mtbr member

Which tune options for Monarch on 2012 Spark 29?

That DT Swiss Nude 2 POS has gotta go... First race on the new bike this past weekend and I hate this shock. Going to go with a Rock Shox Monarch and need some help from you guys deciding on which tune options for rebound and compression I should go with. Pretty sure I want the high volume can, as I like a plush ride.

My riding is XC race in Ontario, Canada, so lots of short burst climbs and descents with roots, log-overs and rock gardens. I come from a motocross background, so I like softer suspension than any XC racer I know. I charge rough technical sections like an all-mountain rider and this is where I make up my time. Bob doesn't bother me, but I am coming from a Giant with Maestro, so I haven't really experience it yet. I had my DT Swiss set up with 80psi (I weigh 155lbs) and it was still deflecting off of every root and square-edged bump on the course. Didn't notice excessive bob on the climbs, but I'm not a big wattage guy at all and like I said, bob doesn't bother me unless it is ridiculous.

So, can anyone suggest which state of tune I should get on the Monarch and also which model? I don't care for the hydro lockout of the XX, as would rather have no remote lock-out with set-it-and-forget-it that's plush.

Thanks for any input you guys can offer, as the tuning options have had different reviews from guys with different riding styles and completely different frames. I'm usually not the spoon-feeding type, but am looking for other people's experiences with this shock on a Spark 29. Thanks!
    Tired of costly ads? Try our "Marketing Publicity";
    www.loudspeakercommunications.com
    info@loudspeakercommunications.com

mtbr member
    Looks like my only option as an aftermarket Monarch in the 6.5"x1.5" is a Medium/Medium tune. Assuming I can still get a high-volume canister, but not sure if the design of the Spark's suspension would benefit from it? So, anyone have any insight? Should I be looking at a Fox product if the M/M isn't the best tune option for my riding style and/or frame design?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Why not a fox ctd?

mtbr member
    I'd recommend an Monarch RT3. I wouldn't even consider a Fox. The air can volume is more a function of leverage ratio and rider weight. You will want a standard volume can. The comp tune will more define the level of plushness. I'd say a low comp tune and a low or med reb tune. Reb is based on your weight and leverage ratio. Check ebay. This size is usually in abundance. Another plus of the monarch is that it is user serviceable and tuneable, meaning you can change the tune if needed by ordering a new piston assembly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    I'd recommend an Monarch RT3. I wouldn't even consider a Fox. The air can volume is more a function of leverage ratio and rider weight. You will want a standard volume can. The comp tune will more define the level of plushness. I'd say a low comp tune and a low or med reb tune. Reb is based on your weight and leverage ratio. Check ebay. This size is usually in abundance. Another plus of the monarch is that it is user serviceable and tuneable, meaning you can change the tune if needed by ordering a new piston assembly.
    Thanks KTM. I agree 100%. I just found out that there is a new Monarch RT3 Debonair out soon and have it on order!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    great news on the debonair, worth a try

mtbr member
    Kind of different, but I just ordered a Rockshox Monarch RT3 take off from a 2013 Canondale Scalpel 29er. The frames have the same suspension design and similar leverage ratios. I believe it is also a M/M tune.

Edit: I forgot to mention that mine is a 2011 Spark.
    Last edited by SQUIRRELSHOOTR; 06-23-2014 at 06:33 PM.