Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Moz-Scott View Post
    ripped the hanger and totally destroyed my rear mech yesterday, so after getting sick of the 3x front end i've bitten the bullet and she is in getting some xx1 love now...

...back a page or so i mentioned i was on wheel upgrade path, ended up getting hope hubs, some random Ti spokes... and stans rims built up ~1350g for the pair without tape. was an excellent upgrade... sadly i'll have to go back to the stock wheels once the xx1 is on there until hope have their freehub body for xx1 ready to order.

can't wait to see how the xx1 goes...

well, i'm back... and i have the bike back... but i have no xx1 on my bike yet... as i'm still struggling to get a hold of this bloody freehub thing...

anyway, made some changes to my spark, the biggest and best being my new wheels... stans crests, hope evo's and MARWI Ti spokes... ~1350g for the pair with tape and valves installed... not bad for 32h rims/hubs i thought? - genuinely beautifully prepared wheels...

also got a new shadow+ mech to replace the one i ripped off...

...also dtiched the bar ends, installed some ESI grips... gave her a good clean+service.

I'm in a few different places with her at the moment... took her for a series of sprints around some very short loops near my home yesterday and got a little bit frustrated with the handlebars and seatpost doing the carbon thing and making too much noise...

mtbr member

Sparks...lets see em

Sparks...lets see em-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361757395.763142.jpg

Fantastic ride. Just bought this spark 910. Pulled some parts of my niner, notably my i9 wheelset, and I really am happy. Thanks to Bear Creek Bikes in Dalton, GA for the inspiration an help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So jealous really want one!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Order the frehub Xx1
    direct from american classic web site

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Upgrades to my 930

In the past two months since I bought my Spark 930, I have upgraded:

XX crankset 42/28
    XO front derailleur (42T)
    XT M785 brakes
    Easton EC70 bar
    Syntace F149 60mm stem
    (swapped over my trusty & light Candy C pedals)

Sparks...lets see em-img_4923.jpgSparks...lets see em-img_4925.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I recently bought a spark 930 and it is stock except for the pedals changed out to egg beaters and had the wheels converted to tubeless with Stanz sealant. I had the shop weigh it before I left and my size medium weighed in at just over 28lbs., Scott claims 26.4lbs. for this bike. I confirmed the weight with my bathroom scales at home. Has anyone else noticed their bikes being heavier than Scott's claims? I just called and ordered a set of Stanz Arch EX wheels, hope to drop at least a pound with this change.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I don't think the weight includes the pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bg77 View Post
    I recently bought a spark 930 and it is stock except for the pedals changed out to egg beaters and had the wheels converted to tubeless with Stanz sealant. I had the shop weigh it before I left and my size medium weighed in at just over 28lbs., Scott claims 26.4lbs. for this bike. I confirmed the weight with my bathroom scales at home. Has anyone else noticed their bikes being heavier than Scott's claims? I just called and ordered a set of Stanz Arch EX wheels, hope to drop at least a pound with this change.
    Arch EX wheels are 350g lighter than the 930's stock wheels. So not quite a pound. But significant

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi,

I am also thinking about replacing my shock. I have DT Swiss M210 on my Spark 40 (MY 2010).
    I wander what tune you pick for your Monarch? Low or middle?
    Do you still use your twinlock lever after shock upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by los05 View Post
    Here is my 2011 with a few upgrades:

-Rockshox RT3 Shock
    -Mavic SL Wheels
    -XT Brakes

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vmakuc View Post
    Hi,

I am also thinking about replacing my shock. I have DT Swiss M210 on my Spark 40 (MY 2010).

Quote Originally Posted by vmakuc View Post
    Hi,

Well I decided to go with a High Tune RT3, but I have to say the bike was a little stiff at first with that set up but I have read that a Mid Tune setup works well.

So again it was a little stiff at first, but after some adjustments and growing pains I was able to get shock set up correctly and love it now. You might want to do some reading about adjusting IFP pressure on that shock, once I adjusted mine the shock came alive. Here is a link you can check out: Monarch & IFP pressure change...

FYI.. You're going to need some new mounting hardware in order to get the shock to fit properly. I forget the exact details of the parts but you can find it on some of these threads.

In regards to the twinlock, I didn't care for it which was one of the reasons I went with the RT3. I never used it here in our type of trails (mostly XC) and it was just adding extra weight to the bike, so no I did not keep it.

In regards to performance, the bike was transformed and feels amazing with the RT3. It's more responsive on the flat stuff and on climbs but still has enough plushness for the rough stuff. After the swap I even put back on the M210 just to see the difference again, "night and day".

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My last frame was a 1st gen Spark posted back on page 5. I wanted to switch to a 29er and was strongly considering a Tallboy Carbon or a Niner Jet 9 Carbon but I ended up finding a great deal locally on a new 2012 Spark frame and couldnít pass up getting a new frame at $1200 off retail. So Iíve got a new Spark to thrash over thousands of miles for the next 5+ years. Iíve been building it up over the past couple months starting with building the wheels over Christmas. I had finished everything but deciding on a front tire, but the 70į weather on the front range yesterday inspired me to make a decision so I can ride this weekend. Canít wait to get it out on the trail.

