mtbr member

39 mile Cat 1 XC

That sounds brutal, with 7500 ft. elevation gain!
    Last edited by CrippledOld Guy; 03-04-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: incorrect
    And yes, I am on my way to an ass kickin contest

mtbr member
    I think you might have read it wrong, Cat 2 and some Cat 1 only do one lap for 19.9 miles.
    Remember: CAT 1 (expert) racers (except 50 and older men, and all women) will complete two laps of the course for a total of 39.8 miles. CAT 1 (expert) men 50 years and older, Junior CAT 1 15-18, CAT 1 (expert) women, and all CAT 2 (intermediate) racers complete one lap of the course for a total of 19.9 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I think you might have read it wrong, Cat 2 and some Cat 1 only do one lap for 19.9 miles.
    Remember: CAT 1 (expert) racers (except 50 and older men, and all women) will complete two laps of the course for a total of 39.8 miles. CAT 1 (expert) men 50 years and older, Junior CAT 1 15-18, CAT 1 (expert) women, and all CAT 2 (intermediate) racers complete one lap of the course for a total of 19.9 miles.

craigstr, yep your right, I skimmed over that part, as it did not pertain to me (cat 3). That would be a huge leap from beginner to intermediate!
    And yes, I am on my way to an ass kickin contest

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Cool endurance race? Way to turn XC into an endurance event!! Makes zero sense when world class XC racers around the world are typically racing for 1.5 hours only.

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Cool endurance race? Way to turn XC into an endurance event!! Makes zero sense when world class XC racers around the world are typically racing for 1.5 hours only.
    Here are the results for last years Pro Cat1
    Under 1.5 hrs
    2012 Race Results (Volkswagen Sea Otter Classic - April 18-21, 2013)
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    i see the Cat 1's 19-49 having finishing times from just under 3hrs to just over 4. I think the 1.5hr times were the one lap course.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    40 miles in 1.5 hours? OK What is that...like 25mph+ avg speed?

ask
    user

39 mile Cat 1 XC

40 miles sounds great (good challenge) to me... Too bad there isn't a 2 lap Friday Cat 2 option.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    40 miles sounds great (good challenge) to me... Too bad there isn't a 2 lap Friday Cat 2 option.
    How about riding to the point of near collapse for 20 miles? I think you will be glad there is not a second lap waiting for you if you do so.

Sounds challenging to me at least, but what do I know..??

IMO, if you feel like you "want/need" that second lap, then one of two things are happening:
    1. Your warm up was not adequate

or

2. You left way way too much in the tank and did not push yourself for 20 miles.

ask
    user

39 mile Cat 1 XC

I'm probably doing something wrong... And I don't have much racing experience. But the last 2x I raced SS at the Otter, I kinda wished there was more race / another lap. But that probably means I didn't pace myself correctly.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I'm probably doing something wrong... And I don't have much racing experience. But the last 2x I raced SS at the Otter, I kinda wished there was more race / another lap. But that probably means I didn't pace myself correctly.
    Yes. That is exactly what that means. No matter how long the race whether 10 laps inside a tiny velodrome or a simple 20 miles at Sea Otter, if you "wish there was more racing" when you finish, then you just ain't tired enough and therefore left way too much in the tank imo.

I can see someone wishing for another 100 yards in a sprint finish sorta thing, but..

Warm up adequately. Race 100%. There will be no wishing for another 20 miles at Sea Otter. Trust me!

Lol.
    Last edited by rydbyk; 04-11-2013 at 01:33 PM.

ask
    user
    You may be right... but I'd still dig racing that course 2x.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    You may be right... but I'd still dig racing that course 2x.
    Well...either way, good luck out there! Get some!

ask
    user

39 mile Cat 1 XC

Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Well...either way, good luck out there! Get some!
    You too!

(Watch... Now that I made that comment, I'll probably blow up 1/2 way and limp across the finish. LOL)

mtbr member
    In cross country, Cat 1 course and Pro course are TOTALLY different.

Q

Rides a sledgehammer
    So Cat 2 is 1 lap at 19 miles and 3,750 feet of climbing. I remember in past years it was 19 miles and 2,800 feet of climbing. They must have changed the course a bit.

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by mytrustysteed View Post
    So Cat 2 is 1 lap at 19 miles and 3,750 feet of climbing. I remember in past years it was 19 miles and 2,800 feet of climbing. They must have changed the course a bit.
    I think the calculation is based on different measurements, unfortunately.

For example, some of the new Garmin Edge devices, specially the Edge 500, record elevation extremely low - probably the 2800 reading. Meanwhile, the older Edge 300 series recorded the highest levels from my experience. I now have the Edge 750 and it is somewhere in between.

If you check strava for records of last year's race, you will see numbers all over the place. I'd put the actual total elevation around maybe 3200 for one lap.

Cat1 does 2 laps (up to age 50)
    Cat2 does 1 lap
    Pro does 1 lap (don't know why, maybe timing as women pro start shortly after men)

Really not sure why cat1 do 2 laps, maybe to give slower starters a chance to catch up? It surely doesn't follow the guideline of trying to keep races around 1:30 to 2:00 in duration.

mtbr member
    Since CAT 1 is in the hot afternoon, what are some eating tips for a 39 mile Sea Otter?

lurkhard
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Since CAT 1 is in the hot afternoon, what are some eating tips for a 39 mile Sea Otter?
    I ate my normal big breakfast eggs, oatmeal, green smoothie. A turkey sandwich for lunch an hour and half before the race. Packed 6 powergels and a pack of powerbar blasts for the ride. I rode with two bottles and had a bottle hand up at the feed zone.

AND I HAD TO ASK THE GUY I WAS WORKING WITH FOR FOOD ON THE LAST CLIMB!!! Thanks Matt!

Recovery meal was 3 beers a teriyaki chicken rice bowl and a recovery powerbar. Couldn't find any cheeseburgers