mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Spark 29 Expert rebuild and QA.

Alright guys, so MTB season is over and I decided to further build my bike to my preferences.

I took my Spark to FATS in South Carolina/Georgia for a week. Rode 5 hours a day for 3 days straight. A few things came up that I would like to address, flexing in the front and rear. I called Scott and asked them about getting me the 142 rear chainstay. They're sending me the carbon RC chainstay, Sram is sending me new SID 15mm thru axle lowers for my fork. This will tremendously improve the flexing from front and rear.

So my chain stay doesn't arrive for another week and a half. If you guys have questions, or if you need weights etc etc, now is your time to ask before I begin my rebuild process.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    In the mean time I'll be riding this for training.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Started on the fork

mtbr member
    Why is your mtb season over in May? You rode FATS, so I'm assuming you're in the SE US. Great looking bike, BTW. I just ran into a guy at one of our local trail heads that was on his first ride with the exact same Spark and it's one great looking bike.

I'm a bit surprised that Scott doesn't spec through axle forks on any of their 29ers, including the high end RC. The 20mm maxle is a must have on a RS 29er fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The only thing I can think of is either cost, or to keep weight down. Im kind of leaning towards cost since the weight is very neglible. I was a little bummed out also when the expert didn't come with a sold rear axle, either way Scott is taking care of that for me in a few days when I get my RC carbon chainstay. It's gonna clash with the gloss black of my bike but I care about performance more.

Yes I live in the South East, South Florida to be exact. MTB season is over because it gets too damn hot down here. Our race season is in the Fall/Winter when its cooler.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    New crank arrived.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I put 12 miles on a foil team edition the other day = SWEET!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My headset came in, Scott called me to let me know my chainstays are on the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

XC racer
    May 2005
    I just received my Spark 29'er Pro yesterday, sight unseen. Long story but I'd been trying to get an RC since Interbike and #@$#^% Scott oversold their bikes again as usual so never got my order filled. Kind of surprised/disappointed in a couple of things and the alloy swingarm versus full carbon frame is one of them. Obviously from your pics it doesn't really make much weight difference but it's just kind of cheapo on Scott's part to do this.
    The other thing is the lack of thru axle on the fork. I've gotten really used to the idea from my 2011 Scale 29'er RC that came with a Fox thru-axle. At least I can see from your build that it can be fixed without having to change the whole fork if it bothers me too much.
    My first mod out of the box was installing the tubeless kits, won't get to do much else right away but finesse the suspension settings. My first ride will be at Oak Mountain SP in Birmingham Sunday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Looks awesome!

Can't wait to here how it rides with the stiffer from and rear.

How much did it cost to swap the fork and chainstay?