mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Bike Demos at SOC?

Just getting into mountain biking this year, so I'm not ready to race at Sea Otter. But I am looking for a way to blow my tax refund and a new bike seems like just the ticket... What's the deal with bike demos at SOC? Is it possible to take a demo bike onto the XC course or into Ft. Ord or are you confined to the parking lot demo area? If I play hooky from work, are vendors setup to demo bikes on Thursday or Friday?

Dude, got any schwag?
    They allow real test rides. Most will be set up Thursday, which will be less busy for you to try several bikes. Friday will be chaotic.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Track Junkie
    Bring your helmet, ID, and maybe a Credit Card for deposit to take their bikes out. They have a huge selection of brands, sizes, and models.

However, most brands are not actually for sale at the event. You'll have to head back to your LBS to make the final purchase.
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Octane
    Bring your helmet, ID, and maybe a Credit Card for deposit to take their bikes out. They have a huge selection of brands, sizes, and models.
    Thanks for the advice. All of that stuff is on my list, along with my SPD pedals. I know that most places usually have SPDs available, but I like to bring my own pedals just so I'm familiar with them.

However, most brands are not actually for sale at the event. You'll have to head back to your LBS to make the final purchase.
    Understood. I'm mostly trying to narrow down the field from the zillions of bikes that I've been reading about to 2 or 3 that are serious contenders. Sounds like SOC should be a great place to do that!