Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Test ride on a 2012 Scale 29er,

Well, I was entertaining the thought of pimping my 10 Rockhopper 26er, I started crunching digits and realized a couple things, what it'll cost me for tires/wheels and disc brake set-up, new bar/stem and some new drive line components, it'll be way more then the bike is actually worth.

After a couple miles through the woods on a friends GF 29er, I started to consider going that route(again). Well I had to drop the LBS today, I and started talking to a mtbr'r there about a couple bikes Ive been considering Trek Cobia, Specialized Carve, he walked me over to a new Scale 29er Comp and said give this a spin, out the door, down the road and into the woods I went, it was instant gratification, and I was 29er hooked. I got back, we shot the BS around for a bit and he'll be bringing in an Elite, and a Team for me check out.

With the dollar to dollar ratio, Scott offers more in their bikes then the other big two do, I have a budget I'd like to stick to, and will be giving great thought the Scott Scale 29er Team or the Elite. But I will guarantee it will be a new Scott Scale 29.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    heres a pic of the Scale 29 Comp, the color scheme is pretty cool looking. I think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you can afford it, definitely go for the elite. The money you'll save on the far superior components make up for the markup. The fork alone is more than the price difference, plus throw in 2012 XT components.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    If you can afford it, definitely go for the elite. The money you'll save on the far superior components make up for the markup. The fork alone is more than the price difference, plus throw in 2012 XT components.
    Yea, Im seriously considering the Elite, I need to go back and test ride the Team and the Elite when they come in, The Elite will be a couple weeks or so, but the Team is in another store.
    Cant wait to ride them both. I just felt so in control on the Comp, I can only imagine what the shock on the other 2 will be like.

empty beer member
    The team and elite should ride the same for the most part. The difference is going to be that the reba on the elite and the drivetrain. Being able to fine tune the reba for my weight and terrain is great. Then you have the weight difference to consider also. It is a big jump in value in my opinion. If you were looking to upgrade your RH because you aren't satisfied with its components then I highly recommend getting the elite from the start so you don't have the same issue next year. I am all about upgrades and making my bike mine, but my drivetrain is still stock and working as good as new after 500 miles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    WrecklessREX, Im highly considering the Elite, looking forward to taking it for a lil spin. Im going to put some cash down on it when it comes in, atleast if I cant swing the Elite when the time comes the Team is a huge difference over the Comp, either way I would be very happy with any of those in the Scale 29 line up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just got my 2012 Scale 29 Elite. $1,400 before tax. Here she is. Hoping to get her on the trails in the next couple days.

2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    GolfNut, give us all an update on it, Im really anxious to hear how it handles with that shock upgrade over the Comp, I was very impressed with the Comp, it felt so much more planted then my RH. Im up in the air the last 2 days, I stopped by another dealer, and he can do a Salsa El Mariachi build for me compatible to the Scott Elite.....now Im really confused. That is a great looker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticCat500 View Post
    GolfNut, give us all an update on it, Im really anxious to hear how it handles with that shock upgrade over the Comp, I was very impressed with the Comp, it felt so much more planted then my RH. Im up in the air the last 2 days, I stopped by another dealer, and he can do a Salsa El Mariachi build for me compatible to the Scott Elite.....now Im really confused. That is a great looker.
    Will do. Although I don't have much to compare this bike to, as I'm just getting back into MTB after a multi-year hiatus.

Going to run the Reba fork pressures at 135 on both the positive and negative for this first run to see how it feels and where the little red rubber band gets pushed to. Just stepped on a scale with what I am likely to be wearing (clothes, full Camelbak Mule, full water bottle, helmet, etc.) and the scale said 196 lbs. which. The Reba fork says for 180-200 lbs, the pressures should be 120-135 on the positive and negative.

Will report back after the ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticCat500 View Post
    Well, I was entertaining the thought of pimping my 10 Rockhopper 26er, I started crunching digits and realized a couple things, what it'll cost me for tires/wheels and disc brake set-up, new bar/stem and some new drive line components, it'll be way more then the bike is actually worth.

After a couple miles through the woods on a friends GF 29er, I started to consider going that route(again). Well I had to drop the LBS today, I and started talking to a mtbr'r there about a couple bikes Ive been considering Trek Cobia, Specialized Carve, he walked me over to a new Scale 29er Comp and said give this a spin, out the door, down the road and into the woods I went, it was instant gratification, and I was 29er hooked. I got back, we shot the BS around for a bit and he'll be bringing in an Elite, and a Team for me check out.

With the dollar to dollar ratio, Scott offers more in their bikes then the other big two do, I have a budget I'd like to stick to, and will be giving great thought the Scott Scale 29er Team or the Elite. But I will guarantee it will be a new Scott Scale 29.
    How does the feel from riding on a normal 26"??

empty beer member
    Golf Nut, It took me some playing around with pressures to get my reba dialed in. It always handled great but it took me a while to find the comfort in it. It was the difference in my hands going numb or not. It seems perfect now and may have just been a break in period.

