b a n n e d

Bring your own bike?

So I'm going to Sea Otter this year for the first time and am wondering . . . do I bring my own bike or not?

I don't plan to race or do the Gran Fondo, and I don't want to have to worry about brining my ride and making sure its safe while I wander. Plus I plan to demo a lot of different stuff so I know that there'll be plenty for me to ride.

Any reason why my bike is a "must bring" item? I'm still obviously brining my shoes, helmet, gloves, etc.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Bring a bike

If your are not going to race bring a thrasher bike to get around. Sea otter is big and it will save you time going to the different events. Also a back pack for all the swag that is given out.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by street glide View Post
    If your are not going to race bring a thrasher bike to get around. Sea otter is big and it will save you time going to the different events. Also a back pack for all the swag that is given out.
    Cool thanks. That's what I was thinking . . . unfortunately I don't have a beater to ride, but maybe I can find one. Definitely bringing a big back pack though

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a very similar question. It's more along the lines of, can I ride my own bike on the same spots at the festival where people are demoing bikes. Also, what's the deal with the big air bag, super long line? do I need my own bike for that? Just trying to figure out if we need to bring better bikes/worse bikes, if we need to bring bikes at all etc. Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    semi-hijack here cuz it's a similar question. We were wondering the same thing about the bikes, our friends that are going w/us have only road bikes, will they be OK for getting around on?
    Also, how does one spectate the downhill event? Can we ride over to it? Lock the bikes up and take the shuttle?
    Can you bring food in?

thanks!

Bike Geek

food

Bring in all the food you want. Road bikes are ok, but a bit limiting depending on where you want to go.
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    awesome thanks! worst case if we have to walk due to the road bikes a little bit it's better than walking the whole thing!

b a n n e d
    Well, for those who come across this in the future . . . if you aren't racing, you definitely don't need a bike at Sea Otter. It would be nice on occasion, especially getting to and from the race courses, however, in the Expo it would just get in the way.