mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Spark 15 Headset Bearings

Anyone know where I can get them? The originals are getting a little rusty. I know I could buy a new headset but I don't see a reason when all I need it new bearings.

Thanks

mtbr member
    huh, that's funny, i was going to post the same question today. Spark 15, all of 3 months old, headseat bearings already went to crap. Now, i know why i spent all that money on the Chris King headset. I just got off the phone with Scott.

The customer service guy suggested these bearings from QBP, made by FSA, but wasn't exactly sure if that they would work..

[SIZE="4"] BB4628

160-6483 FSA Micro ACB White Seal 45x45 Stainless 1-1/8" FSA (Full Speed Ahead)
    [/SIZE]

The correct replacement headset is (word from Scott)

[SIZE="4"]33-247-983 Logic WCS Carbon Fiber 44mm I.D. 50mm O.D. Press-Fit ....MSRP $140 [/SIZE]

The Ritchey folks don't seem to want to answer the phone. And, the guy that's supposed to return emails is off to the BC bike race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Thanks!

It really should not be this tough. I will look for what you suggested. I can't believe it is this tough to find two simple bearings.

Alan

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Any Luck?

I haven't tried your connection and still am not having any luck through my shop. They want to sell me a complete headset.

Thanks

mtbr member
    this is the email that i just recieved from the Ritchey tech guy..

Sorry for the late reply but have been on a 7 day stage race and without email for a week or so. We do not stock replacement bearings. We sell only complete headsets so I don't have a part number for you. I think the only way to check is if the FSA part fits.

Best regards,
    Ritchey Info

----- Original Message -----
    To:
    Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 7:13 AM
    Subject: RE: Scott Spark Headset

Could you send me the part number for the replacement bearings?

They’re 41x30.2, 45 degrees X 45 degrees.

I believe the headset a

33-247-983
    Logic WCS Carbon Fiber 44mm I.D. 50mm O.D. Press-Fit

Thanks,

SO, I don't know what i'm going to do now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Product to Avoid

I ordered the one you mentioned and will let you know how it works. At least it is stainless and will last a while.

Looks like I have found another product to add to my "Products to Avoid" list. When will companies get it. Chris King has, Thompson has and Crank Brothers has. I would buy from these guys every time if I could. They are class companies with great products that they stand behind. I bet they are doing a good business too. What a concept.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Have you tried calling these people
    Enduro Seals and bearings

If they do not have what you need try these folks

IBSCO

they should be able to get you what you need if you know the dimensions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

No luck

I ordered the pink seal bearings and they were close but just a little too large. I guess the only option is a new headset and I assure you that the Ritchey will be bought only if there are no other choices. Maybe I will lucky and find a King that will work with some adaptors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Bearing Update

I took the headset apart again and took out the bearings. This time I popped the seal out and cleaned out the bearing completely. I got every speck of grease and dirt out of them. To my surprise they are stainless. There was no rust in the bearings at all. I cleaned them to the point that they spun completely free. I then cleaned them again with alcohol to get any degreaser residue out. I then air dried them with forced air. Next I repacked the bearings until fresh grease was forced through the bearings to the other side. I replaced the seal and reassembled. Better than new now.

The problem is the water, dirt and dust has no place to go except straight through the bearings. When you get them cleaned put a small film of waterproof grease over the bearing seals to keep debris out. Take the headset apart regularly to make sure it is all clean and it should last a while.

I am happy now. Mostly because I avoided the $150 that I was told I would have to spend to fix the problem.