Thread: Spark RC 2017

bike rider

Spark RC 2017

The Spark thread is getting pretty diluted due to all the different models (plus, long travel, 650b) that don't have anything to do with the XC race bike. I'll recieve my RC SL frameset in May but until then I'd like to see how people are liking them, suspension notes, and builds.

My plan is Extralight/LB/CX-Ray wheels at 1200(ish)g
    XX1 drivetrain (maybe using my XX1 crank, maybe buying a Next SL)
    XTR Race brakes with Formula rotors
    9point8 5" seatpost

On my last Scott I ran a normal fork damper adjuster in place of the remote but this time I might try the fork remote first. I want to run 9point8's under-bar remote so I guess my best option is to use a 2012 Scott Twinlock above-bar remote for the suspension.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I responded to your RC quest in other thread. I'll do it here as well. On your quest did you talk to SCOTT USA or just retailers? I assume you're based here. So you've been told that It'll be MAY? Is that for a bike or a frame set? I was was thinking a SCOTT may be in my future, but, maybe not.

Jason

bike rider
    I talked to my contact at Scott USA. He said all 2017 Spark RC bikes and framesets in size XL are spoken for and didn't know when 2018s would be available. He suggested checking LBSs for inventory which seems like a long, random, goose chase. I asked my local Scott dealer if they could procure one from another dealer but never heard back. Someone on Weighweenies suggested checking R2-Bike.com (Germany) which I did. They have 2 XL SL framsets coming to them in May and one now has my name on it in exchange for an ungodly amount of Euros. They may have other sizes and also advertise the WC frameset for Ä1000 less. No complete bikes though.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That's crazy?! SCOTT really screwed the pooch I guess. I suppose I'll be waiting for an 18. Perhaps they'll move production up? Thanks for the info.

Jason

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrownmxr View Post
    That's crazy?! SCOTT really screwed the pooch I guess. I suppose I'll be waiting for an 18. Perhaps they'll move production up? Thanks for the info.

Jason
    Yeah, I know the feeling of wanting the right but bike only to find it's sold out. Scott produces a certain amount due to anticipated and predicted demand. They are on the rise here in the US but not nearly as much as Specialized, Trek, Giant etc etc. They are huge over seas but not here which is why they produce a limited amount so that they don't lose profit in the long run.

Unfortunately, this means for those who want the high end Scott bikes need to buy quickly which equates to no good deals or sales. Unless you're super lucky.
    My bike is all tricked out. It has pedals, a handle bar, a seat and two wheels! H8tRs gunna H8t!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I talked to my contact at Scott USA. He said all 2017 Spark RC bikes and framesets in size XL are spoken for and didn't know when 2018s would be available. He suggested checking LBSs for inventory which seems like a long, random, goose chase. I asked my local Scott dealer if they could procure one from another dealer but never heard back. Someone on Weighweenies suggested checking R2-Bike.com (Germany) which I did. They have 2 XL SL framsets coming to them in May and one now has my name on it in exchange for an ungodly amount of Euros. They may have other sizes and also advertise the WC frameset for Ä1000 less. No complete bikes though.
    Start calling large Scott dealers within day-trip range. Find a bike. Take a mini-vacation. Turn it into an adventure.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpin View Post
    Yeah, I know the feeling of wanting the right but bike only to find it's sold out. Scott produces a certain amount due to anticipated and predicted demand. They are on the rise here in the US but not nearly as much as Specialized, Trek, Giant etc etc. They are huge over seas but not here which is why they produce a limited amount so that they don't lose profit in the long run.

Unfortunately, this means for those who want the high end Scott bikes need to buy quickly which equates to no good deals or sales. Unless you're super lucky.
    Buying in the first month of the year should mean "buy quickly". It's a screw up when 2017 bikes aren't available for even a single day of 2017.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Plusforever View Post
    Start calling large Scott dealers within day-trip range. Find a bike. Take a mini-vacation. Turn it into an adventure.
    Hahaha, day trip range. I live in Hawaii during winter. There's one hour drives and 6 hours flights, nothing in between. I already paid for a frame that'll be delivered in May.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hahaha, day trip range. I live in Hawaii during winter. There's one hour drives and 6 hours flights, nothing in between. I already paid for a frame that'll be delivered in May.
    I give you credit for making it happen, I really do. So many people act so helpless in these situations.

bike rider
    Well, having $5500 burning a hole in your wallet lets you be a little less helpless. I'm less a hero and more a guy who just sold his collectible sports car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Just a word of caution to those ordering Spark RC`s, I`m just over 6ft and found the Large RC 900 sized up a little on the small side...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have an RC SL frameset on order from a Scott dealer since last week of December. Original estimate for delivery was April, but has since changed to May so I guess they will all be delivered around that time (if no more delays).

