more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Cat 1 Course Shortened? Or Lengthened?

Earlier this year, or in 2010 I guess, I thought I heard that the Cat 1 XC course was lengthed to around 40 miles for 2011 (2x laps of the 20ish mile course).

but now when you go the Sea Otter website, it says this:

"ALL-NEW CATEGORIES 1/2, and 3 COURSES in 2011, with distinct courses for each of the race categories:

•Category 3 course - all age categories and both men and women (approximately 14 miles)
    •Category 1 and 2 course (approximately 20 miles)"

http://www.seaotterclassic.com/index...teur_cross.htm

Why would they cut the length of the Cat 1 course in HALF??

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Its actually now 40.4 miles!

Not sure if anyone has answered this yet, but here is the PDF that has the start times and distances:

http://www.seaotterclassic.com/userf...0times-Cat%201[1].pdf

Hope this helps!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for posting the link, and I do hope that it IS 40.4 miles, but that .PDF file is part of the reason I am confused.

If you go to this page -> http://www.seaotterclassic.com/index...teur_cross.htm

and scroll down a little it says that the Cat 1 and 2 courses are 20 miles. Earlier in the year this statement was on this page.

So I'm hoping that the information in the .PDF link is correct and the other information is a typo....but I was curious if anyone had confirmation on that or was kind of hoping someone from Sea Otter would see this and maybe update the website so that everything is line with the correct info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Cat1 course length

Yeah, I remember seeing that info too! I knew they wouldn't shorten the course at all, so I knew it had to be a typo. They still need the UCI rating right? But blame the BLM, they have been widening and smoothing out all the fire-roads. You probably saw some of their handiwork at last years race, where historically the fire-roads were just that, now they resemble smoothed-out highways! The BLM is re-doing quite a bit the past year, hence the course re-design. I am hoping they opt for less fire-roads and throw in some of the nice single-track we have here!

American Made!
    Any news yet on the "new" courses?
    I am trying to get prepped and wondernig on distance, elevation gain etc..
    Thanks!
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by uraneum
    You probably saw some of their handiwork at last years race, where historically the fire-roads were just that, now they resemble smoothed-out highways!
    At last years race I would have thought I took a wrong turn when I got to one stretch of fire road along a ridge if I hadn't scouted out the course the day before. I actually chatted with another racer as we rode the stretch it was so smooth, thought I was on one of my training rides on my road bike.

As to lengthening or shortening the course. If it is still around 40 miles +/- a mile (two 20 mile loops), its been that way for the last four years when I raced expert/Cat 1. Last year, the Pro course was completely different than the Cat 1 course unlike previous years. And the year previous, the Pros did one Expert lap and one Beginner lap if my memory serves me correctly since the temperatures soared that year. It was already 85+ at 8:00 am.

Have fun this year. I unfortunately no longer live in California, so I won't be able to attend Sea Otter this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well, now SOC says they will release the course map on March 15th! Kinda makes you wonder? Last minute course issues? The trails are perfect right now. The weather has been kind (not much rain ......knock on wood) Hope to see everyone there!

MtbrMorvs
    Sep 2008
    I rode last year's course on Friday and if you didn't like the runways created last year you won't like that the FAA has continued to create more space for 747's this spring. Not to say race coordinators won't change the course a bit to compensate but I estimate nearly a third is now smoothed over and widened as if they are going to lay down bedrock and pave it between now and April. The BLM has been doing extensive work and much needed maintenance throughout the area to replace culverts and improve runoff and drainage for almost two years now and I firmly believe the single tracks will return but only in due time and definitely not before we are back on the course. You could always switch to slicks to add some challenge and make the sandy section a bit more fun!

See you there!
    Jason Morvay

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The new course has been added to the sea otter webiste

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If I'm reading the course map correctly and comparing it to my garmin track from the 2010 race, looks like they've eliminated the long sandy downhill stretch (trail 60) coming off of Sandstone Ridge Rd. Sound right? That's always been a nasty section with lots of crashes.

Also looks like there is an extra 1k ft of climbing! I had 2550 last year per lap and now they're saying 3500.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You're right, trail 60 is gone.....boooooooooooo. just kidding. I think the majority of us are quite happy to see it gone :-) But they added the beast called trail 41, or goat trail, mostly uphill. That's gonna hurt bad, then we have the uphill fireroad back to the racetrack to look forward to. So yeah, bring your climbing legs. ;-) I cant wait, I am glad to see a new course finally!

mtbr member
    Im just glad they axed the bonus infield mile they added last year. Took me by surprise, going over the "last" climb, the bridge into the infield expecting to drop to the finish, but then having to do that twisty side-hill unpacked rutty soft buyswork section of trail right before the finish sucked.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmack
    Im just glad they axed the bonus infield mile they added last year. Took me by surprise, going over the "last" climb, the bridge into the infield expecting to drop to the finish, but then having to do that twisty side-hill unpacked rutty soft buyswork section of trail right before the finish sucked.
    From my pre-ride Thursday (Cat 2) I was pretty sure that lameass section you speak of is still there. I could be wrong though. Will have to find out tomorrow morning. If it’s the same section your are speaking of, it was all overgrown with long grass and seemingly a hike-a-bike ordeal. I could be wrong though. If this is the case, I am hoping the Cat 1s and Pros have stomped down all the vegetation beforehand (one of the bonuses of being in lowly Cat 2).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.