AC500, I stopped by the shop and looked at the team and think it has a decent build. Its not a bad bike in any way. I have been seeing a lot of salsa deals out there also(NIB $300 frames). If I wasn't racing, the el mariachi would be a cool, fun bike to have. How does the comps components compare to your RHs? Are you going to outgrow them just as quick? Just something to consider. Either way you go I think you'll be happy and I'm sure you'll have fun on it.

By the way, I am not good with budgets when it comes to bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nitebikerz

Im no expert, but for me the 29 just seemed a whole lot crisper, she rode much nicer and handled completely different then my RH, I felt as though I was in control of the bike, shortly after a few loops through the trails I was into the bike much more then I ever was my 26 RH, and not once did I feel I needed to pull back and let up like I have of my RH, in fear of me and the bike not being able to handle it......I was just completely impressed with it.

WrecklessREX, right now the El Mariachi is taking precedence over the Scott, I only rode the Comp because thats what the dealer had in stock, had he a Team or Elite I would've hopped on both, and we'd probably be talking about my new Scott Elite, lol. My budget plans were right around the new Elite cost, so the Comp was simply a test ride, and for me oddly enough it felt better then the more expensive Carve and the Cobie I rode as well, and I found the Elite to have a better array of components. Im going over the spec built El Mar 2 with my LBS, but looking to build it in the Jungle Fever Green, it will exceed my budget for sure, but may be worth it in the long run.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Finally got out on the bike today. Put on about 17 miles in a little over 2 hours, and it was probably 45% dirt trails laced with roots, mud, twisties, ups and downs. The other 55% was paved trails. If you're from Houston, it's known as the Anthills. Started at Hwy 6, went all the way to Wilcrest on the dirt trails (stayed as close to the water as I dared), then went to Beltway 8 on paved trails. Came back to Hwy 6 on the paved trails of Terry Hershey Park as I did not have the energy to go back on the dirt. Not the bike's fault - I'm just very out of shape.

Not sure what to say really. This was my first time on these trails, and the first time I have done a ride that long since probably high school (I am 38 now!). My sit bones are barking bad! I need to invest in some good bike shorts.

As for the bike, it performed really well I thought. There are some really rough sections down by the water - lots of big roots to navigate (almost did an endo one time), lots of short but steep climbs (had to walk up 2-3 of them as I just didn't have the skill to pedal up them), and some slow-speed turns. Not once did my arms and hands feel like they were going to go numb or anything like that. I had all the gears I needed - I pretty much stayed on the middle cog up front, except for a few times when I had to go to the smallest front cog to get up some hills.

At 135 psi on the + and - sides of the Reba fork, it seemed to work well, but I have no frame of reference to gauge off of. I definitely used the entire range of travel - especially when the front wheel got stuck in a root and I almost endo'd! Glad there was not a video camera running on me there!

On the paved trails, I had no issues maintaining a good pace - which for me was anywhere from 10-15 mph on the flats. I think the 29" wheels probably helped me there. And I did not think the 29" wheels slowed me down or hindered me getting through the dirt trails. My own skill level had way more to do with that!

BTW, I had my tire pressure at 40-42 psi front and rear, pretty much in the middle of the psi range on the sidewall of the tires. Seemed fine for both dirt and pavement.

All in all it was a great ride - awesome weather and not many people around. I'm sure I will be sore for a few days given how little exercise I've been getting lately. Oh well, that's the price of fun!

If you have any questions just let me know.

Thanks!

empty beer member
    A custom build is a great way to go. I have spent as much as I payed for the bike in upgrades alone. Wheels I9s, EC90 seatpost ritchey wcs bars, fizik saddle, and a rear maxxis ikon. I am lucky that I can reuse my take offs on my other bikes though. Doing it your way the first time will probably be cheaper in the long run, since everything will already be the way you want it. I beat the living crap out of my scale and it has no problems handling anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2011 Scott Scale Elite

Hey guys,

Just looking through some threads about the Scotts and came across yours and thought I would add some input into the discussion since I have the 2011 Scott Scale Elite.

Before I bought the bike I did extensive research into 29ers in the $1500-2000 range. I looked at the Trek Paragon (don't like SRAM equipment, I'm a Shimano guy), Giant XtC (SRAM equipment again), Marin Nail Trail 29er (a little bit more money than the Scott) and the Scott Scale Elite. For the money and the equipment the Scott won hands down. I looked at the Scale Pro but it wasn't worth the extra $1000. I even thought about a custom build but would have spent more than buying the Elite and upgrading the equipment. The Elite had XT rear derailleur, SLX front derailleur, SLX shifters, Rock Shox Recon Gold fork, Rocket Ron tires, lightweight frame and once I rode it, it was a done deal. I love it! The only thing about the bike I do not like are the brakes. The Elixir 3's suck!

