mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Spark is Creaking?

Just got my Spark Elite the other day... seems the suspension joints creak. Sounds kind of like a bottom bracket creak, but Im pretty sure its coming from the forward most shock mount bolt. Any suggestions?
    Hammerheadbikes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Check all the bolts are properly torqued, also check bottom bracket, check headset is properly preloaded.

Genius
    My Genius started creaking about a month after I bought it. After a several minute search of stop and go's on the trail I eventually pulled the seat post out (cuz I was out of things to check) and then I found it had a build up of fine metal between the seat post clamp area and the seat post which was evidently allowing the post to move ever so slightly causing the creak. Wiping the fine metal away and tightening the clamp a bit and no more creaking. Hope this helps.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    My Genius started creaking about a month after I bought it. After a several minute search of stop and go's on the trail I eventually pulled the seat post out (cuz I was out of things to check) and then I found it had a build up of fine metal between the seat post clamp area and the seat post which was evidently allowing the post to move ever so slightly causing the creak. Wiping the fine metal away and tightening the clamp a bit and no more creaking. Hope this helps.
    Seems to be the most simple. I'll check that first (especially since I dont have a calibrated torque wrench around the house)
    Hammerheadbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well, update, not the seatpost. it's coming from the upper swing arm of the suspension...
    Hammerheadbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    heads up, it was the lower bolts on the shock mounted swing arm that were over torqued, and was causing a lot of grinding. I lubed and properly torqued. Much better. Hope this might help someone else too
    Hammerheadbikes.com