mtbr member
    Apr 2009

CHEATER in Cat II XC 15-18

1 2297 MATTHEW KOENIG 16 SONORA, CA 01:09:52 00:00:00
    2 1804 JEFF SHEN 17 MONTEREY, CA 01:24:19 00:14:27.3
    3 1161 SCOTT KOLOFER 18 SALINAS, CA 01:24:22 00:14:30.8
    4 2112 ALEX WILD 17 LOS GATOS, CA 01:25:19 00:15:27.0
    5 922 JUSTIN GRIFFIN 13 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT 01:25:21 00:15:29.0

1st place got away with cheating. Posted a time of 1:09 which is faster than most if not all pros, being one of the racers affected I think this is ridiculous and am very angry with Sea Otter Staff for refusing our protest. We all passed him and he got away with it.

American Icon

I wonder why

Sea Otter didn't somehow catch this either I mean, it's not like this one is rocket science... that is a big gap on the field...unless he royally sandbagged.

Did others join in the protest?

What happened on the podium?

Ultimated Outsider
    If you are not cheating, you are not trying.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Clue me in here. What's your basis for saying he cheated? I see the guy won by a big gap; I also see he's apparently pretty young.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I need further explanation as to how he cheated or else I initial think you are just whining.

Gig'em Aggies!
    I was out there volunteering at a booth and heard a lot of people discussing this. His time was much faster than the rest of his age group (or any of the other groups) on that same course but the judges could not "prove" that he cheated so they awarded him 1st place. Nobody clapped or anything when he was announced as the winner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    kray,

Sounds like the judges made the only decision that could be made. Without any proof hard to do anything. Maybe he is just that good, maybe not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    We all know he did not ride the full course.
    He started out in the lead pack, fighting for position. he crashed a couple times and fell back, I drafted him for awhile then passed him. No other time in the race did he pass me then I hear he beat me. its just not possible. Also Single Speeder Jason Macdonald, works for specialized, passed everyone in the field including the tandems and this guy never passed Jason, making it impossible to have beat him or me. Also, my girlfriend and family who were standing at the finish line noticed he was not even the least bit tired. On the podium none of us went up to the podium with him, we received our stuff later. He looked very guilty and only raised his hands for a split second, he knew he did it and so did we.
    Last edited by Alex Wild; 04-19-2009 at 10:01 AM.

XC rider
    Did you lodge your protest with the USA cycling official? I think he is same official at the Team Big Bear races. He has always been very responsive to complaints and rules in accordance with USA cycling regulations.

I'm puzzled was the USA cycling official protested to or the Sea Otter Staff/volunteers?
    ccorc.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    We were directed to a guy who we lodged our protest with, there were about seven of us all saying the same thing, either that we passed him or he never passed us... It was very disappointing to see such a big race with such a crappy outcome. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out 1:09 is impossible on that course, that would be averaging 18.5 mph in the SPORT cat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    His previous times also tell us he does not post times like that. 2 weeks ago he placed 5th in JV BOYS. With those kind of times he would be winning varsity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Alex, thanks for the further explanation. From your explanation, it sounds like there must have been some spot on the course where he was able to cut off a loop to get in front, and there weren't enough course marshals / monitoring points to catch that.

XC rider
    What was matthew saying? Was he there during the protest?
    ccorc.org

all your base
    had that happen in road races (running) before, really sucks the fun out of it beyond belief. It's just hard to prove.
    Last edited by primefocus; 04-19-2009 at 01:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    "If you're not cheating, you're not trying"

Cute but expected. . .

Maybe well even get to "vote" for him in the 2028 POTUSA election

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah we all believe he cut the course somehow but are unsure of where. It was a big dissappointment in such a big race that he could get away with that. Mathew was not there during the protest but had been talked to and claimed to have riden the whole course. He rides for NorCal League and I think he Should be DQ'd for the season.

XC rider
    I'm surprised the officials did not dq him especially if he was not present during the protest to defend himself. The his time is too fast.