Most of the parts will move on from my current bike (XX1, Next SL, XTR Race brakes), just have the Boost wheels to spec/build while waiting. Settled on Duke Lucky Jack rims, but not sure yet whether to go for fancy hubs like Extralite or Carbon-Ti (can't find decent specs/reviews on these) or just stick to good old 240s.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Any word on delivery of the frame sets? My dealer still seems to think the end of the month.

bike rider
    I had an X-large SL framset on order for a May delivery but R2-Bike now says they can't get an XL. So if someone wants a small or medium SL frame they should have one more frame alotted to them. I think there's one small run of SLs all being delivered in May and that's it. I'm waiting to hear from Scott about the 2018s.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Wait?! Lelandjt...you lost your frame? How'd that happen? Did they not secure it?

bike rider
    They said they had 2 frames coming to them but just emailed that they can't get an XL. I was tempted to ask if the WC framset they show is available in XL but I think I'll just wait for a SL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm dissappointed with Scott and the production of the high end models. All the Spark RC's and Spark 900's in full carbon are sold out for the year since 2017 started. Even the frames are all sold out. I'm very let down and I don't feel like waiting for the 2018's. Maybe I should just spend my money somewhere else...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Spark RC 2017

I think a lot of people are disappointed who are looking for RC level bikes and frame sets. I suspect the fact the Nino and Jenny both won Gold may have played a part in these selling out quickly. I've been told Scott is ramping up for 2018 but have no proof of this other than conversations with Scott. Reality is they have to order these frames to be built well in advance and it's not a simple matter of them ordering more. I hope you guys get your bikes and or frame sets. I'm envious as I too would like a 2017 RC 900 in size large. 6k is a lot for a frame and too rich for my blood at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    To satisfy my curiosity I called SCOTT USA yesterday and they said the frames had been shipped on the 16th. So if any body gets one in the next few days let's hear about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hefeweizan View Post
    I'm dissappointed with Scott and the production of the high end models. All the Spark RC's and Spark 900's in full carbon are sold out for the year since 2017 started. Even the frames are all sold out. I'm very let down and I don't feel like waiting for the 2018's. Maybe I should just spend my money somewhere else...
    Why would you be disappointed in Scott for selling out of their high end model bikes?

It's kinda like someone being disappointed in you for not buying one soon enough.

Look, Scott is a business that tries to make money and not lose as much money as they possibly can. They are not the most popular bike company here in the US. Although they are becoming more and more popular with each passing year.

Just like all the other bike brands they produce a limited amount of high end bikes because they know that if they produce more than what the real market demands they will have to cut prices and lose profit. When it comes to elite level products there's only a handful of customers out there. The vast majority of sales comes from entry level to mid range bikes that are more attainable to the broader audience.

So it's not Scott's fault. Nor is any company at fault for being "sold out" of something they make. Just food for thought.
    My bike is all tricked out. It has pedals, a handle bar, a seat and two wheels! H8tRs gunna H8t!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I totally get what you are saying but when you have been sold out since November and the next model doesn't come out until August, they are losing money. People are just going to look elsewhere. Good for them on selling out bc they met their goal but someone need to do a better job forecasting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hefeweizan View Post
    I totally get what you are saying but when you have been sold out since November and the next model doesn't come out until August, they are losing money. People are just going to look elsewhere. Good for them on selling out bc they met their goal but someone need to do a better job forecasting.
    True, but they won't lose out for too long because once the 2018 models start rolling out later this year that's when the media starts to cover all of the new models and that's also usually when people are quick to buy the top end models.

I know exactly how you feel, don't get me wrong. I wanted the 700 tuned model but was told they had sold out the first quarter of the year. I felt devastated and asked if they would be producing more later. They told me that they wouldn't because they are now focusing on building next year's model.

With the increase in demand maybe 2018 they will start to carry more but trust me they go by market demand and statistics before they decide on how many to produce. Better to be sold out then to lose profit at least that's what a business person will tell you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Also I'd like to add, if I may my advice:

Hold out for the 2018 models. They will have upgraded components here and there. Since you know they sell out quickly ask your favorite LBS dealer to preorder one as soon as they become available. They can always call Scott to request one too.

I'm sure you have a bike now so why not wait a few months more to get the bike you really want? Unless your current Mtb bike is broken. Don't regret and good things DO come to those who wait.

bike rider
    The point a few of us were trying to make is Scott laid out big marketing dollars for the new Spark and the RC specifically. The marketing department must be bummed that after sponsoring the dominant male and female racers, taking out ads in the magazines, and flying media to Switzerland for a launch the people in charge of produ tion either didn't have confidence in their ability to sell many bikes or couldn't produce many bikes. And I mean very many bikes at all. After my worldwide search I'd guess they made less than 100 XL SLs since I couldn't find a shop or online dealer that could get one, spoken for or not (bike or frameset).

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I feel your pain, and it's frustrating to not be able to get what you want. Having owned a bike shop in a previous life, and been one of the first US Scott dealers when they re-entered the market in the States, here's a bit of "inside baseball:"

- the dealers have to commit orders, or at least are strongly advised to do so, irrespective of brand, in July / August of the previous year. First in, first served. That way, the MFRs get a ballpark guesstimate of how much they need to commit to for frames and build kits, and be able to deliver in a timely fashion;

- the number of enthusiasts like us that want top-shelf product are in the minority, so they naturally produce fewer of these. This is rarefied air. And sizes, like people, typically follow a bell curve distribution ( I'm an XL myself, road and MTB ) ;

- you don't want a bunch of leftover new old stock that you need to sell at a loss at the end of a model year. When the economy tanked a few years ago, it took a lot of shops out of business, which also affected the MFRs;

- pretty sure that the double Gold medals in the Rio Olympics happened after most dealers had made commitments. But having too much demand and not enough supply, to the MFRs, is a good problem to have.

Still, it sucks...I totally get that. Maybe a shop that had a commitment to a frame or bike will fall through and become available. It happens, and MFRs know who got what, and whether it's been sold or not. At least they should.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The point a few of us were trying to make is Scott laid out big marketing dollars for the new Spark and the RC specifically. The marketing department must be bummed that after sponsoring the dominant male and female racers, taking out ads in the magazines, and flying media to Switzerland for a launch the people in charge of produ tion either didn't have confidence in their ability to sell many bikes or couldn't produce many bikes. And I mean very many bikes at all. After my worldwide search I'd guess they made less than 100 XL SLs since I couldn't find a shop or online dealer that could get one, spoken for or not (bike or frameset).
    Looks like a shop in Vermont has 900rc's in stock (M & XL only I think). Ad on PB

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2140399/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

twin loc

Anybody ditch the twin loc cable set up and go with the Rock Shock hydraulic loc? I had one on my 2012 29 world cup xx fork and loved it. Cable set up is a pain in the xxx. Do not know if Rock Shock has a three position hydraulic loc out. Since Nino is Sram sponsored now is there one out there? Can the Fox's be retro fitted?

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Looks like a shop in Vermont has 900rc's in stock (M & XL only I think). Ad on PB

Good find! I had my heart set on the SL (weight and color) but I'll think about this.

