mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Aid Stations On XC Course?

Are there any aid stations on the XC course? Water anywhere?

NONDURO
    Last year there was a water station roughly 3/4 of the way to the finish line…*which seemed just a bit far, as one of my water bottles left my back about 5 miles into the race. This year I will be using a Camelbak for hydration instead. The donut holes and beer shots guy should be there again this year, hopefully stationed just a bit more toward the halfway point of the course. As for first aid stations, I am pretty sure they can be radio dispatched rather rapidly.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    The donut holes and beer shots guy should be there again this year, hopefully stationed just a bit more toward the halfway point of the course.
    haha...hey we're a grassroots underground organization...we're lucky we can get out to the top of that last climb let alone the middle of the course. Besides, you would seriously rather a beer and donut at the halfway mark of the course instead of nearly at the end?

(also not sure I'll be part of the beer/donut operation again this year...my race is on Friday, and then I'll stick around on Saturday, but doubtful I'll be there on Sunday)

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    (also not sure I'll be part of the beer/donut operation again this year...my race is on Friday, and then I'll stick around on Saturday, but doubtful I'll be there on Sunday)
    You still doing the singlespeed route? Give ’em hell, either way!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    You still doing the singlespeed route? Give ’em hell, either way!
    Yessir. Thanks and you too.

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak

mtbr member
    I'm sitting at work right now about 200yds from the Hostess Factory... they have an outlet store with lots and lots of mini doughnuts... and I have nothing to do but hang out on Sunday. Gets me thinking... Hmmm.... If I get up for an early ride like planned... boxes of doughnuts could be stationed around the course...
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

mtbr member
    Cat 1 race 2 loops... lap 1 got handed a dixie cup with water in it... thanks, like spitting on a forest fire... Lap 2 looks like they took it upon themselves to have people drop a bottle and take a bottle... which was better, but who's f-ing bottle did I get? WTF was in it?? yikes... I mean I took it, but yikes... no food, no goo's, nothin....

I agree it was unseasonably hot as hell, but come on... you ask and 50% of Cat 1 people who did 2 laps all say the same thing... they struggled with lap 2. I almost called a buddy on my phone that was Strava-ing the race......

Q

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sounds like you were not prepared quicklaps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by quicklaps View Post
    . you ask and 50% of Cat 1 people who did 2 laps all say the same thing... they struggled with lap 2. I almost called a buddy on my phone that was Strava-ing the race......

Q
    Sorry for OT, but my only suggestion for everyone that doesn't like the 2-lap 40 mile race format is to email or contact the race promoters and let them know your feelings as a Cat 1 racer. Make a suggestion to cut it back to 1 lap, or perhaps find a way to do 1.5 like they did for Pro Men in 2009.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInt View Post
    Sounds like you were not prepared quicklaps.
    ok, you tell me what a 'nuetral aid' should be for a 40 mile 6000 foot XC race? nothing? self-sag?

I have seen it all from 2 fully stocked on a 10 mile loop 8 hour race to a 2 loop metric race at altitude with nothing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by quicklaps View Post
    ok, you tell me what a 'nuetral aid' should be for a 40 mile 6000 foot XC race? nothing? self-sag?

I have seen it all from 2 fully stocked on a 10 mile loop 8 hour race to a 2 loop metric race at altitude with nothing...
    This is why you ask in advance. It shouldn't be a surprise as this is the support Sea Otter has provided for years now. I don't agree with it, but that is the way it is. I would never enter a 40 mile race and assume what neutral means. At least next year you will be prepared.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInt View Post
    This is why you ask in advance. It shouldn't be a surprise as this is the support Sea Otter has provided for years now. I don't agree with it, but that is the way it is. I would never enter a 40 mile race and assume what neutral means. At least next year you will be prepared.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I was covered, I had dudes handing me bottles everywhere, I was just sayin.. I mean I could have used maybe 1 more on the last climb, but my buddy with the PBR covered that with 1 mi to go... Seems the verbage has always been the same but the actual aid has degraded over the years.

Q

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot View Post
    Sorry for OT, but my only suggestion for everyone that doesn't like the 2-lap 40 mile race format is to email or contact the race promoters and let them know your feelings as a Cat 1 racer. Make a suggestion to cut it back to 1 lap, or perhaps find a way to do 1.5 like they did for Pro Men in 2009.
    2009 was hot too....

nah, personally i like the 40 mile race better... 20 miles is a sprint race... 1.5 or 30 mi maybe... we all knew we were going to race for 40, you train for 40, just not that type of heat for Monterey County... in April.... Monterey is, go to the beach in the summer or whenever it gets hot, bring a sweater. like for reals...

Q