Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sparks...lets see em

162K views 466 replies 189 participants last post by  Dn_KiKe 
#1 ·
I know there are several guys on MTBR that have Sparks, so lets start a little gallery for our new forum. I'll start...
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Yellow Spoke Bicycle accessory

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

More work planned when time/money is available. on the list are new front and rear derailleurs, 4 ti pedals, maybe a 08 sid if they offer and real advantages over the Reba. Plus I'm dying to try an rp23 on here. Anyone else do the conversion? Don't know what its gonna take to pull it off, probably some custom made spacers. Overall I'm very happy with the bike, it feels really solid.

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a sick bike, yeah my LBS owner has a spark and he raves about it. Just wait to see about the new reba's that are coming out soon. supposed to debut at sea otter from what ive heard. Awesome bike. will say my favorite thing about it is the rear shock choice, wish more companies would give that option

#8 ·
Very nice Limited you've got Sabresix...how have you found it in race situations? I'm also curious about your race wheels, what they weight, how they ride, and how they've held up. I looked at getting a pair instead of I9's, but really wanted to try some new and flashy. The weight on those 7000 series wheels is out of this world though.

WannabeRacer..I don't know what my bike weighs now as I don't have a hanging scale...just a scale for small parts (under 5 pounds). I'd guess 21-22 with maxlite tires right now. could be a little more/less? Basically feels light enough that I'm not feeling rushed to do much more right away. My build is middle of the road and could be lighter almost everywhere. I don't race, so its more for fun and to have a project to work on.

#9 ·
Cranked,

The Spark is awesome in race situations. I only race it in 12 - 24 hr solo endurance events; since it's the only thing I compete in besides a bit of XC short track in summer.

The Race 7000 have held their true after a 24hr race and a 12hr race; so they are pretty reliable. They don't feel anymore laterally stiffer then the ZTR Olympics or the Crossmax SLRs I used to own. That said, I weigh 149lbs, 5' 10" but I do ride pretty hard.

#10 ·
Finally! Still only a few days old but I gave it some good workouts over the weekend. I wasn't sure I would like it more than my Epic...it's even better than I had hoped.

The steerer tube was cut down yesterday and I'm still waiting for the Look Quartz Carbons to come in. The tires are some older Fast Traks that work great around here for training. I'll be using Racing Ralphs and Nobby Nics for racing. Replaced the QR seat collar with a bolt-on yesterday, too.

#12 ·
Wow, great bikes guys...System glad to hear you're diggin the new ride, I was surprised how good it was initially too, as I didn't get a test ride...just ordered it on faith alone.

Esben, really like the custom style you've got going on...looks like 960 XTR crankd with special paint? Is that the elusive and rarely seen New Ultimate laid back seatpost? I've been waiting on pins and needles for that thing to come out! So are they almost ready? I'de love some more detailed shots of your ride if you can throw some up, thats one mean looking Spark.

#16 ·
System-more comments please

System-you mentioned that you weren't sure if you would like the Spark as much as your Epic. The Spark and Epic along with the Scalpel are what I have my choices narrowed to for XC and endurance racing. Can you comment on the differences and similarities between your Spark and Epic? Thanks.

#17 ·
I have never ridden a Scalpel and comparing an alloy, mid-range Epic to a top-end Spark probably isn't a fair comparison. Functionally, both suspension platforms seem to work really well. Since I'm a control freak, I like being able to control the rear suspension on the Spark with the thumb lever, which has worked flawlessly so far. They seem equally stiff in the BB and I haven't noticed the 'fragileness' or 'fraility' of the carbon.

For obvious reasons, the Spark is more compliant (plush w/o feeling sluggish or sloppy) in the rough sections. I feel like it also handles better in tight singletrack and rails corners better. Of course, my Spark weighs 3lbs less than my Epic, so it climbs and accelerates faster, too :) .

I hope you find some good information here. Again, it's kinda like comparing green apples and red apples...sorta the same but not exactly.

#19 ·
Hey Bighead- I thought that was a really good question, and one I didn't know the answer to, so I grabbed some old gear and shot a pic for you to decided. The bottle cage isn't actually installed, just resting where it would go. I would think it would sit a bit lower down in real life (installed) but it is a very tight fit even with a small bottle. I think you are best to make the call if this is a make or break deal on the frame. Hope this pic helps a little. Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame

#20 ·
Many thanks for that photo, it really helps me out. To be honest, I would probably want the Spark if I cannot fit a bottle cage on anyway. I think when making the decision I will presume that I cannot fit a bottle cage on the frame and if I can when I get it then that will be a bonus. Can you confirm that yours does have bottle cage mounts? I think a side entry bottle cage would be a necessity.

#22 ·
Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Bicycle Carbon

Bighead, these cable guides double as cage mounts as well, so yes its doable, and if you can find a side mount cage, then it sounds like it might be a livable situation. sorry for the delay, haven't been able to post in the past couple days. Keep us informed here as to what your descion is. Best of luck.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Faz, I currently have nine bikes...don't know how many you can make out from the picture, but you get the point. I'de like more, but running out of space and the wife is running out of patience!

#24 ·
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

the one in front is my 2007 spark 10 with brand new wheels, seat, chainrings, cassette, chain, bottom bracket, tires. upgraded to a reba world cup. it's for sale if anybody's interested...$3200

the one in the back is my 2008 spark 15, upgraded to full xtr-dual control with a new 2009 sid team. :thumbsup:

#26 ·
i've only ridden the new bike for a week. it was a really good week though. i should start by saying that the reba wc has probably been my favorite fork. i haven't had one problem with it. having said that, the sid's better. it's feels smoother and stiffer. actually, the stiffness really suprised me. i did have a issue with air leaking out over night. i stopped by the sram tent at the sea otter. they went through it and couldn't find anything glaring. replaced a couple parts and put it all back together for me. they're tech guys are definitely helpful. the bike's still in transit back from CA, so i can't tell you if they fixed it. assuming that they did, i'll definitely have a new favorite fork. the new pushloc is super nice too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.