But lets take a step back and make sure we know he cheated on purpose. It could be entirely not of his making.

I would not assume that he "cheated" intentionally. Unless you actually heard him say "I raced the entire course". For all we know the mistake could have been with Sea Otter staff.

Perhaps he cut the course by mistake and told someone that he DNFed. Races are a dynamic and hectic setting. I've put several races with my club CCORC. We have made errors with DNFer appearing to be 1st. (We corrected them and ruled in favor of the protester if the 1st place person was not there and others collaborated the protester) Perhaps the person he told did not relay it on the correct timely people. All I'm saying is don't label him a "cheater" unless you know he cheated. The whole thing could be a mix up not of his making.

You know you won and that in it self is a major accomplishment. But listing someone's name on MTBR as "cheater" is uncalled for and inaccurate unless you heard him say that he won or ran the whole course.
    ccorc.org

mtbr member
    I am a bit bothered by the top cat3 times, in no way is that beginner?? Oh well, I had a good time even though I did 2:36 or so. It was nice that they had a water/energy break, I felt bad for the guys with one little bottle that keep saying "when is the next water." They should have been prepared but it still sucks for them..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    We talked to him and he claimed to have been legit and raced the whole course, hence the reason we did not go up to podium.

XC rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild
    We talked to him and he claimed to have been legit and raced the whole course, hence the reason we did not go up to podium.
    Ouch! That clears in up in my mind. You were robbed! But I think you still won a free set of Crank Bros wheels right?
    ccorc.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Haha I wish I did!!!!!
    who told you that?

XC rider
    It must have been the 3rd place finisher then? I was at Crank Bros booth getting my Candys worked on when one of the juniors came up and presented his metal. There was a discussion about the "cheater" but the point was Crank Bros gave him a free set of wheels. I think if you went to booth before the race and demoed the wheels during the race and made it to the podium you got the keep the wheels! I wish I would have known about it before, I made 5th for my Cat. Those cobalts are sweet.

Anyhow, strong work at the race! You are crazy fast! Sorry you were cheated out of a 1st.
    ccorc.org

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Three years ago all of us singlespeeders "cheated" by being directed to a much shorter course by the lead motorcycle. He probably went to pee somewhere and we followed him.

None of us did it intentionally of course. One of the couple of racers who took the right course eventually gave up and complained. I never thought that I cheated because the whole pack was racing and I was following. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild
    Also Single Speeder Jason Macdonald, works for specialized, passed everyone in the field including the tandems and this guy never passed Jason, making it impossible to have beat him or me.
    If he posted a time before Jason Macdonald, it could have been only if Matthew's ankle tag passed over the mat at the finish line. If Jason was the first to pass in person, then the tag was not on Matthew's ankle.

- If somebody else passed the tag, then it is obviously cheating.

- How about an error in the timing system? Could it have posted an incorrect time? Very unlikely...

- How about Matthew made an honest mistake and missed a turn?

Ali

P.S. After reading this thread, I thought of a cheating plan. This is just a thought; I am not saying it being related to this case at all: An accomplice passes the tag over the mat much *later* than the actual race starts and hands it to his racer friend somewhere before the finish line.

Actually no hand-over needed: The racer stops as if there is a problem with the bike and grabs the tag from the spot where the accomplice hid it half an hour prior! :-O

mtbr member
    Alex,
    1:25 you must have been cheating or riding with a motor.
    Great pace!
    Sorry to hear about this mud on the podium.
    I wonder how long it will be for Garmin type equipment to be required for a post ride inspection on big events? I could prove that I did not cheat to finish in 1:46. lol
    The worst part for this guy is that he will have the rest of his life to look back at that day that he took 1st from the guy that earned it. That is a bummer skeleton to have in your closet for the rest of his life.
    See you on the LG trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks guys, wish i went to the CB tent before the race!!!
    I will fer sure see you on the trails!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast