Thread: Turning a Scale

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Turning a Scale

Thinking about a Scale 29er and am currently working on borrowing one for a proper test ride. Based on the published geometry it's not a bike I would normally consider due to the slack head angle. I've ridden bikes in the past with slack head angles that were hard to turn on flat ground (the majority of my riding is on twisty fairly flat trails) because the front wheel didn't want to stick. Given all the great reviews of the bikes I'm pretty sure the Scott design doesn't have that problem, and there are certainly some nice advantages that come with a slack head angle.

The other bikes I'm considering are a Giant XTC and an S-Works - two bikes I already know I really like and would be happy with.

So my question while I'm waiting on my test ride is whether there are any Scott riders out there who also like the steeper head angle bikes...or is it a situation where for whatever reason only the Scott works for you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would suggest you add a Trek Superfly 9.8-9.8 to the Scott geo group. This bike has quick steering and a slack ht angle because of its 51mm offset fork and 435mm chain stays. Stable downhill at speed and railing curves, like the Scott. But it has more rear tire side to side clearance(10mm+) and excellent damping from the design group that builds Trek's carbon road bikes. Black Friday deals at my lbs. I'm working on a big discount on a 14 order.
    I can't ride an XTC ht angle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks, will do on adding the Trek.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just got a Scale 940 and I like it a lot! I just started riding again and I bought a Trek Mamba. It was like trying to drive a train though a trail. The Scott carves right through with no problem. When I was riding the Mamba I was body blocking trees on a tight trail by my house. I'm now riding through faster an not hitting trees trees. My shoulders like the Scott better I'm sure! Like I said I just started riding again after quite a few years and bikes have changed a lot but from the ones i test rode the Scott was what I liked the most! Good luck! Let us know what you end up with!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Scott Scale's geo and cockpit setup is fantastic. I tested 3 other bikes and The Scale was by far the best feeling. It's HTA isn't all that slack, it's just slack-er, it's nice though. You have to learn how to flow with the slacker HTAs, I find it highly enjoyable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Still working on getting a ride. I've had a ride set up twice but nasty weather has closed the trails both times.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Short chain stays more than make up for the slacker HTA, this bike rails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've been proven wrong many times in my assumptions about on-paper dimensions and real life handling, but, in spite of that, here's my emerging theory about the Scott fwiw...

A large Niner fits me perfectly, and I really like the way they handle (if I could fit a 36t XX1 chainring on a Niner I wouldn't have started exploring other options). So apart from the significant head angle difference, how do they compare? Chainstay length, front center, bb drop, and the resultant wheelbase are all about the same.

The front center is about the same because the Scott's TT is a bit shorter. The Scott's shorter TT difference coupled with extra length from the head angle results in a wash with the Niner. As a result, with the forks locked out, the handling ought to be very similar. And as the forks compress the wheelbase of the Scott will get shorter a bit quicker which is probably a good thing for turning.

And in the time it took to write this up, I could have actually learned something of value by going for a ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: Turning a Scale

Scott Scale *****es!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just closing the loop on my question in case any other old-timers are in a similar situation. After arranging for rides several times that fell through, I finally got to spend some time on a Scale (29er) yesterday.

Yes, it handles great, even for someone who loves steep head angles.

In the meantime I went ahead and pulled the trigger a while ago on a Giant XTC Advanced SL 29er. Two very different rides but both are very effective. If I was buying today, I would get the Scott just to try a different approach. First ride I was at least as fast on 95% of a trail system with some tight singletrack, gravel two-track and some technical downhills. And I think there is probably more speed to discover in the Scott with more time in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just installed a Works Components Angle headset (1 deg) on my XTC 29r as I found the head angle to steep and the bike way to responsive and sketchy on the very steep technical trails. Have not had a chance to take it on the trails, but just riding from the shop to the house, it felt a little bit more relaxed and did not give me that feeling of the front wheel wanting to fold in under the handlebars when standing and pedaling and turning the bars(best description I could come up with). Will see how she fares on the trails this week as I am hoping to fall in love with the bike again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi..Can't really comment on the head angle as I jumped from a 25 yr old ride to a Scale 960. Like it a lot, it is a medium frame where I think I would be ok on a small @5'7" but the medium felt better when I was trying them out (may have been the 29" wheels) playing with my mind.

It is a fast ride, I find it great handling! my 2c