mtbr member

Smile Upgrades and in what order for a Genius 740?

I thought it might be good to get opinions on what upgrades and in what order everyone would do / has done, assuming you couldn't afford to do them all at once... Where do you get most bang for your upgrade buck?

Here's my thoughts:
    1. Dropper post - this was my first upgrade - I put a Rock Shox reverb stealth on and it has been great

2. 2x10 drivetrain - my 2nd upgrade - This was easy and cost only the few bucks for the bash guard

3. New grips - I thought the stock ones sucked so I put on some Lizard Skin Northshores

4. Tubeless conversion - Stans Flow kit after dropping probably $60 on pinch flat replacement tubes (it's really rocky where I ride)

Here's what I still want to do but not sure which order for the first two:
    1. New Fox CTD remote shock to work with the Twin lock system - well documented and awesome thread on replacing the harsh DT Swiss Nude shock

2. Carbon (Light Bicycle) rims - The stock syncros wheels are super clunky and the hubs suck

3. XT brake upgrade?

4. XT crank upgrade?

Other suggestions. What have you done and why?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I don't have a 740, I have a 940.
    1. Replaced pedals with Crank Brothers 50/50 2's
    2. Replaced seat with WTB Pure V
    3. Replaced stock wheel set with Stan's Flow EX with Hope Pro Evo 2's
    4. Replace stock rotors with XT Ice Tech's
    1A: I don't ride clipless and the Shimano hybrids drove me nuts.
    2A: Stock seat was way to hard for my liking.
    3A: After tacoing 2 stock front rims they had to go.
    4A: Hope hubs are 6 bolt , stockers CL
    Next up will be a riser bar, I'm not overly fond of the flat bar it came with, I'll probably get a Renthal Fat Bar along with some sort of lock on grips ODI's maybe.
    The Nobby Nics lasted all of 4 months , I replaced them with Kenda Nevegals.
    The Nevegals are being replaced by Conti X Kings on Tuesday , tubeless.The Nevegals while offering great grip are heavy and the rolling resistance are less than desired, if I did downhill stuff they'd probably be great.
    Once I get the bar and tires sorted out , I'll look at a Fox shock to replace the DT Swiss thats on there, but first I want to see if I can get the stocker dialed in better, so far it's been a challenge. After that? I've toyed with a 1x10 setup but havent made my mind up yet.

I've have well over 3k into it and don't like to upgrade stuff unless it's necessary. I'd look at rims first but thats just me.

I'll probably flip the shock chip in mine from low to high and see what that does for the handling. There isnt a lot of elevation changes where I live anyways. Enjoy the 740!
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I did this on my bike.

swap to 142x12 axle if possible. got it here Scott Genius LT Dropout Set IDS 2 142/RWS 12 - Scott from Westbrook Cycles UK and this is the thru bolt that works Amazon.com: DT Swiss RWS Thru-Bolt 12x142mm Aluminum Lever: Sports & Outdoors the shimano bolt didn't fit.

brakes i ordered this XT on fibica for $209 Shimano Deore XT BR-M785 Hydraulic Brake Black

The CTD fox shock is a must (I would do this before anything else) its a 200x57mm with 8x22mm hardware, I also decided for a renthal handlebar 750mm wide and a truvativ stem 40mm

I didnt have budget for new wheels I just changed the hubs XT front and shimano zee rear hub, also a shimano zee rear derailleur.

tires I use kenda nevegals they are heavy but have a good grip for downhill and also have crankbrother mallet pedals......I don't care to much about climbing fast...i upgraded my bike more for descending but also have a maxxis set of tire that I use more for XC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My upgrade plan is not much different than others:

- Dropper post
    - Tubeless
    - Fox CTD remote shock to use with Twinloc
    - bashguard

One thing I have been looking at is getting a chain guide like this: Bionicon USA C.Guide Chainguide

relatively inexpensive upgrade and some bling.