mtbr member

Spark BB Height Adjustment - Which do you prefer?

I'd like to hear from owners of Scott Spark, either 900 series or 700 series, about their experience with the BB height adjustment chip.

I test rode Scott Spark 700 at Sea Otter, fell in love with the sheer lightness and quickness of the bike, but had reservation about the skittishness of the bike on a rough and steep downhill stretch. Now I am looking closely at the picture of the demo bike that I took, it looks like the BB height adjustment was set as "High", or with the shock-mount bolt placed toward the rear of that oblong space.

I read a review from 2012 that talked about how 0.5 degree change in head angle made a pretty noticeable difference in the bike's handling. Is this true from your experience? If so, which way do you run and why? If you change from one setting to another, do you then also have to re-adjust fork and shock air pressure?

Any feedback is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I prefer the low setting, it changes handling between 2 positions. Felt the bike was more stable on low I have a 26" 2012 spark 40, with the dt Swiss shock the BB would hit so I kept it on high position majority of time..I got a new shock on order to replace the stock one and will be moving it back to low to give it a try.

I didn't really change the shock settings much other than refilling shock between off weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    @Bruiser: If you thought it was a bit too quick in the high position, the low will certainly slow things down a bit and be more stable, less twitchy. You wouldn't know for sure without trying it.

I ran this poll a while back, and it was pretty much a 50-50 split:

Scott Spark: Which BB Height do you run?

That said, apparently, there's a third chip that's right in between, in case you just can't decide between the two, but you have to get it directly from Scott, or a Scott dealer. You'd also have to make sure that it's compatible with whichever model / version / year you get.