mtbr member
    Jun 2012

New question here. Suspension design and peddling characteristics of Scott Bikes

I have tried to research this topic but can't seem to find what I am looking for so trying to reach out to the masses.

I am investigating Scott bikes for my next purchase and can't get one to ride yet, but I am interested in knowing a little more about their design and pedaling characteristics.

how well does it pedal sans the "twin loc" system? it it a pretty standard 4 bar system or something different? is there a bike you would compare it to for reference?

I am looking at the Spark and Genius series. I ride in AZ mostly XC and some technical more trail stuff around the phx area sometimes venturing to tucson or florence area.

I like comfort and efficiency foremost but do like to go fast.

got any insight?

Thank you.
    Last edited by MountainMike11; 03-12-2014 at 12:44 PM.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Ok…first of all, it is pedaling, not peddling. Now then, I have tested the Spark 910 and the Genius 910 and both of the them pedal well in Open and Twin Loc, but of course, open is plusher. I never have felt any unwanted shock actuation from drivetrain forces working against you (too much anti squat, etc) but you will get some 'rise and fall' from body motion in open settings. Basically, they, like nearly any modern bike these days, pedal very, very well.

The slacker angles of the Scotts go well with techy areas so even the Spark makes for a good light trail bike. But the Genius, depending on what model (weight, etc), has a real long travel XC/trail vibe to it. I really liked the Spark. I am loving the Genius and from my time in the AZ area, I would go Genius unless I was endurance racing the thing.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a Genius 720 and love it. The new models have Fox rear shocks which are supposed to be super supple. My 2013 with the DT Swiss rides fine IMHO but I come from a XC back ground so I'm not exactly sure how big of a difference there is. I will say I always have loved Fox product, so I'm a little envious (maybe. Just a little.) The big stand out to me is how well the bike climbs. It is a billy goat. And the way it handles on downhills has changed my style of riding. I'm hopping off drops, flying through rough rough technical rock gardens and of course bombing the butter single track we have over here.And best of all ...I'm really really confident that I WON't break this sucker. RIP Jamis Dakar 650B, Trek Top Fuels #1 & #2, and my beloved Fisher HI-FI carbon. The Genius ruins them all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the replies. Puts my mind at ease and sounds like the genius is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mike,

There will be a demo out at McDowell March 15-16th at the Trailhead Staging Area (Pemberton trail head) if you would like a chance to try out the bike.

The beauty of the Scott suspension system is the Twinlock. This system offers an amazing combination of efficiency and comfort. Its like having 2 bikes in one. Trail bike in the fully open super plush mode and XC race bike efficiency in the traction mode.

Need more cowbell
    Mike, I have a Genius 900 SL that is the best all around bike I've owned. I have actually raced this bike at everything from Old Pueblo to the MBAA series and never felt that I had too much bike or that the additional travel has slowed me down. The same bike has also spent time on trails at South Mountain and Sedona without missing a beat. The twin-loc system really does work at changing the character of the bike with the flick of a switch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    hey Mike, the other advantage is the lock out and turns my 730 Genius into a hardtail for road or fire road riding.