bike rider

A big thank you again! I talked to the shop and now have an XL Pro on its way to me (I'll swap all the parts out). They said that Scott didn't make any XL SLs this year. That extra 100g is gonna bug me but it seems the SL is just a vaporware tease. No XLs, and only a handful of the smaller sizes were made. When Nino and Kabush don't even get one it seems more like a press release bike than an actual model.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    A big thank you again! I talked to the shop and now have an XL Pro on its way to me (I'll swap all the parts out). They said that Scott didn't make any XL SLs this year. That extra 100g is gonna bug me but it seems the SL is just a vaporware tease. No XLs, and only a handful of the smaller sizes were made. When Nino and Kabush don't even get one it seems more like a press release bike than an actual model.
    Hey glad to help. Congrats on the Pro ! Curious.. what parts you swapping out ? What weight are you shooting for ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Kabush does have an SL now in XL size. He is probably one of the only ones though, Nino being on a M

bike rider
    What parts you swapping out ? What weight are you shooting for ?
    I'm swapping out everything except the headset and maybe seatpost clamp and rear axle. My 5010 is 23.5lbs with its XC tires so this needs to be at least a pound lighter to make me happy but it should probably be just over 20 with its "easy course" tires.

32 Factory fork with non-remote damper
    Carbon-Ti/Light Bicycle/CX-Ray wheels
    XX1 derailleur/shifter/cassette (not Eagle) KMC X11sl chain
    Next SL G4 or XX1 Eagle crankset (not sure how I feel about the Raceface BB for 30mm spindle in BB92)
    XTR Race brakes, Formula 160mm rotors
    soon-to-be-released ultralight 5" dropper post
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    Xpedo 8Ti pedals
    Ritchey WCS stem
    probably Next SL handlebar
    ESI grips
    all steel bolts swapped out to Ti or Al

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm swapping out everything except the headset and maybe seatpost clamp and rear axle. My 5010 is 23.5lbs with its XC tires so this needs to be at least a pound lighter to make me happy but it should probably be just over 20 with its "easy course" tires.

32 Factory fork with non-remote damper
    Carbon-Ti/Light Bicycle/CX-Ray wheels
    XX1 derailleur/shifter/cassette (not Eagle) KMC X11sl chain
    Next SL G4 or XX1 Eagle crankset (not sure how I feel about the Raceface BB for 30mm spindle in BB92)
    XTR Race brakes, Formula 160mm rotors
    soon-to-be-released ultralight 5" dropper post
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    Xpedo 8Ti pedals
    Ritchey WCS stem
    probably Next SL handlebar
    ESI grips
    all steel bolts swapped out to Ti or Al
    Sounds nice ! Post some pics here if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Spark RC 2017-img_5837.jpg

My build:

RC 900SL in XL- got very lucky
    Eagle XX1
    XTR breaks
    Enve M60 Waiting on black stickers
    Continental Mezcal tires
    Chris King hubs
    Enve bars
    Fabric seat

23 ish lbs

So far Ergos: holy shit I was cramped on my large 14 epic s-works.

Geo: more slack. Definitely more confidence inspiring fast downhill. A bit of oversteer-might be able to tune it out with suspension. Not nearly as sharp steering as epic. That's good and bad.

Suspension: holy shit balls. Waaay more plush. I didn't realize how much the brain stuff rattles and beats you up. The three position deal is slick. When it's locked it's locked.

So far I'm very pleased.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    How tall are you?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    6'1 ish? Honestly not sure. Long legged though with 33-34 inseam. I made the L Epic work, but had the post maxed out to do it. Also had to run a longer stem.

I feel like I'm on the bubble between sizes. The XL feels more comfortable, but, perhaps a bit less racy.

bike rider
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5837.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	1132663

My build:

RC 900SL in XL- got very lucky
    Eagle XX1
    XTR breaks
    Enve M60 Waiting on black stickers
    Continental Mezcal tires
    Chris King hubs
    Enve bars
    Fabric seat

23 ish lbs

Geo: more slack. Definitely more confidence inspiring fast downhill. A bit of oversteer-might be able to tune it out with suspension. Not nearly as sharp steering as epic. That's good and bad.

Suspension: holy shit balls. Waaay more plush. I didn't realize how much the brain stuff rattles and beats you up. The three position deal is slick. When it's locked it's locked.

So far I'm very pleased.
    When did you order it and frameset or complete bike? Are you using the 70mm stem it came with?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I ordered in December....right after bikes were "sold out." I'm sticking with the OEM stem.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Spark RC 2017-img_5876.jpg

Blacked out wheels. Looks better...in my opinion anyway.

mtbr member
    Spark RC 2017-img_3783.jpg

Finally got mine. Spark RC 900 Pro, size large

Only using the frame, fork, headset.

