mtbr member
    Jun 2009

can you ride a cross bike on the XC race for cat 2/3?

First timer to race for me.

Wrench
    You could...

But it really depends on the course. What course is it?

NONDURO
    CX bike should fare just fine on the XC course. Not a technical course by any means. However, an extra measure of “squish” would be nice, run as large a size of tires as possible (Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45 are nice and squishy) since there will surely be some extremely rutted sections to contend with on some of the downhill sections. Oh yeah, and let us not forget about the Sandy Hill of Doom downhill section, just like riding down a sand dune.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I road mine last year. No problems from a technical standpoint (ran the Sandy Hill of Doom section). The problem I had was with the steep climbs and not having a low enough gear / strong enough legs. I ran a 46/32 and suffered in some parts. Hauled ass on the long fire road climb back to the finish area. Cross FTW!

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by kc929 View Post
    I road mine last year. No problems from a technical standpoint (ran the Sandy Hill of Doom section). The problem I had was with the steep climbs and not having a low enough gear / strong enough legs. I ran a 46/32 and suffered in some parts. Hauled ass on the long fire road climb back to the finish area. Cross FTW!
    So you won? ;o)
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    I ride those trails on my cross bike all the time. Of course, my cross bike is more of a skinny tire 9er.