Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    mtbr member

Action Shot

I really can't believe how well the Spark handles, given how efficient it is on climbs and flats. Scott really has their geometry dialed.

Sparks...lets see em-sbend-compressed.jpg

Sparks...lets see em-img_0621-crop.jpg
    Last edited by brentos; 05-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Sparks...lets see em-1-2013-05-17-09.50.10.jpg

Taken on my singletrack commute.

2012 Scott Spark Elite 29er. Upgraded to Stans Crest ZTR NoTubes Rims and ODI Ruffian grips.
    Last edited by noreasterbackcountry; 08-21-2013 at 01:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Just picked this up yesterday. 2011 Spark 60

Loving it so far and can't wait to ride it on some technical trails. Feels very nimble and light compared to my hardtail.
    Just one question..
    The fork is at 120mm of travel. My friend has a scale with a Suntour Raidon. He had it adjusted to 120mm of travel. The stanchions looked a lot bigger than mine. I took out the micrometer and measured my stanchions, his stanchions, and my Other bikes 100mm fork stanchions.
    My bike- 121.3mm
    Raidon adjusted to 120mm-135.4mm
    Other bike with 100m fork-115.4mm
    Assuming that there is 15mm of space left that the work won't use because it doesn't travel all the way to the crown, my fork is only getting 106mm of travel. Any explanation for this? My fork is a Rockshox Recon RL 120mm.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Let some air out and see if it does give you full travel. Unused stanchion just means a heavier, flexier fork than if it only had as much stanchion as was necessary. The Rockshox may just be better designed.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Well the recon on the Scott is a coil fork and my other bikes fork is also coil. The raidon is an air fork. Both coil forks I have are rockshoxs, which in idea should be built similarly but one is missing 15mm of travel.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Well the recon on the Scott is a coil fork and my other bikes fork is also coil. The raidon is an air fork. Both coil forks I have are rockshoxs, which in idea should be built similarly but one is missing 15mm of travel.
    Well you said it measures out at 121.3mm, so it doesn't appear to be missing any travel. You're assuming that it's poorly designed and has an extra 15mm of stanchion for no reason. Reduce the preload and see if it's gets full travel or not. Perhaps the Recon is just a better fork, so it doesn't have unused stanchion showing. You might be able to remove the coil and cycle it through it's travel to check also.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Thanks. I understand what you're saying now. The last time I read it I wasn't sure of which fork you were referring to but I saw another thread where it said stanchion tube length doesn't dictate travel.
    Last edited by SQUIRRELSHOOTR; 06-27-2013 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    My 2012 Spark 20 - A little dirty after her maiden ride..

Attachment 819708

mtbr member
    Looking at upgrading forks on my 2011 Spark 60. A lot of forks I see in my price range and criteria end up having tapered steerer tubes. I've been researching headsets but don't fully understand them. I was googling for a conversion because I figured someone has to make a headset that lets someone run a tapered in a standard 1 1/8 headset. I came across this cane creek headset.
    Problem-Solving Headset From Cane Creek: The XX 44mm Traditional | News | mountain-bike-action
    It appears that it solves that issue of wanting to run a a 1.5 tapered in a standard 1 1/8 in headset. I used Cane Creeks headset finder.

Based on the information you have provided, your headset falls into the following standard:
    SHIS:ZS44/28.6|ZS44/30 (1-1/8" Zero Stack ZS Standard)

Would the one listed in the article fit in the same head tube as this
    SHIS:ZS44/28.6|ZS44/30 (1-1/8" Zero Stack ZS Standard)?

Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Headset Fit Finder

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well... After 5 painful years of trying to get a Spark 10, I did it!
    I finished the build this week. Exactly 21.5lbs as pictured and listed. A Fox RP23 is next on the list.

2007 Scott Spark 10 - Large
    Stans Crest on DT 240s Centerlocks
    2009 SID WC Fork
    XTR 985 26-38 175mm Cranks
    XTR 970 11-32 Cassette
    Dura Ace 7800 34.9 Clamp front der
    Ritchey WCS Headset, Stem, Bars, Post
    Flite TT Saddle
    SRAM XO Shifters and Short Cage rear der
    Hope Tech X2 Brakes
    Carbon bottle cage
    Continental SpeedKing 2.3's w/ 90ml of Caffe Latex each
    Control Tech Ti Skewers (non levered)
    Eggbeater 4Ti Pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sparks...lets see em-spark10-3-.jpg  

Redcoat
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelharsh View Post

More pics and info at: Just finished my Spark!
    I like the colour scheme

Redcoat
    Ive wanted a spark for soooooo long and i finally got my spark 60 2009 second hand shipped from a North Carolina LBS. $650 delivered it cost me, some how i got them down from $900 but that was overpriced anyway as the blue book was $750.
    it was stock and looked as so...

