mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Cross Country race, steep sand sections

Did anyone take pictures of those two sections? I wanted to go and take pictures, but I was way too tired to ride over and take them. Also how did everyone do on those sections? When I was racing I saw a lot of people squirming around and forced to clip out.
    Last edited by LeStrong; 04-22-2008 at 09:23 PM.

FTM
    It felt kind of like skiing, it was fun but probably wouldn't have been if others were on it the same time I was.

mtbr member
    I did clip out both feet and just rode the saddle with my legs hanging down like curb feelers. Did I crash or wash out at all? Not one time. Came close and saw many people lose it and crash. My ass hurts a little more but it felt right and worked. I must have looked like a fool. too bad brightroom wasn't taking pics at that point in the course.
    They never made the "Slowster"

ballbuster

Fun stuff

Quote Originally Posted by LeStrong
    Did anyone take pictures of those two sections? I wanted to go and take pictures, but I was way too tired to ride over and take them. Also how did everyone do on those sections? When I was racing I saw a lot of people squirming around and forced to clip out.
    The trick is to actually keep your speed up. The slower you go, the more you sink in. Also, keep the wheels turning. A locked wheel will just dig in and lose traction anyway. The sides of the trail have less sand and more terra firma underneath.

*edit*

I also unclipped a bit, but found myself bouncing around on the pedals, almost losing it. It's best to keep your feet on the pedals. If you take a foot off and the front wheel hits a big enough bump, you'll go assoverteakettle when your weight shifts forward.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 04-24-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Lusus Naturae
    I followed someone pretty closely down the first section and we both had the right foot clipped in and the left one tapping the ground every now and then ... both made it through fine. Wasnt so lucky on the second section, where I tried to get around someone but chose a very fresh section and had to push for a couple feet. Yes, the softness of the sand made it all very easy and comfortable.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by LeStrong
    Two sections? I only remember one--basically fall line with a 90 degree left at the bottom.

I have a few pics from Saturday. Nothing special as it is hard to photograph.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I didn't take any pictures but i surfed the sand just fine. There were a lot of riders floundering around in the sand pits and I couldn't choose a best line, just fly thru as fast as I could, trying to avoid all the other riders.

My technique is to keep the front tire going as straight as possible and as light as a butterfly and be in a gear so I keep light pressure on the pedals and keep them turning all the way thru the sand. I never put a foot down or unclipped once in the whole race.

It was a great race course and I had a lot of fun. It sure was cold at race time (44 deg), but I'm used to that in Utah. I had been hoping for warmer California weather.
    Cycling - What else is there?

valgal

sand

It was easy because it was so dry. Much easier than last year's wet grabby conditions. With the exception of the slow pokes in front of me, whom I actually managed to pull off a pass with through the sand I kept up my speed which does help. The poor guy in front of me did a super-man endo into the bushes lining the trail, he was fine though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    At least we were descending it and not climbing it

Get off the saddle, use less brakes, and look further ahead. No issues! I dabbed once, but otherwise no problems. Would've been more uncomfortable to run through it.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Two sections? I only remember one--basically fall line with a 90 degree left at the bottom.
    You're not the only one who took a shortcut! Kidding...

The second one was shorter and easier. It was before trail 32 climb, before Engineer Canyon Road. I think...

Ali

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    pinch your seat with your thighs, push forward on the bars and carry as much speed as you can through. absolutely no front brakes, that technique worked well for me.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    You just have to get into character to play at the beach

Surf's up!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Uncle

Two beaches!

Very casually rode the course on the Saturday Preotter ride, and I remember thinking while riding 2nd Beach, "Didn't we just do this section?" It was the first time I'd seen the course this sandy. During the race, I had more fun with the second section, as the little drop roots near the top provided a slight taste of the technical. I dabbed during our practice day, but managed to wiggle my way down both without too much deflection this year during the race. I did cross a few deeper sections unintentionally (par for me), but the commute trackstanding practice came in to the rescue; managed to get back to the grooves pretty easily.

Cowabunga
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Yep speed is your friend here. I don't even touch my front brake and use my rear just to staighten me out. I road the course a couple of times before the Otter, and knew what to expect. I had no problems until the sharp left, when another guy took the inside line and we got tangled up. Other than that, a good time!
    See you at the top!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had preridden the course the day before the race, so I knew what to expect as well. It was my favorite section out of the bunch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    These trails are in my backyard, I did the course and flew down the sand sections with no problems. The key is to shift your weight back AND pull back on the bars. Your front tire will float across the sand. Choose your line and make swide sweeping turns (no quick turns). Many of the trails out here become quite sandy in the summer months and once you get a little pratice on them are quite easy to navigate, at least on the downhill. Don't get me started on the uphill trails when you encounter sand. They SUCK!