mtbr member

CX Cat II Sandbaggers

Pros and Cat 1 racing in Cat II?

I have been doing well in sport class at CCCX that races (at Fort Ord like Sea Otter, but a different spot) and I have been thinking about moving up to expert. So, I expected some good racing for the top of the podium spots, but after passing one rider who whent wide on the first marblely turn of opening single track and another who lost his chain on that said single track, I rode alone to the finish line in forth place. No one from my category that is. (why put tandems, SS and other handicapped cats in front of 25-29?)

I saw the top three guys right in front of me, but they just road away and I had no chance. Even early on when the course opened up so that I could see far ahead, I did not see them at all. I was 5 minutes back from the winner.

I ended up running into the 1st place guy because his exotic Delta 7 bike was on display with his 1st place metal around it at the Delta 7 booth. I talked to him and he said that he normally races pro, but this is his first national race and he does not have the points to move up by USA Cycling rules. What the hell? Pros in Cat II because of dumb USA Cycling rules.

I then used the Google machine and found out one of the other guys that beat me races Pro CX and the other guy is a Pro Super D racer, which is borderline ok in my book.
    Last edited by Killroy; 04-18-2009 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    The winner had one of these contraptions

bike dork extraordinaire
    Yeah... happens every year.

I do wish they would put some kind of check in place that would prevent people who have raced before in Pro/Expert categories from racing Sport/Cat 2, but that would probably take too much effort.

XC rider
    Its all good. I love sea otter because of the ridiculously stiff competition. At local races I'm normally in the top 5 of the Cat 2s. But at Sea Otter, If I'm in the top 50 percentile I consider it a strong finish. I love Sea Otter in all of its glorious sandbagging speed!
    ccorc.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy
    Pros and Cat 1 racing in Cat II?

I have been doing well in sport class at CCCX that races (at Fort Ord like Sea Otter, but a different spot) and I have been thinking about moving up to expert. So, I expected some good racing for the top of the podium spots, but after passing one rider who whent wide on the first marblely turn of opening single track and another who lost his chain on that said single track, I rode alone to the finish line in forth place. No one from my category that is. (why put tandems, SS and other handicapped cats in front of 25-29?)

I saw the top three guys right in front of me, but they just road away and I had no chance. Even early on when the course opened up so that I could see far ahead, I did not see them at all. I was 5 minutes back from the winner.

I ended up running into the 1st place guy because his exotic Delta 7 bike was on display with his 1st place metal around it at the Delta 7 booth. I talked to him and he said that he normally races pro, but this is his first national race and he does not have the points to move up by USA Cycling rules. What the hell? Pros in Cat II because of dumb USA Cycling rules.

I then used the Google machine and found out one of the other guys that beat me races Pro CX and the other guy is a Pro Super D racer, which is borderline ok in my book.
    I totally understand and agree with your frustration, however think of it in a positive light. You raced with pro's and held your own. Great job!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    I totally understand and agree with your frustration, however think of it in a positive light. You raced with pro's and held your own. Great job!
    Killroy,
    This is pretty amazing!

mtbr member
    The winner had one of these contraptions
    I heard that if you wash this bike and go for a quick ride you will leave a trail of bubbles in the air

Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    I actually asked USAC about this and their answer was that they have no way to police 1 day licenses, therefore they have no way of monitoring anyone who used to race Expert and had a yearly license. They did say that they would look into it. LOL.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    honestly guys... what kind of loser CAT1 or worse PRO wants to win a CAT2 race? OOOO... you won a SPORT race? BFD.

CAT2 doesn't even do the full distance!!!

some people love to use the 1 day license thing to excuse the fact that they are low-lifes. the license isn't all that much money.

i guess maybe if you post up names people will be more likely to call them on their shady raceday morals. lets hear the names.

this isn't USA Cycling's fault/problem. racers that want to cheat the system will still cheat no matter what USA Cycling does or does not do.

the best thing any individual can do to rectify this situation is train your butts off and move up to CAT1... then you know what you are up against and the competition is top notch!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    honestly guys... what kind of loser CAT1 or worse PRO wants to win a CAT2 race? OOOO... you won a SPORT race? BFD.
    So you can go back to your sponsors booth, prop up the bike, and hang a 1st place around the Delta 7 frame.

Interestingly enough, there was a Delta 7 rep from Utah with the Delta 7 road bike on display at the ride start of the Alto Velo B ride (Webcore, the annoyingly numerous green jerseys). According to him the bike is better than sliced bread.
    Last edited by Killroy; 04-25-2009 at 02:55 PM.

mtbr member
    According to this, if you sandbag, you also win the GT Golden Bike, a GT Kit, other swag, and expenses paid to the next race.

http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.a...CB2FE72CCF09F6

Apparentlyv someone else got 117 min and beat him.

those are Rollercams...
    So you can go back to your sponsors booth, prop up the bike, and hang a 1st place around the Delta 7 frame.

Interestingly enough, there was a Delta 7 rep from Utah with the Delta 7 road bike on display at the ride start of the Alto Velo B ride (Webcore, the annoyingly numerous green jerseys). According to him the bike is better than sliced bread.
    That thing's plastic, isn't it? Drop a match on it and watch it turn into a molten pile with a medal draped on it, sitting in the sponsors booth.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    That thing's plastic, isn't it? Drop a match on it and watch it turn into a molten pile with a medal draped on it, sitting in the sponsors booth.
    Its carbon and Kevlar composite. A little different than plastic and a match will do nothing to it.