All XX1 Eagle, except the black cassette and chain
    Bontrager XXX kovee wheels
    Enve big sweep bar
    SRAM level ultimate brakes, centerlock rotors
    KS lev CI dropper with wolftooth lever
    Swapped the stock twin-loc lever for the "on top of the bar" version
    WTB volt (150mm, ti rails)
    Maxxis Ikon EXO 2.2 in the rear
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO 2.25
    Swapped the stem for a 70mm version (I'm 5' 10")
    ESI racer grips
    XTR pedals
    Fox Kabolt : )

22.6lbs!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Trick

bike rider
    A fox rep told me he guesses the fork that comes on the WC & Pro bikes is about a half pound heavier than a Factory 32sc. Does that sound about right? Steerer, crown, uppers (cheaper alloy), and damper (Grip vs Fit4) are different. I'm planning to swap mine for a Factory 32sc with non-remote Fit4 damper.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've no idea on weight. I would imagine the fox websit would have all that data. I did handle them prior to build and they were very light. I think lighter than the carbon crown SID forks on my epic.

mtbr member
    A fox rep told me he guesses the fork that comes on the WC & Pro bikes is about a half pound heavier than a Factory 32sc. Does that sound about right? Steerer, crown, uppers (cheaper alloy), and damper (Grip vs Fit4) are different. I'm planning to swap mine for a Factory 32sc with non-remote Fit4 damper.
    The fork on my pro came with a fit 4 damper. My understanding is that it's the same fork, minus the kashima coating. I actually ordered a new damper before receiving the bike, thinking that I'd swap it out. So, if anybody needs a fit4 damper for a 32sc, I've got one.

Spark RC 2017-img_0042.jpg

bike rider
    Hmm, confusing. Scott's website says it's the Performance model. The only way to know would be to call Fox with your serial number and find out what you have. It would be great if this is a Factory fork minus Kashima cuz all I'd have to do is swap out the top cap to ditch the remote. I'll hold off on ordering a new fork until I have my bike and can verify what it came with.

mtbr member
    that's how the seatpost is. it's just the kashima coating between the factory and the performance.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    that's how the seatpost is. it's just the kashima coating between the factory and the performance.
    But with the forks the difference is also the damper and the type of alloy used in the upper assembly. This from the Fox website and confirmed via phone. What we're lookng at on the WC and Pro is some sort of OEM only combination. We know it has the damper of the Factory and the stantion finish of the Performance but the heavier or lighter uppers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    On RC Pro the fork is Performance, on RC WC is Performance Elite.
    Performance Elite is factory without kashima.

mtbr member
    Where is that on the fox website? i can't seem to find it.

bike rider
    Where is that on the fox website? i can't seem to find it.
    Details on the Performance's damper and stantion coating are on the website. Nothing is up on the Performance Elite yet. A phone call to Fox got me the info on the different material and weight difference in the Performance's steerer/crown/uppers.

When my bike arrives I'll call Fox with the serial number to find out which upper I have. Did your fork come with the hex axle or QR?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Performance Elite is OEM only, at least it was until this year. For 2018 it will be available after-market.
    From bikeradar:

The SC 32 Performance Elite is available with the same FIT4 cartridge damper and 7000 series alloy sliders as the Factory fork, but uses black anodizing on the sliders, rather than the gold Kashima-coating that's intended to reduce friction.

mtbr member
    The fork on my pro came with a fit 4 damper. My understanding is that it's the same fork, minus the kashima coating. I actually ordered a new damper before receiving the bike, thinking that I'd swap it out. So, if anybody needs a fit4 damper for a 32sc, I've got one.

Spark RC 2017-img_0042.jpg
    That's not the FIT 4, but the GRIP damper. FIT4 has a compression adjuster knob on top, while the GRIP 3 only has a rebound adjuster at the bottom of the fork leg.

I've had the Fox Step Cast 32 Factory with FIT4 damper and the GRIP damper. On normal bumps and roots it's hard to tell the difference, but when it ramps up quickly, the GRIP damper tends to compress almost completely, while the FIT4 damper stays higher in the travel.

Fox remotes are total crap : the spring inside the fork's top cap tends jump loose internally, resulting in a damper that won't return to it's open position, it happen's all the time. Unbelievable they still can't get it right after all these years. The new RockShox OneLoc remote with the charger damper works like a charm.

FIT 4 with remote :
    Spark RC 2017-1-oclock.jpg

mtbr member
    huh... i wonder why mine says fit 4, bastards. thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    At Sea Otter in the Scott booth I spotted a Fox 32 carbon crown/steer tube SC fork on the Scott 900 RC SL that they had on display. Will try to post pic off phone.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've got the Fit4 damper and so far the action is good, but, i will say the remote lockout does leave something to be desired. Seems very finicky and a bit unreliable.

m66
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well i don't​ know what are you talking about: spec for 900rc wc from Scott website:

FORK

FOX 32 SC Float Performance Elite Air
    FIT4 3-Modes with low speed adj. / 15x110mm QR axle
    tapered steerer / Lockout / Reb. Adj.
    100mm travel

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m66 View Post
    Well i don't​ know what are you talking about: spec for 900rc wc from Scott website:

FORK

FOX 32 SC Float Performance Elite Air
    FIT4 3-Modes with low speed adj. / 15x110mm QR axle
    tapered steerer / Lockout / Reb. Adj.
    100mm travel

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    900 RC World Cup ! Image shown above is from the 900 RC Pro, which has a GRIP damper.

For those who doubt, enter the Fox four digit code printed on the fork to see travel, offset, damper, etc :

Bike Help Center | FOX

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    Fox remotes are total crap : the spring inside the fork's top cap tends jump loose internally, resulting in a damper that won't return to it's open position, it happen's all the time. Unbelievable they still can't get it right after all these years.
    Interesting. I have not experienced that issue with my 2016 fork that has the FIT 4 damper. What do you mean "jumps loose internally". Is the return spring disengaging or is it something else. Just curious. I keep an eye out for potential problems that others may be having with this fork and have not heard of this. I know there was a problem where the sleeve that the cable attaches to would rub on the wall of the housing and cause the actuator to return slowly or not at all. That was corrected by adding a bearing to the sleeve. This is a new one to me. If is a problem I would want to keep a lookout for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've got the Fit4 damper and so far the action is good, but, i will say the remote lockout does leave something to be desired. Seems very finicky and a bit unreliable.
    It may be that itís not properly adjusted. Simply removing slack from the cable with the barrel adjuster at the thumb lever will not get it done. The damper has a disk with several slots and holes that rotates to select between fully open and locked-out. To fully lockout the fork the small hole in the disc must be aligned with a corresponding small hole in a valve body. If that doesnít occur the fork will not fully lockout. The cable tension needs to be properly adjusted to ensure the two holes are aligned when the thumb lever is in the lockout position. This accomplished by first removing slack from the cable with the barrel adjuster. Move the thumb lever to the lockout position and try to compress the fork. Itís likely you will still be able to compress the fork. If that is the case, return the thumb lever to the fully open position and add tension to the cable with the barrel adjuster. I usually do half turn increments. Again, move the thumb lever to the lockout position and check to see if the fork will compress. Continue repeating the steps until the fork will not compress when the thumb lever is in the lockout position. At that point the lockout is properly adjusted.

One note, with the lockout properly adjusted you probably wonít notice any difference between the fully open position and the intermediate position by simply bouncing on the fork while stationary. There will, however, be a noticeable difference between the two positions when actually riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Finely got all the parts for my 2017 Spark 900 RC SL. First problem wheelset is Kappius boost hubs. Front brake rotor bolts eating into fork leg Fox SC. Hope floating brake rotor with Formula TI bolts. Second problem is rear wheel is about 5 mm off center to drive side, with correct dish and true of wheel. Tried another boost wheel in rear and would not fit. Rear spokes are so tight afraid to loosen and move to non drive side.

Anybody have problems? Have contacted Scott dealer and Scott Mfg. Waiting answer.
    This bike has never been ridden yet.

bike rider
    If you replace the alloy spider front rotor with a normal steel rotor would the bolts clear? Maybe combine this with bolts that have a lower profile head?

What do you mean the second rear boost wheel you tried "didn't fit"? The axle was too wide or too narrow? Since your first wheel is properly dished I'm wondering if your rear triangle got messed up.

Your 3rd problem is you will need to change your user name once this thing is ridable.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jet9rdopilot View Post
    Finely got all the parts for my 2017 Spark 900 RC SL. First problem wheelset is Kappius boost hubs. Front brake rotor bolts eating into fork leg Fox SC. Hope floating brake rotor with Formula TI bolts. Second problem is rear wheel is about 5 mm off center to drive side, with correct dish and true of wheel. Tried another boost wheel in rear and would not fit. Rear spokes are so tight afraid to loosen and move to non drive side.

Anybody have problems? Have contacted Scott dealer and Scott Mfg. Waiting answer.
    This bike has never been ridden yet.
    Was this a frame/fork and your doing a custom build or the whole bike from SCOTT?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My 930 Stock real wheel is off center to the right too. Its to much to be a build fault I think.

Sendt fra min F5121 med Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Was this a frame/fork and your doing a custom build or the whole bike from SCOTT? If you replace the alloy spider front rotor with a normal steel rotor would the bolts clear? Maybe combine this with bolts that have a lower profile head?

What do you mean the second rear boost wheel you tried "didn't fit"? The axle was too wide or too narrow? Since your first wheel is properly dished I'm wondering if your rear triangle got messed up.

Your 3rd problem is you will need to change your user name once this thing is ridable.

1) 2017 Spark 900 RC SL Frame set with came with Fox 32 SC, stem, seat post, HS, etc. Yes custom build.
    2) Hope 160 float brake rotor mic'ed out at 2.03 mm (that is the problem) most are 1.7 - 1.8 mm. Also, tried lower profile bolts before mic and still hit fork leg.
    3) I did not see it but LBS said they tried another boost wheel in frame and would not fit do to brake flange hitting brake adapter.
    4) Name change, I am a Airbus pilot.
    5) Rear wheel is dished correct and true.
    6) Bike is back at Scott dealer and pic sent to Scott. Said something about drop outs, but waiting on Scott.
    Ordered bike in November and received it in April, now all this problems and I have not even ridden it. Sold old bike in November so have not ridden since then. Could go rent a bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    FYI Not all wheels can be used with this bike. I have a expensive wheel set and the brake preloader hits the brake caliper.. Filed the caliper down till it fit, should not have to do this on a $5000 dollar frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jet9rdopilot View Post
    FYI Not all wheels can be used with this bike. I have a expensive wheel set and the brake preloader hits the brake caliper.. Filed the caliper down till it fit, should not have to do this on a $5000 dollar frame.
    Same here. My custom fanatik nox build had the disc rubbing the caliper. I had to compensate by siting the caliper unnaturally and using less torque than needed on the axle until the pads wrote down. Same wheels bolt up fine to my niner.

bike rider
    Hmm, I've got Carbon-Ti hubs on the way. I'll test fit them with rotors in the frame and fork before lacing them up. Can you guys describe what is wrong? Does the rotor sit too far outboard? I'll be using Formula R1 one piece rotors with XTR Race calipers.

mtbr member

Upset

Hy!!
    I'm a happy owner of a 2017 Spark 900 RC WC.
    I've made some changes in to the wheelset and the drive train.
    I also changed the saddle!! i couldn't stand the syncros!!harsh as hell.

I have it about 3 months now,everything went perfectly,it's a great bike.
    Las week the remote mechanism in the fork started to give me problems it diden't move in the 3 positions correctly.
    i've made a video of it:https://youtu.be/1CHGRcKeyjE
    there are a lot of these in youtube
    and apparently (at least here in europe) it's a wide spreaded issue and FOX knows about it,the shop's also but it hasn't a 100% fix also the 2018 forks have the same flaw,and there is no final solution!!
    What is the general opinion on this you guys?

OBS: In my bike shop almost all the stepcast fork's had issues!

