mtbr member

2010 XC Schedule

Has anyone else taken a look at the schedule for next year's SOC? They've got Cat 1 XC racing FRIDAY at 2pm (not sure how you do 2 laps with the start and finish in a different spot), Cat 2 on Sat (same as las year), and Cat 3 on Sunday morning and Pro's in the afternoon.

Seem's backwards to me and I don't like it. Makes it so realistically I can't race Super D on Friday at 12pm if I'm racing xc at 2.
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Yeah...

Merlin brought up this point about a month ago. For him, it was less about the Super-D and more about the switch in scheduling. I would like to do the Super-D and emailed the sea otter people, but have not heard back from them. I am fairly certain they want to keep the really large Cat 2 and 3 groups attending and got some heat about it last year...so they gave them the weekend races.

While I can see their point, and know that the people riding cat 2 and 3 like this schedule better, I am a bit bummed. It has been said that we, as cat 1 racers, now know what it feels like to be put on an "off" day and have to take off work and such ...it has also been stated that we, as cat 1 racers, are the ones that put in more time training and traveling to other races while cat 2 and 3 do the local ones.

In any case, it is another evolution in the schedule for Sea Otter...one which will probably exclude me in future years...but I will be there this year.

mtbr member
    I don't understand why they can't do Cat 2 and 3 on Saturday. They used to do it that way. Or for that matter, 1 and 2 on Sat and 3 and Pro Sun. Shoot they used to do all xc cats on the same day!

Race Reports & Updates

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Very true...

I am not sure why they changed that. It seems like they have added so many events, like road events, that they need to clear the track during certain times. It seems that if they start/finish in a different area (not on the track), they could run more events at once.

That said, Sea Otter is a festival. And, just like the National Championships, it outgrows 2 days in a hurry.

I'm not holding my breath on them changing things back...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ...Don't bet to bummed just yet. A buddy of mind has a working relationship with the Sea Otter promoters and has discussed this very issue. As of a week ago, it sounds like the CAT 1 race on Friday was a misprint and that they will most likely move CAT 1 back to Sunday...like last year. Also, BLM is going to be doing work (erosion control) on many of the trails in the Fort Ord (Sea Otter) area. So, my buddy was told "Don't be surprised if there is a course change announced at the last minute." "We, will try to keep it the same as last year, but that will be predicated on the BLM's maintenance schedule." So, there it is. Hurry up and get ready to wait.

mtbr member
    I was VERY upset to see the Cat 1 moved to Friday, since I wnated to try Super D this year and do the a road race
    I turn 50 next year so I only do 1 lap But having said that I would be even more upset if I was doing 2 laps, starting at 2pm? That sucks!
    I hope you are right and they will move the cat 1 back to Sunday
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    I emailed Jeff Frost last week and asked if this schedule was for real and he replied with a one word answer "yes." No explanation to get my buy in, but whatever. I remember from last year, even though the Cat 1 race was on Sun and the 4 day event schedule and registration site said it was Sunday, the pdf docs like the ones on the site right now still said we raced Sat.

As for course changes... I'll just be happy if the Pro's race the same distance we do this year.

Race Reports & Updates

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

At least you got a response...

I emailed last month and got nothing. As Merlin can attest, I am not one to complain. I will just say that having the Cat 1 race on Sunday will make me a happy camper That said, I don't wish cat 2 or 3 to have to give up weekdays either.

Can't we have our cake and eat it too?

Lusus Naturae
    You could always move up to pro and race Sunday.

Personally I don't care if I race Friday, Saturday or Sunday ... I'm just happy to be there racing, checking out the other racers, taking pictures and enjoying the event.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    You could always move up to pro and race Sunday.
    I tried that already, usac said nope not yet.

Race Reports & Updates

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I'm with ya Clint. I was planning on racing Cat 1 SS this year, and was bummed to see it on Friday rather than Sunday. The 2 PM start time will be something a bit different too eh? And indeed, I was planning on trying Super D as well this year, but with this schedule, not possible

Lusus Naturae
    Having raced the 2-4 PM start time on Fridays in the past, I can tell you its much more relaxing than would be trying to show up at 8am. I'm debating how I will be able to do this ... I am not planning on camping and don't have any team support at all. So far I am probably going to just get a cheap hotel room in Salinas, like the previous two years.

Getting up early I guess wont be too hard since I tend to wake up early on race days anyway and rarely get a good night's sleep the day before a big race. These issues are non-existent when racing later in the day. Its easier to prepare and relax.

And no worries about being less a part of the action ... SOC does not have that many fans/spectators as it should, regardless of the race day. A real shame. Its always nice, however, to see the spectators lined up on the final climb. I was hurting so much this year I couldn't even force a smile or a thanks to the encouragement. Next year will be different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Having raced the 2-4 PM start time on Fridays in the past, I can tell you its much more relaxing than would be trying to show up at 8am. I'm debating how I will be able to do this ... I am not planning on camping and don't have any team support at all. So far I am probably going to just get a cheap hotel room in Salinas, like the previous two years.

