mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Talk me out of Syncros XR1.0 Carbon 29s

So, I had my heart set on Easton EC90 XC wheels. I'm on-board with 29ers, tubeless, OEM package deals, generally speaking. But I'm admittedly not riding as much or as often as I'd like to.

And reading recently about hub issues, along with recent financial issues at Easton Cycling, can someone make a compelling argument not to chuck the Eastons aside in favor of the Syncros XR1.0?

From all indications, the Syncros seem to be Reynolds rims, DT Swiss hubs, spokes, and nipples, for a fraction of the cost of Easton, Enve, Reynolds, or any of the usual suspects when talking about name-brand carbon MTB wheelsets.

If I were to run tubeless, the sealed spoke bed of the Eastons is a huge plus, but given my current riding proclivities, tubes are a reasonable concession. I haven't had great consistency or useful results with tubeless and rim tape.

Am I missing something here? Or have I lost my mind temporarily?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have ridden them for a year, and must say that i am very pleased by how they perform. I have ridden them for 3800 miles / 6000 km, they are just as true as when i got them and incredibly rigid. They are also very almost too easy to service with the dtswiss hub. Recently I have upgradede the bearing for CeramicSpeed and the StarRachet to a 36t. This was the best purchase since the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    dje31, thanks for this posting. I have the same question. I rode these at Outerbike on a Scott Spark and Genius. They seemed to ride really well, but those bikes are built with the best components, everything rides well.

JacobBH-Thanks for the reply. What size wheel do you ride?

I'm replacing a 29 Stan's (which has been great, but after a few thousand miles, starting to loose a little zip). I ride tubeless and ride a lot, NUE series and stage races. But at the same time, I'm not the best, or close to the best, rider in the pack. Need something that can take a beating and was hoping the Syncros would be the answer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    FWIW, I've had a set of Reynolds DV46C UL on my wheels road bike for a few years now. I have to ride ~0.5 mile from my house to pavement on a rough limerock road, then back at the end of the ride.

I've only trued them once, and that was more to ensure that the nipples hadn't seized, not because they weren't straight. They also have DT hubs, spokes and nipples. They've been completely solid and reliable...as well as light and expensive.

I would expect the XR1.0 to be similar if not equal in terms of strength, quality and reliability, assuming they're laced and tensioned properly, and tweaked periodically.

Still wish they had a solid ( closed / UST-style ) spoke bed, though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I ride a Scale 900 sl, so 29". I also ride tubeless and must say i am more than satisfied. I ride schwalbes rocket Ron 2,25 tires, which fits the conditions where i ride pretty well. I ride in Denmark, where rooty trails are common. So my wheels has taken a beating of the bigger.. I ride xc but i ride pretty hard and make my eqiupement work hard too.. So i am stoked that I have wheels that are durabel enough for my use..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just took them down to St. George for True Grit. The wheels did great! Was concerned about them holding air pressure. Made them tubeless and they had a difficult time holding pressure, took four times. However, they finally seated well and did not have any issues. Think I will enjoy these for some time.