Build Specs:
    Frame: 2012 Spark RC Large
    Shock: DT Nude2
    Fork: Fox 32 Series 100 FIT CTD w/ Trail Adjust
    Stem: Ritchey C260
    Bars/Seatpost: Ritchey Superlogic
    Grips: Ritchey WCS Foam
    Seat: Ritchey WCS Marathon
    Drivetrain: Sram XX
    Cables: Alligator iLink
    Brakes: Hope Stealth Evo X2
    Rotors: Ashima Ai2 (180-F/160-R)
    Pedals: Eggbeater 4Ti
    Hubs: DT 240
    Spokes: DT Aerolite
    Nipples: DT Brass on the rear drive side, DT Alloy everywhere else
    Rims: Lightbikes Wide Carbon 32 hole w/ Bontroger Rhythm rim strips
    Tires: Specialized S-Works Fastrack 2.2-R/Captain 2.2-F

Came in at 22.00 lbs although I still need to add sealant, a wb cage and my Garmin. I considered swapping out the rear shock with a Fox Float CTD Boost Valve Remote but I may as well give the DT shock a chance first. The reason the seat looks sloped in the picture is because it is. I've still got to set that up as well as the suspension and decide on a stem height.

photo 2013_Spark_zps0b418f0f.jpg
     photo Spark_1_zps2eb06bac.jpg
     photo Spark_2_zps3a961ac6.jpg
     photo Spark_3_zps3f8f084c.jpg
     photo Spark_4_zpsdf5a715b.jpg
     photo Spark_Wt_zpsb9804129.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Looks good at 21#
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sparks...lets see em-541320_554369984593361_1923042381_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    How do you like those Furios Freds compared to Rocket Rons?

is that a XX1 drivetrain?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Posted my Spark RC here back in 2011. I've upgraded to Power Cordz Prime derailleur system & a Kettle Cycles front 160mm SICCC rotor. Rotor weight was 53 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sparks...lets see em-img_5100_1.jpg  

Sparks...lets see em-img_5102_1.jpg  

Sparks...lets see em-img_5098_1.jpg  

Sparks...lets see em-img_5103_1.jpg  

Sparks...lets see em-img_4994_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlucky82 View Post
    Looks good at 21#
    saw one of those just built up at the shop the other day. sick...
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    2013 Scott Spark 920...

Very happy with the bike and especially the Twinloc system.

mtbr member
    updated pic

nothing major
    - Some Arch EXs
    - Specialized ergos
    - Fizik saddle

Also, am i the only one that likes the shock mount in the "lower bottom bracket" position?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I keep mine in low most of the time. It's easier on my back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hello guys,

i have a problem here and i need help to solve it.
    My frame is a Scott Spark 900 RC 2013. And i am using a Shimano XTR Double M980 Crankset 38-26T.
    I am looking for a XTR Front Der. to use with my system (that is all xtr)BUt...
    -The XTR M980 Front Deraileur is only for Triple Cranksets;
    -The XTR M985-E is for use with 40-44T cranks;
    -The XTR M-985-E2 is compatible with my 38T crankset. But it is not compatible with the Spark frame.

Any suggestions ?
    Is it impossible to use a 38-26T system and a complete XTR kit with a Spark frame ?

Thanks,

Eimart

mtbr member
    Kojarena, love the color scheme of the 920....reminds me of my 2012 Spark 70. I would love the 920, but am bent on getting a 27.5 version soon. I might try the new Scale........or Genius.......or a Spark again!!!!!! So many awesome, good looking, super functional bikes to choose from!!!!! Ride on!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    Kojarena, love the color scheme of the 920....reminds me of my 2012 Spark 70. I would love the 920, but am bent on getting a 27.5 version soon. I might try the new Scale........or Genius.......or a Spark again!!!!!! So many awesome, good looking, super functional bikes to choose from!!!!! Ride on!!!!
    thanks - it's a great bike and quite a step up from the 2009 Scale 50 I just came off. At the moment I am tossing up the choice of a second set of wheels for road/hard trails or a second hard-tail/road bike for that. Any suggestions are welcomed. I love the carbon and the twin lock and can't really see the need for a second bike (sorry) when a second set of wheels will do the job fine.

mtbr member
    I got a set of road wheels for Christmas and have been using those more then riding the trails (unfortunately), but I want to ride more!!!! The second set makes sense, especially when you can lock-out to a rigid feel. The wheels make sense, the bike is more a want then a need. Go with extra wheels.......but I am still going to be thinking about that new 27.5 bike!!!!! Happy Trails.

mtbr member
    there is a LBS that stopped carrying scott and they have a 2012 Spark 29 Elite listed for $2299. seems like a pretty high component level for that price, I am not familiar with scott at all. just trek and specialized. seems like a better bike for $2300 than a base superfly 100 al or base camber? Ill have to go take it for a spin, kind of concerning they will no longer carry them though? They claimed lack of availability hurting sales.

thoughts?
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    This is an incredible bike, but ride it and decide for yourself. This is a great price, by the way.

mtb dxb uae
    Here's my spark 650.. recently upgraded to xx groupset and brakeset, slk carbon handlebar and seatpost. Now im looking for some good flat pedals to replace those huge shimano dx. Thinking of getting cliped ones but im afraid i'll be kissing dirt a lot before I get used to it. Any suggestions?

BTW are you guys using high or low frame setup? pros and cons? thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sparks...lets see em-scott_n.jpg  

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast