mtbr member
    Jan 2010

wait a second, what's up with this DT M3 shock?

I am narrowing down my next bike purchase and the Genius 940 and 740 were near the top of my list. Then I noticed they don't have the same rear shock the others have. Now I've read some negative reviews of the Nude 2, and this shock is suppossed to be lower tier than that one?

Then I read some more and it seems it doesn't even function like the Nude 2. The twinloc advantage was the coolest thing about this bike, but it looks like you don't get to take advantage of it at this price level. And I'm too poor to the next level up.

Anybody have any experience with this shock?

I'm bummed now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey There,

I don't have any experience with this bike, but I too was bummed when I was researching the bike. Now I'm really leaning towards the 930 to get the LTD vs. LRD function. I was really impressed with the Traction mode based on peoples reviews. I understand that should not be everything to go on, but my heart was set on this bike for a while now, wish it was a little cheaper. But what the heck, I probably wont buy anything else for years and years and I have been on a trek 4300 since 08, so this should be an awesome upgrade.

From what I read you still get the benefits of twin lock with the LRD function but not the difference in geometry as per their description. The "platform" should diminish bob and squat but truly I have no idea.

LTD: "LTD is only available on SCOTT bicycles equipped with our DAS (Dual Air Spring) suspension technology. This unique suspension design allows for a static Lockout, available via our TwinLoc switch on the handlebars. It also offers "Traction" mode. This mode offers a unique geometry and travel adjustment because of the air volume adjustment via DAS. This differs from a 'Platform' that does not allow for a unique travel setting and spring rate. Descend mode is another unique travel and geometry setting for the bike adjoined by the full travel the bike offers."

LRD: "LRD continues to use the TwinLoc switch, but the 'Ride' mode is a platform only and does not offer a geometry adjustment or a travel setting. You still get three settings, but not three unique bike characteristics. LRD is offered on models equipped with aftermarket suspension, like FOX."

I feel your pain bud, I hope I get a change to demo it before buying. This bike looks awesome

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Wish I knew better what the deal was with this. The Genius has moved from near the top of my list to the bottom.

Can't find anymore info on this shock to explain it better.

bike rider
    Changing the air spring makes a better "firm" mode than changing the damping . The reduced sag is welcome when a climb shfts your weight back. I own bikes with each style shock and you are right to covet the "Twin Air" model.
    The lower model uses a shock functionally similar to the Fox RPL on my Ibis. The 3 positions affect the low speed compreasion circuit and make the damping soft, firm, or locked out. It will still always fall into the same sag point, though firm and lockout will fall to that point more slowly after each bump. The changes do limit pedal bob but don't significantly make the bike sit higher and change geometry.
    The "Twin Air" shock has 2 air chambers that function as the spring. The lever determines whether both, one, or none can be activated which resilts in soft long travel, firm short travel, or no travel. When only one chamber is used the shock is very progressive so it reaches the sag point air pressure sooner and sags about half as much as in full travel mode. This makes a soft, long travel bike have the climbing geometry of an XCer. I love my Genius LT and have never seen a 7" bike that can climb like it.
    In my opinion the Twin Air shock is the key feature of Scotts so without it the bike should be compared directly to any similar travel bike with a Pro-Pedal or similar shock.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 11-11-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    thanks for the explanation

bike rider
    The Genius 740 is still a nice bike, just I'd rather have the Twin Air shock for its geometry changes or a Rockshox Monarch which probably has a nicer ride. Both these are upgrades that could be done in the future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    if you upgrade to the Monarch won't you lose the Twinloc?

bike rider
    Yes, you'd lose the remote actuatuon but Monarchs are available with an LSC switch for a firm or even locked out setting.