Getting up early I guess wont be too hard since I tend to wake up early on race days anyway and rarely get a good night's sleep the day before a big race. These issues are non-existent when racing later in the day. Its easier to prepare and relax.
    For me the 8am start is much easier, mainly because of fueling since I don't like to eat before races if I can.

Race Reports & Updates

mtbr member

From Frank Yohannon

Guys, we've been following this thread (well, we actually follow them all) and wanted to jump in with a bit of perspective and some information. Many of us on the Sea Otter staff have decades of experience both producing and promoting events. It may surprise you to know that we've also been known to strap on a number plate ourselves from time to time.

You may know who Frank Yohannan is - for those of you that don't, he's the President and CEO of The Sea Otter Classic. He wants you to be able to come here to ask questions and get answers. And if you have a beef, well, we want to hear about that too. We can't do anything about it (or attempt to anyway) unless it sees the light of day. We might not be able to rearrange everything to your satisfaction, but you have our promise that we'll try. And if we can't you'll get an explanation. Sometimes it's just as important to to be heard, even if the resolution isn't what you'd hoped for.

I was in the process of writing a post for this thread when my email program pinged with a response from Frank. I'm not sure that I could put it any better than this, so here you go:

When setting our schedules we're faced with many requests; from our athletes, from sponsors, from expo exhibitors and various public agencies. Our goal is to accommodate as many as we can, but invariably some compromises have to be made. So many events, so few hours! We appreciate your input and ask that you continue to share your concerns and recommendations with us. We'll do what we can to satisfy your requests, but keep in mind it's a delicate balancing act - having all the right people in the right place at the right time - staff, volunteers, racers, medical support, timing, officials...the list goes on for a bit, but I think you get the point. It's sometimes inevitable that we see some overlap.

What we can promise is that we're listening and that we're constantly looking for ways to improve the Sea Otter experience whether with the schedule, with amenities or the hundreds of other things that collectively make Sea Otter one of the grandest cycling events in the world.. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to articulate your concerns. Looking forward to seeing you in April at the 20th Annual Sea Otter Classic.

Frank
    The Sea Otter Classic

...umm, I think he does a pretty good job of summing up.

So keep talking. We're listening. And as Frank said, thanks for taking the time. Your feedback is important to us and a crucial component of how we build not just the 2010 Sea Otter, but all of them for years to come.
    Support Open Space!

mtbr member
    I appreciate the response! And it's nice to know that you're monitoring a thread like this and questions and concerns would be heard and responded to.

You said if you can't make things to our satisfaction, we'll at least get an explanation. Assuming this schedule is your final decision, is there an explanation as to why this XC schedule is better than last year? If the only answer is something like "there are more cat 3 riders than cat 1 and we'd like to see more traffic at the event expo on Sunday," then that's fine. I'm just interested in the reasoning for the change and I understand decisions are made for the benefit of the entire event.

Race Reports & Updates

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I do also wonder WHY the move was made. I race cat 2 so this move doesn't directly effect me, but I know many people it does effect. Aside from traveling concerns, I think the biggest problem is you're taking away the opportunity for many cat 1 racers to race Super D.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I want to do the CAT 3 this year. I live in Rockland County New York. The trails here are the typical NE rocky, rooty, slow going technical crap. What is the Sea Otter course like? I've heard California/West Coast stuff is more open and flowing, fast and hard packed. Is this the case?

mtbr member
    I grew in Westcheter and have done a lot of riding back there when I visit family. The trails at Sea Otter are very different from you are used to. Prepare for hard pack, with some sandy sactions, and A LOT longer harder climbing then you are used to. The course is not technical at all and you can run fast rolling light tires like kenda SB8.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Sea Otter

http://www.cyclingdirt.org/videos/co...ic-pro-mens-xc

Thanks for the information. That is funny about Westchester. I grew up in Ossining/New Castle area. The above link shows some good footage from the XC race. I guess I should try increasing the avg. power level for this, due to the sustained climbs. What town are you from in Westchester?

mtbr member
    Yes, work on your climbing, and get as light as U can. I grew up in the Edgemont/Scrasdale area, and moved to Nor Cal back in 1983. I did not starting riding in westchester till I went back to visit and have done a lot of riding there over the years. Lots of fun a lot more technical then the riding out here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Scarsdale huh? Very nice upscale area. I like your motto. That's why I ride really. I've been riding in Orange County, up in Newburgh on the land surrounding Stewart Airport. That is awesome riding up there. Not too technical and flowing, banked singletrack with big shale rock formations to ride over. Very fast sweeping, rolling riding. The best place around here.
    We used to ride Saxon Woods in White Plains which was cool too. The best place in Westchester now is Graham Hills in Pleasantville. Blue Mtn. in Peekskill as well.