Spark 29 Pro - numb hands

Printable View

• 04-18-2012
    RickyB
    Spark 29 Pro - numb hands
    Love the bike, absolutely flies over everything. But after 1 hour my hands are tingling, and my thumbs are feeling like I've pinched a nerve. I'm used to riding wide 30" bars for DH, and similar width bars on a snow bike all winter, but this setup has me shaking my wrists every time I stop.

Thoughts please?
  • 04-18-2012
    zombinate
    I assume you are wearing biking gloves, and I would try Ergon(omic) grips. They will stabilize your hands and alter the angle a bit. generally tingling is due to pinched nerve or restricted bloodlflow, so a minor hand position alteration is in order.
  • 04-19-2012
    RickyB
    I have a set of Ergons, so they're going on for this weekend. It was just odd to me that the tingling was immediate from day one, so I was curious if anyone else experienced that too. I may try a slight riser bar at some point too, see if I'm putting too much pressure on my hands.
  • 04-19-2012
    zombinate
    hopefully they work. Not uncommon that with a nerve or blood pinch that issues manifest themselves pretty quickly.
  • 04-20-2012
    rlucky82
    Nope mine did the same thing, coupled with some lower back pain. It only lasted a few rides as im now using a more aggressive riding position. Keeping my elbows high not sitting as much and I lowered my seat about half inch. The numbness is from supporting too much weight on your hands. (Where there ideally shouldn't be any weight resting on your hands. )
  • 04-25-2012
    lpeque
    It happened to me also, but got rid of it with a set of Ergons GP1 and some cheap Bell padded gloves. So far, I'm doing pretty good.
  • 04-28-2012
    osobny
    did you ever try to ROTATE bars in stem? you know, this "bar bend" of 5,6,9 or even 12deg makes miracles when bars installed correctly.
    People frequently make back bend from "towards arm" up-and-back bars. This is very important your bars bend this way so your wrists are in line with forearms...
  • 05-14-2012
    rlucky82
    a guy from my local bike shop flipped his stem upside down to get higher bars, this might help!?! And yes, rotating the bars can make a huge difference too.
  • 10-10-2012
    Sparky Scott
    Had the same issue.

The fix:

1) ergon grips
    2) 3 inch riser bar
    3) adjustable stem in its highest position

Tried these one at a time, until I felt better.

Now it's an absolute dream for me comfort-wise, although its not what you'd call an aero riding position!
  • 10-14-2012
    rupenta
    ..the setting of fork,is hard??
  • 10-14-2012
    zombinate
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky Scott View Post
    Had the same issue.

The fix:

1) ergon grips
    2) 3 inch riser bar
    3) adjustable stem in its highest position

Tried these one at a time, until I felt better.

Now it's an absolute dream for me comfort-wise, although its not what you'd call an aero riding position!

out of curiosity, how high above your seat are the handlebar grips now?
  • 10-15-2012
    weaverwins
    ergo grips suck.
    esi chunky grips help.
    sounds like something else though thats impacting more... pic of you on the bike in riding position? do you look like hunchback of ND?
  • 10-17-2012
    dpastore22
    Proper stem height and length. Wrong height and length will kill your hands, arms and back!
  • 10-26-2012
    Sparky Scott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    out of curiosity, how high above your seat are the handlebar grips now?

Just the 3 inch height of the riser bars - I use a lot of the seat post.
  • 10-26-2012
    DLd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky Scott View Post
    Just the 3 inch height of the riser bars - I use a lot of the seat post.

Wow, so your grips are about 3 inches above the height of your seat? How's it climbing like that? Cornering? You certainly shouldn't have any issues related to too much weight on your hands, that's for sure. If you still do (and even if you don't) have you checked that your seat is level? Angled down can put pressure on your hands. Angled up puts pressure on your nuts. Level is good.
  • 12-14-2012
    kustomz
    +1 dpastore22

Bike fit... make sure when you are just spinning on the flats that the bulk of your weight is on your sit bones and not your wrists. This would usually entail a shorter stem and more setback in your seat position.
  • 12-14-2012
    kustomz
    Also, check this episode of The Dirt on Mountain Bike Radio and you can learn a ton.
  • 12-16-2012
    trevrev97
    Yes because YOU don't like Ergon grips, "they suck" What a stupid comment. But yes a proper fit might be in order.

Quote:

Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    ergo grips suck.
    esi chunky grips help.
    sounds like something else though thats impacting more... pic of you on the bike in riding position? do you look like hunchback of ND?