mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Spark Limited...or should I say "UnLimited?"

I'm about to purchase a new bike, or maybe a new 08 if the new bike is a Limited. I've also been considering the 09 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL as a potential candidate. But the Limited has been teasing me for some time now. IS the LIMITED worth it? Does anyone have one and is it worth twice as much as some descent bikes? The '08's sell for around $8K, and less on some sites, BUT the '09's are well over $10K and find that price outrageous. Are the Europeans trying to get back at us on that one? Anyway, paying more for a bike than some cars seems nuts and I look at the components and they aren't any different than the Trek. The weight "seems" really important to me on some psychological level, being the weight weenie I am, but is that REALLY worth it? Is the Limited Frame where the extra value is? If so, what makes it so special, exotic, worth the money? Does the bike have a lifetime, what ever that means, guarantee? Any suggestions, advice, comments would be appreciated.
    Lastly, if I go the route of a '08 model, anyone know where there is a fair deal out there, for a large?

slap-tanker
    If you've got the money - you won't regret spending it. You could probably find a better deal on an '08 then 8K though. They are cheaper than that here in the UK.
    In the UK? Try these routes in the Peak District:

http://www.brassington.org/new_site/...ike_routes.htm

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    do you have one? if so, what is your height, weight and inseam? and what is the bike's size? what fork on front and do you spend most of your time xc? thanks for your feed back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    5 years warranty.

prices for 2009 are up since scott's margin for '08 was super low due to the $ - Euro exchange rate. like many competitors they want to be safe for 2008 and not keep loosing money in the u.s. market ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nice bike, I would also check out the Ibis Mojo.

mtbr member
    I don't know if its really worth it honestly. 8K is a lot of money for a bike, and I agree with the rest of you that bike prices are really getting pretty crazy. I took a different approach and bought a Spark 30, with the plan to upgrade over time. There were 2 reasons: one I like a project that holds my attention and keeps me engaged, and 2 I just couldn't drop 5-6 thousand or more in one shot like that. Now that being said I've spent nearly six grand on my bike by this point. And yes I would still rather have a LTD, but still not sure I'd be willing to spend the extra 2K. Long story short is each person has to make up their own mind as to the worth of such things. Good luck hunting.

mtbr member
    I think you are better off getting fitted to a frame... a perfect fitted moots sounds better and cheaper to me! Might not be as light but I think the fit makes the most difference and not a generic frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Scott Spark is 5 year warranty (but only 3 if you don't have yearly shop service by authorized dealer.)
    Trek lifetime and if you have the correct dealer in your area, they are extremely good at frame replacement. (I have had great luck with their warranty over the years.)

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    Nice bike, I would also check out the Ibis Mojo.
    Spark Limited = Pure Race bike

Ibis Mojo = All Mountain

Why?

mtbr member
    I have been racing and riding a Spark LTD for a year now. Before that I was on a Spark 10. Is the Spark LTD worth it? Well, it doesn't make any sense to say a bike isn't worth 8K just because it is a bike and not a car or motorcycle. A bike like the Spark LTD is worth it if you are one to want the very best, the very lightest, and the very stealthiest looking bike around. The Spark LTD frame is lighter than the Spark 30 frame and stiffer than the Spark 10 frame. I have been racing and riding XC for over 10 years, and have owned many light bikes. The Spark LTD is the best bike I have ever ridden. Some may say I am biased because I am a dealer, and I may be. But everyone is biased to some degree based on what they are currently riding or have ridden. As a bike dealer I get to choose from many bikes which bike I am going to ride and race. I choose the Spark LTD. PM me if you want more detailed info.
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

Weight Weenie Addict!
    Jun 2008
    I don't see why the LTD is stiffer than the 10 (based on 2008 models) as both are built using HMX Carbon Fiber....the 15, 20 and 30 do use a different Carbon Fiber. The LTD has the integrated seatpost which some people like but it has been proven that a regular HMX frame like the 10 with a light Schmolke or AX seatpost is lighter as the Ritchey Stubby seatpost included in the LTD is very heavy. I'm really sad to see the 10 go to the lower grade Carbon for 2009...Only the LTD and RC get the HMX carbon but with integrated seatpost.

