Trying a little

Competitor's point of view: Noticable Improvement

As a competitor, this year, the organization of things for the competitors seemed better than last year. Better registration and pick up, better signage, better support, better timing between classes. Just sayin'. I would like to thank Sea Otter for making improvements, many of which were suggested on MTBR from prior years.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

XC rider
    Agreed! Thanks Sea Otter!
    ccorc.org

Lusus Naturae
    Yup, better job indeed. Great job on the weather too ... well, except for Sunday's burner.

swag ho Administrator
    I wasn't able to race but I heard no complaints from many friends. Parking, traffic, expo flow seemed A+.

fc

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    IT seemed smoother than the past, but I still have to scratch my head at why on Saturday morning they had the tandems and single speeders go off before everyone else.

Still parking was a breeze, I remember the bad days, and registration was quick.

mtbr member
    I participated in a couple SOC a few years ago but this year I didn't so it was my first time really just to watch.
    So from a spectators point of view bike traffic in and around retail and sponsor tents was a little to heavy at times.
    Walking was made tough because people were having to dodge competitors/noncompetitors on bikes.
    I think they should have disallowed spectator bikes and rerouted all competitors/bikes around the outside of retail tents.
    It would have also helped to have all manufacture sponsored tents on the outside attending to competitors and to also have noncompetitor sponsored retail tents in the inside.
    Also a couple times I approached a manufactures tent with questions only to be shinned off because I wasn't racing.
    And the only time I was given help was when my girlfriend and her friend were with me...not cool.

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose127
    I still have to scratch my head at why on Saturday morning they had the tandems and single speeders go off before everyone else.
    Don't scratch too hard. Not sure about the Tandems* but look at the finish times for our Single Speed category, the fastest (~1:24:00) and tail end (~2:15:00). This pretty much matched all the other age ranges, Including yours. In fact, my position would have been the same in your age bracket (35-49) and my age bracket (40-44) as I was in SS. No matter the order, the faster riders always have to contend with the slower riders that started in front of them.

*The Tandems were pretty tricky to get around on some of the single track.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah good point regarding the single speeds, but you hit the nail on the head the tandems were tricky to get around and I am sure they did not appreciate the traffic up their backside either.

mtbr member
    Good idea to send the tandems first... best not to deal with them early on the course where it's traffic central.

Uncle
    We had 5 minutes between groups this year. Was it 2 minutes last year? I recall dealing with the conga lines on the first bit of single track within the last few years. This year, I got out in the front 20%, and I didn't hit any conga line -- we were flowin' pretty good through there. Not sure if that's the effect of getting into the front 1/3 of a pack, or because the groups were spaced apart a bit more. At any rate, I hope they keep the 5-minute intervals -- gives everyone a better chance to spread out.

Not sure how they could regulate the bikes in the expo area, but I'm not sure it'd be necessary either. Any incidents/injuries reported?

SOC did a good job of making adjustments this year. Let's hope they keep listening and keep providing a good experience.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think they did a great job!

Huge race with lots of things to go wrong.

Only one small complaint about the "nuetral feed" not giving full bottles... but that is a pretty small complaint (i didn't wind up in the hospital or anything).

I did think that there was a lot of protests afterward. I got bumped back two places after preliminary posting... but that isn't a big deal either. I assume my time was correct.

Parking and stuff was way better this year and the staff/volunteers were great.

Hope to be back next year!!!!!!!!