mtbr member

WARNING-Do not use a King Headset on the new Sparks!

Dont make the same mistake I did, I "upgraded" my headset to a King 1 1/8" by 1 1/2" inset headset to get rid of the open bearing lower and this happened

Called Scott, they called King and long story short, King lower is 56mm and the Spark uses a 55mm. I couldn't find anything posted about it on either site so just making sure others out there dont make the same mistake. I am without a front triangle and who knows when Scott will have more, they are selling as fast as they get them. They said at least a month, maybe two.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Should of posted up before hand, Scott uses whats called European standard which is 55mm as opposed to American standard which is 56mm.

Ritchey as of right now is the only manufacture that I know of that makes a 55mm OD headset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Some FSA Orbit headsets also fit.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to figure out what happened, did you try to press the misfit lower in so hard that the top of the head tube collapsed? you must have put a ton of force on it to get it to crush in like that...

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by willymcd View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what happened, did you try to press the misfit lower in so hard that the top of the head tube collapsed? you must have put a ton of force on it to get it to crush in like that...
    Seriously, I'm wondering the same thing? That's quite a feat of strength to get something like that to "happen".

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So basically there is no upgrading the headset?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Only a small list of manufactures make a ZS/55 or 55 O.D. headset. This is called European Standard.

All the other bikes pretty much use US Standard which is ZS/56

The only manufactures that I confirmed that make them right now is Ritchey and Acros.

Just found out Hope makes one as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good. The headset on my 12 Scale Expert has developed slop. I dont know if its an adjustment or what, my bike mechnical skills/experience is limited. I'm taking it in tomorrow and if it's in need of replacement, well I don't want to replace it with the model that already failed me once.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The headset on the Elite/Team and Expert use a non sealed bearing. The race on the fork acts as the crown race and seal for the bearing. This setup leads to play over time.

All you have to do is loosen top stem cap bolt, loosen the stem side bolts. Jiggle the stem downward, then tighten the stem cap bolt first, when you're happy the slop/play is gone (done by holding front brake and rocking bike back and forth) tighten the stem side bolts and your done.

Make sure everything is line up as well, dont crank the top cap bolt super tight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks! It was exactly as you described. All is well now. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Update Information.

If you guys are in need of an upgraded headset. You can have the bike shop order through Scott which they told me they have several in stock and are ordering more.

If you want something "Upgraded" Hope offers one. They call it the Hope G - Integral Zerostack 55 cup. Part code HSCG.

I was gonna go with the Hope but Scott notified me they had them in stock, the Hope ones have to be shipped from Europe.