My answer to this question is very simple: If you have lots of $$$$ and don't want to think the purchase or the kind of equipment too much go ahead with the LTD. What I would do? Get a Spark 10 (2008) or LTD frameset and build up a real Weight Weenie sub 18-pound Spark with those $8-$9K....I did that and the results is a Spark 20 at 17.75 lbs, race-worthy and reliable. On the other hand if the Stealth looks are your thing nothing beats the LTD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartpr
    I don't see why the LTD is stiffer than the 10 (based on 2008 models) as both are built using HMX Carbon Fiber....the 15, 20 and 30 do use a different Carbon Fiber. .
    Well, since I have raced and ridden both the Spark 10 and the Spark LTD, I can tell you that the LTD is stiffer, and it doesnt have anything to do with the blend of carbon. It is because of the integrated seat post that it is stiffer. All one piece of carbon all the way from the bottom bracket to the saddle rails is always going to be stiffer than multiple tubes of different diameters and materials, such as the Spark 10, or any bike that has a 2 piece design. 1 piece will always be stiffer than 2 unconnected pieces. This stiffness can mostly be felt at the BB when going hard into turns under power. The BB is twisting less, thus more power to the pedals, under hard acceleration in turns. Out of the saddle hard efforts it feels about the same as the Spark 10, but once you sit down and make that connection to the BB, you can feel the stiffness.
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

mtbr member
    sagecycles, is it worth replacing the Spark original shock to either FOX RP23 or RS Monarch? Whick shock are you using?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    sagecycles, is it worth replacing the Spark original shock to either FOX RP23 or RS Monarch? Whick shock are you using?
    ya, know there are 2 schools of thought on the rear shock. some say that the rear shock should be smart enough to handle what ever gets thrown at it, and be able to perform under all conditions without any rider input, as in the RP23. I like the original shock better then the RP23, because it has all the technology that the RP23 has, and I get to control its behaviour if I want to, by using the trac-loc lever. I like the DT Swiss because it has real lock out too. I wouldn't change a thing on the rear shock. Most naa-sayers dont know how to properly use the trac-loc system, or have never used it.

Weight Weenie Addict!
    Jun 2008
    Opinions vary.....as Sagecycles mention there are two schools...but I don't agree with his closing statement. I believe it all comes down to the type of terrain and style.

Some people need an active shock all the time with lockout capabilities for climbing....DT Nude users.

Some poeple are riding a Spark in terrains that could be done with a hardtail but need to take a little bit of the edge, this is the Fox people.

And then you have the gray area in between that it all comes down if you want to be playing with a little lever, adding weight to your setup (unless you use the DT XR Carbon) or adjusting your shock accordingly to the use (and forget about it) and in case of a downhill or nasty terrain just flick the lever to open.

My suggestion...if you have or are about to get a Spark test the ride, use the bike in various conditions and then decide. If you feel that in open or 70% the bike bobs too much you are ca candidate for a Fox RP23.

mtbr member
    agreed, jmart. different strokes. I own bikes with the rp23 (litespeed sewanee) and raced them cat1 and such. i still prefer the dt swiss nude setup. yes i dont like handlebar clutter and i am a severe weight weenie, but are certain things i will tolerate just because they work so well and the dt swiss nude is one of them. i like being able to limit travel and long rocky climbs, then flip the switch to full open to bomb down. in addition, i like how the trac-loc system actually changes the handling characteristics of the bike by adjusting the headtube angle at different positions. the angle is steep in the 2 inch mode and thus the bike steers tight and quick, great for twisty single track, then flip to full open 4.5 inch mode and the head tube angle slackens out for a more relaxed and stable ride at speed or on the steeps. this is accomplished by the rear shock adjusted the sag on the fly when you go from one mode to another. i am not sure why anyone would want to change all this. maybe just to save a little weight, but I do know if you would actually save any weight. has anyone actually weighed an appropriate length rp23, and the dt swiss nude with cable and switch for comparison? i am a firm believer in watching every gram that goes on a bike. heck my SCOTT SPARK LTD large weighs 20.3 lbs, but i also believe in function over form. so if the part in question functions better than the replacement part, i keep the part on the part on the bike. if the two parts function equally well, but one of them is lighter then I go with lighter component. caution spam ahead. btw, i have a super weight weenie spark 10 large in excellent condition coming in that will be for sale on the classifieds soon. spam over. the only complaint i have with the stock dt-swiss nude shock is we have seen a few come in wouldn't hold air anymore. dt-swiss has been very good about getting us a warranty replacement quickly, but still the bike downtime is disappointing for the customer, because once you own a spark, you really don't want to ride your backup bike anymore.

Weight Weenie Addict!
    Jun 2008
    The RP23 weight exactly 40 gram less than a Dt Nude...not including the cable and lever (+/- 20 grams?). But the weight weeenie options would be a DT Swiss XR Carbon which drops another 50 grams.

mtbr member
    well 50 grams is fairly easy to find elsewhere without sacrificing function, but 100 grams on a weight weenie bike is a bit more difficult, and something to consider if you lean in the direction that the platform technology alone is good enough. me, that would be one of the very last places I would look for weight savings.