mtbr member

Spark Lockout Necessary?

Was reading about the spark in MTB action. They made it seem that climbing will always require to activate the lockout. Does it bob, or what is the problem?
    I'm thinking of getting a Spark for XC but don't want to be fiddling around with a lockout.

Genius
    MTB Action....... Throw that one away. Thats not really a magazine I give a lot of respect too. As far as bike reviews go. I dont pay much attention to any of them. Go ride several bikes yourself and make a first hand decision based upon test rides and not a magazine article.

I have a Genius and absolutely love having the remote lockout adjustment/lockout feature at my finger tips.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Understood.
    I'm looking at buying used and can't test ride one. From what I've read, it's one of the best XC race bikes... but I still want to know, why is it necessary to have a lockout on the Spark. They seem to all have it, must be for a reason.

Does the suspension bob?

Genius
    The spark will likely bob a tad. Almost all do and pro-pedal capable shocks can eliminate a lot of the bob if the rear shock has the pro-pedal feature. My Genius does not bob, but its a completely different setup than the spark.

Out of the saddle climbing would be the reason for having a lockout. There's nothing more inefficient than climbing out of the saddle on full suspension bike. I wont buy a bike without lock out.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One local Scott dealer said the 2012 Spark rear suspension is so worthless in any mode other than locked out. The other Scott dealer said to toss the oem shock and put on a Monarch....and it's still a so-so setup compared to the other designs on the market.

I have two Scott bikes - cx and 29er carbon ht - but wouldn't touch their FS models.

mtbr member
    I found this thread:http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...I2pPCCggAslb8A
    Turns out it bobs more than a 5 dollar hooker. Thanks for your help, I'll look at other bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Which Spark are we talking about? Last generation or current generation? That thread with the 2011 is last generation.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just picked up a 2012 Spark RC 26" and love it. The Twinlock system works great and when its locked it feels like a hardtail. I also own a Specialized with the Brain front and rear, I like this setup also but I prefer being able to select how harsh it rides. Besides, everyone owns a Specialized.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Spark and LOVE it. I climb in the saddle and get very little bob. I rarely use the lock-out. To each his own. I LOVE this bike!!!!!

mtbr member
    The Scott Spark is the greatest bike known to man. Every time I ride it, rainbows fly out of my butt. All praise the Spark.
    Last edited by Thatshowiroll; 09-28-2012 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Do you eat skittles before a ride to get the rainbow out of your butt?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It bobs a little but it's not that bad. I have the twin lock and disconnected the line for the front fork so it only locks the rear suspension. It climbs much better that way.

Genius
    All FS bike bob. Having a lockout is a bonus feature, not a band aid. I wish all suspension were capable of L/O, they become 10x more efficient when climbing.

mtbr member
    Are you in Sunnyvale CA? If you ride a medium and you use CB pedals you can meet me for a ride sometime in November. I just bought a 2012 Spark20 26" from Tread in Campbell. I like it. I have raced hard-tails for the last 6 years, so any bob is annoying to me. I like the lock out. It is so quick and easy to use that I used it more than the front derailleur.
    You didnít say what you want the bike for so I wrote my perspective.
    I wanted good fun/dollar. I bought this bike as a play bike that is good enough for Tahoe trails, but not a boat anchor.
    The bike does have a single front pivot point that is above the bottom bracket. It bobs less than my old Rocky Mountain Element Race, where the pivot point was behind the BB, but I can still feel it. It bugs me on pavement, so I flip the switch.
    On fire road or any seated climb, I bump it to the middle setting and the bob is still there, but the benefit to the smother ride is worth it.
    Any time the trail points downhill, I could tap the lever and I had a 5Ē bike. I rode Brail at Demo yesterday and found the bike handles corners pretty well. The grip on the front end is confidence inspiring and the rear was not nervous. If I could get off the brakes the bike has very good manners. If I was on the brakes then the rear started to skip over chop. This is a mixture of a rusty rider and an XC bike playing All Mountain. Note that I put on a 2.3 aggressively treaded front tire and went tubeless front and rear.
    It was neat on the rollers to bomb down a rough section with 5Ē and click the lever stand up and just crank up a short climb.
    I did not hit the huge drops, but anything 2 feet and under was easy for the bike to handle and I weigh just less than 190lbs. (Iíve been hurt for 9 monthsÖIím working on it!)
    I could see racing on a rough course with this bike like Napa Skyline, any course with too much chop for a hardtail, or any Super-D especially if there are a couple rolling climbs.
    I rode a Pivot 5.7 last year and it is a great bike, but it costs way more, weighs a lot more, bobs a bit more, does not have a lock out, but wwwwwwwwow it was great to point downhill and rail turns! That is the perfect Tahoe bike IMHO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Very new to a FS ride... but got myself a 26" 2012 spark 30 recently... and while i guess it's hard for me to comment having not really riden much else, i'm a pretty big fan of the lockout... even tho i absolutely HATE all the cables that come off my handlebars. It's one of the reasons i'm here actually...

...the more and more i read of others comments, about this DTnude2 shock, makes me wonder if i should consider changing it! i personally don't have too much of an issue with the slight "bob" when i'm seated in the "traction" setting on climbs...