I purchased the Elite as my first XC race bike and haven't regretted it a bit. Now I have upgraded most of the components to cut down on weight or, in the case of the brakes, better function. I now have all XT drivetrain (except for the SLX front derailleur, but I hardly use it), XTR brakes, FSA carbon flat bar, Thomson offset seatpost, Thomson stem, Ergon grips, Specialized Henge saddle (bent the other saddle in a crash). The bike now weighs 24ish and rides like a cheetah. Even with all the upgrades and original cost of the bike I spent a little more than the cost of the Scale Pro but have much better equipment and it only weighs about a pound over the Pro.

I would definitely recommend spending the extra cash for the Elite. You'll be happier you did.

Chris

empty beer member
    IVman, What didn't you like about the brakes? Which XTR brakes and how do they compare, feel and power, to the elixir 3?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey Wreck,

The Elixir 3's had the signature turkey warble/vibration common to many Avid brakes from day one. It drove me nuts! I switched out the stock pads for organics and it still made the noise. I sanded the pads and cleaned the rotors and it is quieter, still squeaking a bit, but still vibrates. Modulation sucks.

To be quite honest I don't have the XTR's (M988/Trail) on the bike yet. I just ordered them Sat. However, I have ridden my friend's bike that has XT's and they were a hundred times better than the Elixir 3's in every way, so the XTR's should just blow me away. I can post my findings once I get them on my bike and give them a good workout.

Chris

empty beer member
    IVman,

I never had any noise problems with these brakes. The worst for me was a mushy lever feel in front after 2 months. I took it to the shop and asked them to bleed it. Picked the bike up and it felt the same. I also picked up some new pads since mine were worn and that fixed it. Feel kinda bad for making him bleed it when I probably just needed new pads. They have all the power I need and I guess modulation is a personal thing. I like it on mine but my girl has the '11 with the G3 rotors and the modulation isn't as good as my '12 with the HS1 rotors. FWIW, she hasn't had any problems with her brakes either. Let me know how those XTRs work though.

By the way, if you haven't upgraded your wheels, do it! A lighter set of tubeless wheels will really wake your bike up and make it roll so much better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Congrats on the elite!
    Just curious did you happen to take a ride on a Scale 29 Team? or anyone have any input?
    Was looking at the elite vs. Specialized Carve Expert but I think the Scott Team vs. Specialized Carve Comp is a little bit more reasonably priced for me unless my lbs can cut me a deal. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Scale 29 Elite & comp are both nice bike but i ask myseld why do they keep using suntour forks everybody complains about them i think

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Haptic View Post
    Congrats on the elite!
    Just curious did you happen to take a ride on a Scale 29 Team? or anyone have any input?
    Was looking at the elite vs. Specialized Carve Expert but I think the Scott Team vs. Specialized Carve Comp is a little bit more reasonably priced for me unless my lbs can cut me a deal. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I looked at the Carve Comp as well, but for the price I got on the Scale 29 Elite ($1,400 before tax), the Elite has much better componentry, especially the fork (Elite has the Reba).

I think the Scale 29 Elite is one of the better deals in that price range. But no tapered head tube if that is important - I'm not sure how important it really is.

Regards.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by john symos View Post
    Scale 29 Elite & comp are both nice bike but i ask myseld why do they keep using suntour forks everybody complains about them i think
    The Conp is the only bike in the Scott line up of Scale 29ers that uses the SunTour fork, and it was labeled as an entry level 29er by my LBS. One step up to the Team you get a Rock Shox XC 32 and up to the Elite it turns into a Reba 29 RL as well as better components.

I didnt opt for the Scott, I ended up going Salsa El Mariarchi (custom build)...but never the less the Scott bikes are still very nice and offer up much better components then the competitors dollar for dollar. An $1100 Rockhopper Comp 29 gives you a SunTour fork, and cheaper components, and to get something equivalent to what Scott Elite would cost you you'd have to spend upwards of $2000 like a Spec Carve Pro, and you still get a cheaper fork, Im certinally no expert here, but I did a ton of price shopping before I built/bought my bike. And the scotts do offer up a nice bike or the money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    YES THE ELITE DOES THE JOB WELL BUT I WONDER IS THE FOX MUCH BETTER THANTHE REBA &
    I HAVE NOT YET DECIDED WHAT I WANT
    SCOTT SCALE ELITE 29ER 2012
    TREK SUPERFLY AL 2012
    GIANT XTC 1 29ER 2011
    REAL HARD TO DECIDE OR MAYBE WAIT A 8 MONTHS TILL THE 2013 MODELS ARE OUT & THAN BUY :d CAN SOMEDONY HELP ME DECIDE

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ok ok i see i did that two i don't know what i want i searching for a good bike a scott scale elite 29er a giant xtc 1 29er 2011 or trek superfly al
    help please or do you say get the scott !?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast