mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Demo Bikes at Sea Otter

I am thinking of attending the Sea Otter this year just as a spectator. Will the manufactures be showing there demo bikes? If so, can spectators take them out for a ride? I am thinking of getting a new bike for the summer and thought it would be great to demo bikes from several different manufactures at one event. Is there a specific day that they will allow spectators to demo there bikes? I have looked at the Sea Otter website, but all the info I see is for actual racerís who are participating in the event. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You can demo bikes there. I know Intense had a bunch of demo bikes available last year. Don't remember what other companies had them, I know a lot just had bikes to showcase. If they have demo bikes the day shouldn't matter, they'll let you take them out anytime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Pinnacle - Thank You for your reply. It should be fun just being there and seeing all the new products. Being able to test ride a bike would be a bonus. Thanks Again.

mtbr member
    The big brands usually have demos there. Cannondale usually has a bunch.

Ride it 'til it breaks
    Apr 2009
    trek, haro, giant, specialized and a few others were in the demo area last year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the all of your replies. Looking forward to big event. Thanks Again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Dayten I know there will be some brands there with bikes to demo, the real brands to look to demo aren't the big brands cause you can test ride those at any LBS. They will have some smaller brands and I would test those bikes out, if I were you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Taste, Thanks for the reply. Although I would like to demo the bikes that I am interesting in buying, but I will definitely try whatever bike is available. Thanks for they input guys.

Ride it 'til it breaks
    Apr 2009
    They have a demo area with a small skills track, a pump track and a little more. AND you could take the bikes away from the show if you wanted (there are some nearby trails to really test the bikes). This is a thousand times better than riding the bike around your LBS's parking lot. My friend and I actually grabbed a pair of road bikes (I know, I'm sorry...) and went to seaside for a ride on the beach.

Just expect them to have top tier stuff, they are there to show off what they have. The only Fuel EX the Trek tent had when I went there had the 9.8... A carbon bike is WAY out of my budget...

Try everything you might possibly be interested in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Darthbobby, Thanks for the info about the different tracks. You are completely correct, it is a lot better then riding it in a parking lot. I hope to be able to ride as much as I can. Hopefully I can do it all in one day. Thanks Again.

Ride it 'til it breaks
    Apr 2009
    I did it in one day last year, but go early and expect it to take most of the day. They are happy to get you a bike but you aren't the only one there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yes I am planning on being there early and spending the whole day there. I am expecting long lines for the bike demos. If I can test the bikes that I am interested in, I'll be happy. Either way, I am sure I'll have a blast just being at the event.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

mtbr member
    Airborne Bikes will be releasing 6 new bikes at Sea Otter. They will have some to demo! I'm so excited b/c I'm actually going to be there with Airborne! Come check them out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 88StangGT
    Airborne Bikes will be releasing 6 new bikes at Sea Otter. They will have some to demo! I'm so excited b/c I'm actually going to be there with Airborne! Come check them out!
    Beat me too it See you there.

mtbr member
    Can't wait! I've never been!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88StangGT
    Dude, me too!!

This is going to be great!
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Some smaller vendors will be there with demo bikes too, including us. We'll also be selling bikes direct at the festival. Come by, talk bikes, take a demo ride--look forward to seeing everyone there!

mtbr member
    Everyone should definitely go by the Airborne tent! They have a lot of awesome things coming out! I wish I was going to be there this year

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    I really liked the design-a-shirt at the Airborne tent last year hah.. although it was a little disturbing some ppl kept going back for like, their 10th shirt.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    definitely want to get out there to demo some bikes since i'm lookin for a new bike. anyone know the process? do u have to leave a drivers license/credit card with them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willywilly
    definitely want to get out there to demo some bikes since i'm lookin for a new bike. anyone know the process? do u have to leave a drivers license/credit card with them?
    Yeah generally you just leave your ID, or sometimes if you have your own bike with you they'll just let you leave that
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Demo Ride Madness

NP, willywilly. Bottom line is we (and the other brands) want you to test-ride our bikes. So we try to make it as easy as possible. Heck, we're even giving away schwag to every one who takes a test ride and gives us a video review.

mtbr member
    I don't know if they do it different at Sea Otter, but most demos require you to bring your own pedals and whatever shoes you use with your pedals.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    nightofthefleming: We had both platforms and generic SPDs for the XC bikes. Not sure how other folks handled the pedals situation. Thanks to everyone who came out!