I find myself operating the lockout lever ALOT... and i'm wondering if i take off all the cabling etc for it, if having to flick a lever on both the fork and the shock would annoy me more... it seems, unlike alot of other people, that don't like the fork being locked out with the rear... i'm kinda the opposite... i'd sooner have it so that when the bike is in traction mode, the fork is locked out... i was playing with the adjustments on the cables to make this happen, but i figured al i'd end up with is a for that is locked out on two of the settings, then in the "reduced travel" mode when in the unlocked position...

like others, when i'm out on the dirt, the bike basically lives in traction mode... until i start going down, then about halfway down i'll remember i've got more travel available and flick the lockout lever... so if i can only start remembering to switch these modes BEFORE i start descending... removing the lever from my bars might not be too bad a thing?

unless i consider another shock....

curiously, rainbows don't fly out of my ass when riding my bike... i shalt however, praise thy spark

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Moz-Scott View Post
    Very new to a FS ride... but got myself a 26" 2012 spark 30 recently... and while i guess it's hard for me to comment having not really riden much else, i'm a pretty big fan of the lockout... even tho i absolutely HATE all the cables that come off my handlebars. It's one of the reasons i'm here actually...

...the more and more i read of others comments, about this DTnude2 shock, makes me wonder if i should consider changing it! i personally don't have too much of an issue with the slight "bob" when i'm seated in the "traction" setting on climbs...

I find myself operating the lockout lever ALOT... and i'm wondering if i take off all the cabling etc for it, if having to flick a lever on both the fork and the shock would annoy me more... it seems, unlike alot of other people, that don't like the fork being locked out with the rear... i'm kinda the opposite... i'd sooner have it so that when the bike is in traction mode, the fork is locked out... i was playing with the adjustments on the cables to make this happen, but i figured al i'd end up with is a for that is locked out on two of the settings, then in the "reduced travel" mode when in the unlocked position...

like others, when i'm out on the dirt, the bike basically lives in traction mode... until i start going down, then about halfway down i'll remember i've got more travel available and flick the lockout lever... so if i can only start remembering to switch these modes BEFORE i start descending... removing the lever from my bars might not be too bad a thing?

unless i consider another shock....

curiously, rainbows don't fly out of my ass when riding my bike... i shalt however, praise thy spark
    You could remove the remote lockout from the handle bars .... but it's taking a step backwards and I'd bet you'd miss the convenience immediately. I know I do every time I ride something without it. Most companies are still trying to come up with a durable/efficient remote lockout. Who wants to stop halfway down (or up) that trail you mentioned, just to get more or less travel. I go back and forth from half to full travel several times per ride having never stopped to achieve this. Too additional cables, is far out weighed by having the convenience of on the fly switching.

mtbr member
    If anyone removes the lockout lever from their handle bars, please send to me!!!!!

Genius
    Its a $70 part new.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    You could remove the remote lockout from the handle bars .... but it's taking a step backwards and I'd bet you'd miss the convenience immediately. I know I do every time I ride something without it. Most companies are still trying to come up with a durable/efficient remote lockout. Who wants to stop halfway down (or up) that trail you mentioned, just to get more or less travel. I go back and forth from half to full travel several times per ride having never stopped to achieve this. Too additional cables, is far out weighed by having the convenience of on the fly switching.
    ...so i changed out a bit of gear on my handlebars today (swapped out my riser for a flat carbon bar) and changed my shifters over to i-spec mounts... to de-clutter the handlebars... i stop there staring at the twinloc while it wasn't on the bars... and staring at the nice clean handlebars... ummm'd and ahhhh'd a fair bit...

ultimately, decided you are right, i'd miss the convenience WAY too much... i know i use the bloody thing a ridiculous amount... I even seem to use it when i'm just blasting around the streets in town. so for now, it stays

at least until i decide to replace the shock...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    The Scott Spark is the greatest bike known to man. Every time I ride it, rainbows fly out of my butt. All praise the Spark.
    Too right!!!

The lockout is a brilliant feature that I use on every ride - its like having two bikes in one at my fingertips.

mtbr member
    I just got back from three days of riding in the Tahoe, CA area and I have mixed reviews. A big disclaimer is that I have been hurt for 9 months, so I am way out of shape and I believe that conditioning is huge in regards to form on the bike, power to clear obstacles, stamina to keep focus, etc.
    I use the lock out more than the front derailleur. It is a bit of a magic button to help climb when there is traction and I have the legs to stand.
    I was not very happy with the bike on slow speed highly technical rocky areas. I canít put my finger on why I struggled so much with the bike feeling so harsh on rocks. It seemed that I had a very hard time keeping the bike rolling over small rocks.
    However, the bike was very good in loose sand and fast descents. It felt good on berms and small to 2 foot drops.
    Overall Iím happy with the bike, but not ecstatic. I plan to race a Super-D on the 21st, so Iíll let you know how it handles in the big ring.

Genius
    It's not the bike, it's your conditioning. When I am out of shape, I hate everything about my bike. Any bike. It's just all wrong when I am hurting. Bad tires, crappy grips, out of tune suspension...... you name it, I hate it. However, in a couple weeks once I get my bike legs back I feel like a missile, no mater which bike I am riding.

Good luck on the race!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Scott View Post
    Too right!!!

The lockout is a brilliant feature that I use on every ride - its like having two bikes in one at my fingertips.
    Sorry, I was being sarcastic. That was my response after someone here called me an idiot for not liking the Spark Lockout System.

To each their own.