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    Ducati hooked it up. They were giving out water, granola bars, fruit, and a nice shaded place to kick back and watch the cuties walk by.

local trails rider
    So, did they have any bikes there? With or without engines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBMX
    Ducati hooked it up. They were giving out water, granola bars, fruit, and a nice shaded place to kick back and watch the cuties walk by.

yea they did, it was nice to stop there and get a snack and ice cold water!

jrm
    mtbr member

Anyone see the shifter carts

Quote Originally Posted by lastchild
    I just heard that Ducati, the Italian Sportbike manufacturer, will have a big set-up at Sea Otter complete with demo bikes, clothing, etc!

Crazy, eh!
    parked in the paddock area? now THAT would be FUN....
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator

Yes, they DID have plenty of "motorized" bikes....

...and I even snuck away from the Mtbr booth for an hour to take advantage of the free Ducati HyperMotard demo. As long as you had your gear (helmet, boots, gloves, long pants and long sleeve shirts) and your M1 and your proof of insurance, you were good to go.

They had one of the new Monster 1100s on display and even one of the Brand New Street Fighters....but the demo fleet was all HMs. Not my first choice, but hell, I wasn't gonna complain... how often do you get to test ride a Ducati for free?

After a brief introduction and rundown of bike controls, we were lead out for a short ride through Laureles Canyon (sorry, no track time). This road was actually a very nice route, with plenty of curves in it. At no time did we exceed 50 mph, but with the high torque factor of the L-twin, it didn't matter. Plenty of fun to be had from 3,000 to 6,000. Wheelies were not allowed, but you almost couldn't help but lift the front tire on any of the gear changes, with a bit of agressiveness with the throttle.

I had a blast riding these machines. Coming from a background of 4 cylinder 600cc crotch rockets, these bikes were super easy to ride with plenty of grunt everywhere. And the SuperMoto styling and layout provided an atmosphere of fun. I've been eyeing the new Monster 1100, but I've got some rethinking to do!

All in all, the route took about 40 minutes. Our particular group was about 8 people, but they could handle fleets of a dozen or more. Rides ran every hour. All the staff involved, from the ladies organizing the paperwork, to the guys leading and sweeping the rides were all very friendly and knowledgeable.

Ducati provided much needed shade and had free water in the demo area and (as previously stated) the other main Ducati booth had free fresh fruits, granola bars, and coffee/expresso.

As good as it was, I think the event would have been a lot bigger success if Ducati North America had:

1.) promoted the fact that they were going to be at the Sea Otter Classic better
    2.) provided loaner helmets, boots, and jackets

Several industry people I talked to would have also liked to have participated in the test ride, if they only knew that they should bring their gear with them.

But many thanks to Ducati for running the demo fleet. To me, this kind of cross over promotion makes plenty of sense.

-g
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    :| I have just knew about it know, If only I knew earlier.
    Greg, do you have more pics ?
    I heard they would show up the Ducati X9 bike ! ?