Thks

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Great looking rig. Ive got the RC SL and had the same problem with fork lockout. After a readjust it seems okay. Sure wish it was hydraulic! Overall I really like this bike.

bike rider
    So what is the real story with the SLs vs the normal frames? In recent write ups on the World Cup racers' bikes it was said that they use the regular frame for "durability" but Kabush was racing a SL at Grand Junction. Why are Scott's national level riders on the top frame while the World Cuppers are on the heavier version? Is there really a difference in impact strength?

mtbr member
    Hy!
    I believe that it's just a question of measurement of the risks.
    If you have a lighter frame,the provability of having cracks or issues is bigger,so to the "big boys" in the top races it isn't worth it.
    They have the power to go with te extra grams, but with the added reliability.
    In the end it's a just an option like everything else

bike rider
    Through a miscommunication I ended up with a complete RC Pro bike and a RC SL frameset. I'll be selling the Pro but I'd already disassembled it so I weighed the frames and forks.
    Spark RC 2017-20170526_175429.jpg

These are XL frames. I weighed them without seat collar, thru-axle, and chain guide but with all cable ports and derailleur hanger. The SL is 1880g, the Pro is 1990g. Add 90g for the remote and cable (I'll probably use it).

I weigh forks without thru-axles because there's options for them.
    The Pro's Performance fork is 1335g with its steerer cut to 178mm. The SL's Factory fork is 1360g with a very long uncut steerer, so probably the same. This is surprising because the Fox rep told me to expect a 100g difference due to the cheaper alloy used in the Performance's CSU. Perhaps the WC and Pro use the Performance Elite fork that shares the same uppers as the Factory just without Kashima. After all, it has a non adjustable LSC version of the Fit4 damper instead of the Grip damper the Performance is supposed to come with.

One last thing, what is this screw for on the inside of the right chainstay? It's on both the SL and Pro.
    Spark RC 2017-20170525_233726.jpg
    A Scott rep said, "That bolt is for a chain guide to bolt to in order to keep everything tight against the stay." I was like, huh? Has anyone seen anything attached here?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    My SL came with a plastic chainstay protector, which is sticked on and also bolts there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bike rider
    Huh, nothing like that included with either of my bikes.
    How about these guys that were included with the SL frameset? Any idea what they're for?
    Spark RC 2017-20170526_224738.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    No idea what those are

Regarding the SL vs WC frames for racing, it doesn't seem to be an issue for this guy:

Won in Nove Mesto and is leading the U23 XCO World Cup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Managed to get a 2017 Spark SL frameset only, but due to an unhealed broken collarbone I am only just looking at building it.

Is there any manual etc around to show how the dozen or so odds and ends for the cables and hose fit into the frame? I do not seem to have anything which screws in to the bottom bracket shell where the cable / hose exits.

I got a manual showing that cups are needed for the headset ( the 2017 manual shows a 2016 frame!) - do the bearings just drop straight on to the carbon shoulders in the frame?

Thanks.

bike rider
    My frameset came with the lower downtube cable exit assembly bolted to the frame. It sounds like you are missing your's. The other cable port covers are to let you run di2 or cable and dropper or no dropper with 4 or 5mm housing or hose.

I just realized that I never posted after finishing my build. Here it is:Spark RC 2017-20170621_153345.jpg
    19.9lbs with Thunder Burt tires. 20.4lbs with Aspen tires. Notice that includes a 5" 9point8 dropper!
    I'm loving everything about it except the seat tube angle is a little too slack. Note the very forward saddle position. This may only be an issue for tall guys. I've got the post at the max height line on a XL frame. If we're really nit picking losing another .5į off the headtube would be nice and the reach could be 1cm longer. I'm running a 60mm stem cuz it handles sweet but they never intended such a short stem.
    Suspension is dialed with 140 in the shock and 95 in the fork with 0 tokens. It came with 2 installed. I'm running the fork LSC halfway and the shock rebound on click 12 out of 16. I weigh 175-180 geared up including my small Camelbak with just enough water (depending how much water).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cool picture - but any chance of posting a picture of that cable and hose exiting the bottom of the frame en route to the rear mech and rear brake caliper please?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Spark RC 2017

Here is a pic from mine.

Top is derailleur cable, bottom is brake.

The headset bearings are drop in straight on the carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Brilliant. Thanks very much for your help. Looking forward to getting on it at long last.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by celestequattro View Post
    Brilliant. Thanks very much for your help. Looking forward to getting on it at long last.
    So that's what you have? No missing parts?