But after going to town on my bank account and some upgrades, my Easton 90s being the pride and joy looks as so:

So i threw on...
    Blackspire Sub4 Pedals, Red
    Easton EA90 XC UST front and back
    Continental X-King Protection 2.4 tires
    Troy Lee designs lock on obi grips
    Easton EC70 XC Carbon Handlebar (more for shock absorb than to lose weight)
    Velo Forme seat
    Lezyne Smart Chainstay Protector
    I also changed out a lot of the screws/bolts that were a little rusty for new ones, cleaned it top to bottom replaced pads and chain and re-lubed where lube is needed. Now its time to get it all dirty...

In the post at the moment i have a race face bash guard and easton 90 stem coming also which will be the last edition for a while. next ill be doing the forks i think.

I frickin love this bike.

mtbr member
    Those wheels definitely look awesome on that bike. I love my 60. Trying to figure out what to do with the suspension right now.

Redcoat
    Those wheels definitely look awesome on that bike. I love my 60. Trying to figure out what to do with the suspension right now.
    Me too. I like the rock shox monarch with the bar control lockout. I just put one on my canondale lefty and it's pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    It's funny you mentioned it being worth $750. That's exactly how much I paid for my like new 2011. It even came with some extras. That's pretty crazy. I wasn't even that interested in looking at it but a friend kept telling me to take a look. I would have been an idiot to not buy it. So far about 130 miles on it. Can't wait for the weather to get a little colder out then I can really start putting the miles on it.

Redcoat
    It's funny you mentioned it being worth $750. That's exactly how much I paid for my like new 2011. It even came with some extras. That's pretty crazy. I wasn't even that interested in looking at it but a friend kept telling me to take a look. I would have been an idiot to not buy it. So far about 130 miles on it. Can't wait for the weather to get a little colder out then I can really start putting the miles on it.
    Nice 750 is an awesome price. I cant remember the year it was but i let a $580 spark slip through my fingers cause i acted on it too late. ever since then ive been scanning and this one came up. Im pleased with the 650 i spent on it. The money i have invested has made it even more of a better ride.

Scott Spark for the win

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    '12 scott spark elite 29er here.. Purchased new 3 mos ago.. Replaced shifters, cassette and chain to xt ( crankset and rear derailluers came stock xt ).. grips to specialized sip locking, clear type.. Kept the slx on the front derailleurs.. And replaced rims today to mavic crossmax st 29.. Sparks...lets see em-dsc02173_zps2f0d789c.jpg
    Last edited by av8or; 09-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.

mtbr member
    I finally put together a review of my Spark. I've got about 500 miles on her at this point and am still very happy with my purchase.

Nor'Easter Backcountry: 2012 Scott Spark 29 Elite Review

Redcoat
    Finished her off with the pieces i had in the mail. bash guard and new easton 90 stem. she's a lot more muddy now to say the least.

mtbr member
    Nevermind. Delete
    Last edited by SQUIRRELSHOOTR; 02-13-2014 at 05:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Bought a new fork. Almost went with a Fox 120rl, but after seeing the Suntour Epicon X2 I decided to buy it for $150 less than the fox. Weighs 3.68 pounds and it is adjustable (internally) from 80-140mm. It was really easy to do and I set it at 140 just for kicks. It is super smooth and plush. I had no idea the Epicon would soak up bumps as great as it does. 140 seems a little raked out, but I don't know if I am going to bump it down or not. I gotta get some miles on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Re: Sparks...lets see em

I am considering the 14 spark 710 or 720. I race xc and like a fun bike as well, I enjoy manuals bunny hops and jumps. Do you think the spark is the do it all bike for me?

Right now I have a ht 29er for racing and looking to either go aluminum 650 140mm ala Norco sight or sell the ht and go full bore on a 5k one bike quiver in the spark...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steineken View Post
    I am considering the 14 spark 710 or 720. I race xc and like a fun bike as well, I enjoy manuals bunny hops and jumps. Do you think the spark is the do it all bike for me?

Right now I have a ht 29er for racing and looking to either go aluminum 650 140mm ala Norco sight or sell the ht and go full bore on a 5k one bike quiver in the spark...

I think it depends on your definition of 'racing' and 'fun'.

If racing means you are a weekend warrior who occasionally goes into an XC race for giggles, and if fun means, you just like to ride the local trails and if something presents its self, like a rock drop, you make sure you hit it, then I think the Spark would be a great one quiver bike.

If racing means you are at the top of your category, looking to move up, or fun means you are out session dedicated DH/Freeride runs, or doing light lift access, I would think a two bike quiver makes more sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Re: Sparks...lets see em

I am a little more serious about racing than the avg weekend warrior but I don't think this bike would slow me down.

Fun for me is nothing extreme, no dh trails. But when I'm on trails I like to spend allot of time on my back wheel, flicking the rear end and hitting the odd drop or jump.

On paper the rockymounty thunder geo looks perfect but the weight is a deal breaker. The spark has slightly longer cs than I would like (sub330) but if others find it short enough to ride as described I think it's a winner..... Unfortunately can't demo

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here you have a little assembly video of my new Spark 900 SL 2014 hope you like it Im pretty happy with the result of the bike but videoediting isnt my strong side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78_NFFzGsDM

Sparks...lets see em-komp.jpg

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast