Thread: Spark opinions

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Spark opinions

I do a lot of endurance events and the past few seasons I've raced my Scott Scale Pro HT and it has been great. I also have a Giant Anthem (both 29r) that I ride for fun and rougher trails. I'm not getting any younger and last year the HT beat me up at a few events. So" I'm thinking of selling both bikes and getting 1 higher end FS to do it all. I have it down to the Spark or Cannondale Scalpel. Anyone here have experience on the Spark that could chime in if it would be a good all around bike foe XC as well as long endurance? Pro's v Con's?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I had a chance to demo the Spark 910 today as well as the Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2. The twin lock wasn't working right (rear would lock but not the front) so bummed I didn't get the full experience. I'm 6'0" and test rode a Large (I have a Large Scale currently). The bike felt 'big'. As I was riding it didn't feel like something I could ride all day at an endurance race. On the other hand, the Scalpel felt very comfortable, quick and responsive. I was disappointed though that the Scalpel at that price point would have such a low end / heavy wheel set. That bike w/o pedals was 26.5lbs. Whaaaa.....

So now I'm torn. I was really wanting to like the Spark more than I did. It just didn't seem to have the 'wow' I was looking for. I think I'm going to try and ride it again next weekend and see if I can get the fit more dialed and have the twin lock working. The saddle was all the way back on the rails so maybe that's part of why I was feeling stretched out?!?!?!?

I had my eye on the Premium with full XTR. I really hope the next ride produces a different result

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting your thoughts on these two bikes. Please let us know what you think after you ride them again next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you have not read it yet: Scott Spark 910: Mid Term a pretty go review i think.. The last part of the review should be avalible at the end of this week..
    I just ordered the spark 900 sl frame can't wait.
    In my experience the best way to test different bikes is to make sure to use the same setup, saddel high and center of the saddel must have the same distance to the crankbox.. stem can always be regulatet according to your prefference.. With that said Scott specs thier Spark frame larger than the scale, so if you are in the small end of a large Scale i would try a medium Spark..

mtbr member
    I rode both before buying the Spark. The Scalpel was nice, but it just didn't feel as efficient on long climbs, and it just felt overdamped overall. It's possible they have since changed the shock tune. I also preferred the Spark geometry.

I ride a Large in both the Scale and Spark. The Spark is a longer bike, but it the added stability is nice with the increased descending capabilities of full suspension. I would also suggest a shorter stem on the Spark than the Scale.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Just got a Spark 720. Been riding a Spearfish for xc racing/endurance and a SB95 for trail duty. With a set of Light-bicycle carbon rims, the Spark could easily replace both. The extra 20mm of travel make this bike more versatile over the Spark 9. I've never been a fan of remotes, but the twinloc is growing on me. I've been riding it open 80% of the time and hit traction mode when the trail gets playful, jumps and drops etc. It still pedals well in open for having medium'ish anit-squat and its still active with good support.

I've ridden Scalpels before and I'm a big Lefty fan, but the Spark 7 takes the nod for me due to versatility. Your back will love the extra travel and plush open mode.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    I rode both before buying the Spark. The Scalpel was nice, but it just didn't feel as efficient on long climbs, and it just felt overdamped overall. It's possible they have since changed the shock tune. I also preferred the Spark geometry.

I ride a Large in both the Scale and Spark. The Spark is a longer bike, but it the added stability is nice with the increased descending capabilities of full suspension. I would also suggest a shorter stem on the Spark than the Scale.
    How tall are you? Inseam?

mtbr member
    5'11". 34" inseam.

I ran a 90mm stem on both, but could go 80mm on the Spark.

The Spark 29 is the most versatile bike I've ever owned.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com