Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    El Pollo Diablo
    First off, thanks so much for your continued input in this thread Buck, it's the one i keep coming back to as I plan my pie-in-the-sky Voltage build.

The different shock mounts, where might one go about sourcing a set?
    Ditto for the different dropouts, assuming they are not included with each 'type' of frame (10/20 vs 30 vs frame only)
    Last edited by SnowMongoose; 04-20-2010 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    shock mounts and dropouts - scott dealers can get them for you

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    hey ben, got a question

when you run the 200mm e2e with the 215 mounts, what kind of head angle do you wind up with (and what fork at the time)

just wondering, as I've got a DHX kicking around that I could mount up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Pitbull
    hey ben, got a question

when you run the 200mm e2e with the 215 mounts, what kind of head angle do you wind up with (and what fork at the time)

just wondering, as I've got a DHX kicking around that I could mount up
    With a 130mm fork that gives me a 66 head angle and 110mm of travel in the back. Lately I have been running a +2 eccentric headset putting the head angle at 68 for the jumps. It works nice as a 110mm travel bike like that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by buckoW
    With a 130mm fork that gives me a 66 head angle and 110mm of travel in the back. Lately I have been running a +2 eccentric headset putting the head angle at 68 for the jumps. It works nice as a 110mm travel bike like that.
    given that I only have the VAN 36, that would leave me a little on the slack side of things

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Pitbull
    given that I only have the VAN 36, that would leave me a little on the slack side of things
    It is fun for mini dh like that and is very slack. I have a bigger travel one with a Van 36 where I set it up low and slack but with 160mm front and 150mm back. But that is with the 222mm mounts and the 215mm shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I got my FR20 yesterday, went riding and I love it! the only minor problem I have, so to speak, is the bolt up rear end (as I had to remove my rear wheel to get it into a friend's car). I am thinking of going down the rear maxle route. Could anyone give me a rough idea of how much the maxle drop outs would cost me? Thanks, Ryan.

El Pollo Diablo
    Even if you were dealing with horizontal dropouts -which you aren't- it's not that big a hassle to undo a bolt-on rear wheel.
    Maxle it if you feel the need to drop some cash, I guess.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just think maybe un-doing the rear end may increase the chances of rounding the axle bolts off. Having a maxle would make things a whole lot easier. I just want to know roughly how much the specific drop outs are really. Maybe Ben would know?..

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    if you round out those bolts, then you shouldnt handle allen keys. Pretty good system IMO

however, I've now gone through both tubes Front was killed 2nd ride, pinch flatted, and not sure about the rear, but it is likey from glass. (4th ride)

however, the above was done with single ply betties on, not the DH ones

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_ransom
    I got my FR20 yesterday, went riding and I love it! the only minor problem I have, so to speak, is the bolt up rear end (as I had to remove my rear wheel to get it into a friend's car). I am thinking of going down the rear maxle route. Could anyone give me a rough idea of how much the maxle drop outs would cost me? Thanks, Ryan.
    Yes I have found the axle to be very tight in the Formula rear hub. I tried the axle in the 12mm Hope Pro II conversion kit (yet to be swapped with qr axle that is in this my Pro II hub hub) and it slides in and out very smoothly. Have to use a mallet to remove the axle from the formula hub. Is this right? Was also considering the maxle for this reason.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

I ran the Maxle system for a while but my axle kept coming loose on trails with a lot of cornering. No matter how much I tightened it, it always came loose after 3 or more runs. I don't know how much they cost because I don't like them very much.

sjsielen: The tight axle is not normal. I will ask.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Short or Long

Hey, got a few problems in picking up the size of the voltage fr bike. I`m 5.90(180cm) and weigh about 180pounds (83-85kg). Until now i`ve only been playing around with my hardtail which was a medium, pretty fun. Thing is i intend to use this one for DH and fr,maybe going for a 200mm fork later, so i`m pretty unsure about picking the small one. Any advices would come in handy.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    You'll have to change springs if you change the travel on any bike using the same shock. The reason the travel changes is that the leverage ratio changes. Changing the leverage ratio means you need to change springs.

Hey guys. I know this may come a little too late. But I was reading through the posts and has anyone actually changed the travel settings without changing/switching springs?

e.g. Change from 170mm to 150mm without changing springs.

And If I want shorter travel, could I just use an air shock to save money on buying additional springs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayng
    Hey guys. I know this may come a little too late. But I was reading through the posts and has anyone actually changed the travel settings without changing/switching springs?

e.g. Change from 170mm to 150mm without changing springs.

And If I want shorter travel, could I just use an air shock to save money on buying additional springs?
    I use an air shock pretty often with the Voltage FR and it works very well. You can change travel with out changing springs and the lesser travel hole will give you firmer travel with the same spring. It works well for jumping when the suspension is stiffer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    BuckoW, Thanks for the information.

