mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Two aftermarket shock options for Scott Ransom

I think today made me realize it's time for a change. The rebound is acting a little strange and I just don't think the equalizer shock works well anymore overall (put enough pressure for my weight and the bike feels like there's no suspension. Take out some and it wallows in it's stroke).

So my options are:

Fox RP23 and have Push Ind valve and tune it.

Fox DHX air and have Avalance tune it.

I suppose the main comparison here would be which shock is better suited for this frame.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    I think today made me realize it's time for a change. The rebound is acting a little strange and I just don't think the equalizer shock works well anymore overall (put enough pressure for my weight and the bike feels like there's no suspension. Take out some and it wallows in it's stroke).

So my options are:

Fox RP23 and have Push Ind valve and tune it.

Fox DHX air and have Avalance tune it.

I suppose the main comparison here would be which shock is better suited for this frame.
    If your rebound is acting strange that's likely an indication it needs service. The rebound on my equalizer all of a sudden starting acting strange and when I went to check air pressures, the shock blew a bunch of oil out the air valve. I ended up paying $175 for a full rebuild and the shock feels as good as new.

The only alternative shock I've heard being successfully retrofitted is 190mm DHX Air 5.0 with a swap to a small volume air can. If you do some searches you'll see some discussions on what is involved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Oh yeah I've already read all of those... I just seem to remember someone saying the RP3-type is better suited. Ah well, I don't even know who rebuilds the Equalizer anymore so I'm working on getting a DHX air.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    Ah well, I don't even know who rebuilds the Equalizer anymore so I'm working on getting a DHX air.
    Well if you decide you want to rebuild your Equalizer, the place I used is REAKTIF. They were pretty easy to deal with and will work with customers directly, which is nice because I hate having to go though bike shops.