Anyone happen to know if Scott will be releasing a 2011 version for the Voltage FR?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi,
    I have the same problem with rear axle. Need a mallet to extract it from the hub.
    A bit heavy in the camelback...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jayng
    BuckoW, Thanks for the information.

Anyone happen to know if Scott will be releasing a 2011 version for the Voltage FR?

yes they will

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Which shock upgrade for FR30

Hey guys,
    just changed over to an FR30 from a Commencal Supreme DH as I needed a more all round bike.
    I originally looked at an SX trail, Bullitt or Wildcard, I hand never seen or even heard of the Voltage FR.
    luckily I went to a shop I don't normally use and saw the FR30, a quick ride later and I was sold. The bike rides great and fits everything I was looking for and at a great price.
    So far I have swapped out the bars to a spare pair of Sunline V1's I had and changed the pedals to some Wellgo MG1's (dirt cheap, will see how they hold up, so far they have been great).
    I have also fitted the Mo-Co cartridge to the Domains, really suprised how good these forks feel when they have broken in (I was always a zocchi fan).
    My only area of concern is the stock Roco, I have had one of these in the past and changed it quickly due to it constantly leaking. I also find it blows through its travel quickly even after changing the spring to 450lb (I think adjustable compression is the only way forward).

What Coil Shock is best suited to the Voltage for all round riding?
    I have spent considerable time on the following:-
    DHX5 on a Cove G-Spot
    Pushed DHX 5 on a Cove G-Spot (far superior to stock but exspensive).
    Rock Shox Vivid on a Commencal Supreme DH (almost as good as the Pushed DHX).

I have never ridden a Manitou shock but I see Revox's cheap all the time.
    I have looked at a Pushed Van R as a cheapish upgrade (TFTuned rate these very highly as fit and forget shocks)

Any unbiased advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Does anybody know where I can get a FR 30 in Socal? Or even a place that can ship it here. Thanks...

Never mind, found one.
    Last edited by SlickShoe671; 06-06-2010 at 12:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by casca noir
    Hey guys,
    just changed over to an FR30 from a Commencal Supreme DH as I needed a more all round bike.
    I originally looked at an SX trail, Bullitt or Wildcard, I hand never seen or even heard of the Voltage FR.
    luckily I went to a shop I don't normally use and saw the FR30, a quick ride later and I was sold. The bike rides great and fits everything I was looking for and at a great price.
    So far I have swapped out the bars to a spare pair of Sunline V1's I had and changed the pedals to some Wellgo MG1's (dirt cheap, will see how they hold up, so far they have been great).
    I have also fitted the Mo-Co cartridge to the Domains, really suprised how good these forks feel when they have broken in (I was always a zocchi fan).
    My only area of concern is the stock Roco, I have had one of these in the past and changed it quickly due to it constantly leaking. I also find it blows through its travel quickly even after changing the spring to 450lb (I think adjustable compression is the only way forward).

What Coil Shock is best suited to the Voltage for all round riding?
    I have spent considerable time on the following:-
    DHX5 on a Cove G-Spot
    Pushed DHX 5 on a Cove G-Spot (far superior to stock but exspensive).
    Rock Shox Vivid on a Commencal Supreme DH (almost as good as the Pushed DHX).

I have never ridden a Manitou shock but I see Revox's cheap all the time.
    I have looked at a Pushed Van R as a cheapish upgrade (TFTuned rate these very highly as fit and forget shocks)

Any unbiased advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

The bike was designed around an RC4.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm riding a M size 2008 Santa Cruz Nomad (70mm stem). And I was wondering which size of the Voltage would better fit me. The S or the L.

My LBS only has the S size in stock and If need be, they will order the L in. But that means I HAVE to buy it even before trying it out. I did try out the S, feel kinda comfortable. Hands are not cramped, but I just tried the voltage for only 2 minutes or so. And maybe because I like the bike so much, I fear it might have clouded my judgment.

1. I'm about 5' 10". Has anyone here rode a M size Santa Cruz and switched to the Voltage FR? If so, What size did you get. the LBS says that L are for 6-footers.

2. What is the lowest travel for fork options? 140mm? 100mm?

3. Can the Voltage take a Boxxer up front with only 170mm travel in the rear? I'm getting the FR30 and don't intend to swap the shocks just yet.
    Last edited by jayng; 06-08-2010 at 11:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Also, would Deity Vendetta cranks be weird on this bike?

mtbr member
    You could run all of those parts and it would work well. I have ran my fork at 100mm but prefer 130mm with 135mm in the back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    also jay, I'm 5'10", and ride a size long, but it is first and formost my downhill/lift access bike, so I wasnt worried as much about dirt jumping it

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast