Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Is it possible to install front derailleur like Shimano SLX Conventional M667 ( http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=27692 ) to this frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey Ben,

useful info here for plenty of hopeful converts over to the Voltage FR.

Our Voltage FR framesets are on their way to us and I have to order in with Fox.

We're going to set the FR 10's up with 2 options.. Whistler DH and Squamish FR.
    Figure on a 40 and DHX coil for DH and stick with the frameset supplied RP23 for FR days... the question is, for the FR setup fork.. 36 Float or Vanilla?

I'm almost thinking the frame suits 3 options:
    40/DHX
    36 Van/DHX air
    36 Float/RP23

Ultimately, I'll end up with a Spark (race only) and a Genius (trail/training) and give up the ransom carbon.. so what are your thoughts on which 2 fork/shock combos would be best? to cover all bases?

Thanks

Jonny - Bear Back Biking

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Gamber vs Voltage FR??

Hi Ben and anyone else who can help,

I'm considering buying the Scott Voltage FR 20, and sticking some Boxxer Teams on it.
    I want to do predominently DH riding, but on the odd few days I may want to try some SS. I have an 07 Ransom 30 so I could just swap the Fox Van 36's onto it for that.

I'm in a predicament because I will be using it for DH most of the time.

Do you think I will be better off with a Gambler? I was put off a little bit by the Gambler because of its monsterous weight which was another plus for the lighter Voltage.

What should I do? I need to more info to weigh up the pros and cons of each.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I rode a few laps on a FR10 in Whistler last year when it was up for crankworx. I rode the bike on the more techy trails on the park and it was pretty fun. I enjoyed the weight bonus over the Gambler and found was still nice and plush and felt solid.
    I only ride 15 days a season on the bike park so weight/durability isn't a big issue for me. Our guides ride 90+ hard days so they're sticking on the Gamblers whereas some guides who are 'lighter' on their bikes will be on Voltage FR's.
    For my riding, the Voltage FR makes sense as its so much more versatile.. like you say, chuck van on for SS, boxxers for DH.

I've opted for 40's/RC4 for DH days, 36float/RP23 for shuttle days.

Gambler's still a great DH bike though and I challenge you to break anything on it. Our guides who were riding 90+ days each had zero failures all season - and that's Whistler bike park riding!

Roll on Spring Time!
    Bearback - what travel setting you running out back when using the RP23/Foat setup? How much sag do you run?
    I am seriously looking to change my Wildcard for a Voltage FR as my Wildcard is a touch too small for all round usage. I figured I may as well try the Voltage than get the Wildcard in Large. I generaly run the Wildcard only in 5" rear setting fitted with a DHX air and a
    36RC2 up front. Currently I am only using the bike for riding my yard which has a small pump track, couple DJs and some slope style stuff. The 5" is sufficient for sure but I would prefer a coil shock and the option to switch to 6.5" setting which would also allow me to ride rougher trails and handle that crappy midstoke issue that plagues the DHX. Again I dont want to spend the dough on a shock when I am thinking about changing the frame. I would like to try the WIldcard in large with a coil shock to see how it feels on rougher ground and just to be fair to the bike since I really like everything about it otherwise. Scott seems to have nailed it with the Voltage but I am curious for ride reviews on how it feels with RP23/36 setup for rougher lines? I know it will be ace on jumps drops and through corners but I am interested to hear how much more plush it may be than the Wildcard so I know if it will be more versatile. I have heard great things about the Rp23 over the DHX air so thats a plus. Currently I have a Maelstrom for freeride and DH after giving up on trying to pedal 180mm of travel and 41lbs of weight and trying to do AM rides on it. The hardtail has now been given to AM rides but I am looking to use the Voltage for AM rides that have gnarly downs and I actualy see myself down sizing to the hardtail with something like the Voltage and that means the Voltage will have to cover freeride and mellow DH runs. I love the versatility of travel and fork options but I really enjoy 160mm up front with 125-160mm out back with a around 36lbs of weight, thats when I seem to have the most fun.
    I am looking at the FR frame so I get the spare shock mount and 0mm/-10mm dropouts. If I move to a location that has gnarly DH I will fit an appropriate fork and rear shock to suit, hence the investment in this multipurpose bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearback
    Hey Ben,

useful info here for plenty of hopeful converts over to the Voltage FR.

Our Voltage FR framesets are on their way to us and I have to order in with Fox.

We're going to set the FR 10's up with 2 options.. Whistler DH and Squamish FR.
    Figure on a 40 and DHX coil for DH and stick with the frameset supplied RP23 for FR days... the question is, for the FR setup fork.. 36 Float or Vanilla?

I'm almost thinking the frame suits 3 options:
    40/DHX
    36 Van/DHX air
    36 Float/RP23

Ultimately, I'll end up with a Spark (race only) and a Genius (trail/training) and give up the ransom carbon.. so what are your thoughts on which 2 fork/shock combos would be best? to cover all bases?

Thanks

Jonny - Bear Back Biking
    Hey Jonny

40 Setup:
    I like to run the 240mm or the 222mm i2i RC4 with the 240 mounts with a 40. The 222mm i2i in the 240 mounts drops the bb to around 330mm and a 64 head angle. That is sometimes too low but sometimes super fun.

36 Van Setup:
    I like to run the 36 Van with a 240 or 222mm i2i in the 240 mounts. Same as before but sometimes it is too low for really rocky trails. Other times it is a very fast and fun setup.

36 Talas or Float Setup:
    I run the 215mm i2i RP23 with 135 or 150mm of rear travel and the fork at either 130mm or 160mm. The new boost Valve RP23 is surprisingly capable and was custom tuned for the bike. You can still really pin it with this setup. I also run a 200mm i2i DHX air to drop the bb for a very mini dh bike.

There are lots of sweet riding setups. Let me know if you have any more questions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyries Ride
    Hi Ben and anyone else who can help,

I'm considering buying the Scott Voltage FR 20, and sticking some Boxxer Teams on it.
    I want to do predominently DH riding, but on the odd few days I may want to try some SS. I have an 07 Ransom 30 so I could just swap the Fox Van 36's onto it for that.

I'm in a predicament because I will be using it for DH most of the time.

Do you think I will be better off with a Gambler? I was put off a little bit by the Gambler because of its monsterous weight which was another plus for the lighter Voltage.

What should I do? I need to more info to weigh up the pros and cons of each.
    I ride a lot of bike park and my Gambler is the work horse and I know I can really lay into corners and G-outs. I also never had a problems with my Voltage FR when hard downhilling but if I want to get really loose and hit rough stuff flat out then I choose the Gambler. I can still ride the Voltage FR fast but on stuff like the Champery WC DH track the Gambler is in it's element and with the Voltage I have to pick smoother lines.

I have my Gambler at just under 40 lbs. The frame is really stiff and was designed to get ridden hard all summer long in a bike park. It really depends on what you do and how you do it. For me the two bikes are complimentary and when I want to hit lots of jumps and singkletrack then I take the Voltage and when things get rough and you really have to nail your line then the Gambler is my bike of choice.

It is hard for me to recommend which one because I don't know your trails. If they are fast and drifty with not too many rock gardens the the Voltage works great. If the trail obstacles start to get axle high then the Gambler lets you take some rowdier lines.

pure DH = Gambler

almost everything else = Voltage FR

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Ben, I see you are running Stylo cranks on some of your bikes - the Voltage and Voltage FR. I run this crankset on all of my bikes. I used to use the ISIS version - now I use the GXP and have been very happy with this setup. The bb cups require little to no maintenance and overall seems to be a good balance between strength and weight. I was happy to see the Voltage FR has a 73mm shell and 135 rear axel so that I could still use this crankset. In looking at the photos of the Howitzer XR bb that the FR 20 comes with, I see the cups appear to be wider than GXP cups. Will I just have to compensate for this with spacers on the GXP setup? If so, how many on each side? Obviously chainline is important, so I do not want to throw that off. Dont have my FR 20 yet - its on order though, so would like to have the parts ready that I may swap. Which will probably just be the crank and tires for starters. Will hang on to the tires for more dh stuff, though probably will throw some lighter fr tires on.

mtbr member
    The howitzer bb has it's own axle and is not compatible with the Stylos. You need the Stylo specific bb. When is your bike supposed to come?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by buckoW
    The howitzer bb has it's own axle and is not compatible with the Stylos. You need the Stylo specific bb. When is your bike supposed to come?
    I understand that much, I guess I am wondering if I use the Stylo and its specific bb (the GXP bb), do I need to use spacers to get the chainline correct?

Bike is estimated to be delivered on the 19th of this month - cant wait - tho recovering from a broken metacarpal in my left hand so cant ride for at least another week or 2 anyways.

mtbr member
    I just mounted it up with the recommended setup and didn't notice any issues. I try and not run too many spacers if I can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just mounted it up with the recommended setup and didn't notice any issues. I try and not run too many spacers if I can.
    Cool, thats what I was hoping - yea as far as spacers, I feel the same way.

Thanks for the quick responses once again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    anyone know if this frame uses an a-tune or a b-tune rear shock? i doubt its c-tune.. my guess is a-

figure you might know ben.. and is that even something to worry about if swapping rear shocks?
    Last edited by sjsielen; 02-11-2010 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    CC chatting about their bikes here

http://nsmb.com/3526-coastal-crew-bike-check/

Good examples of the short travel setup - mental to have a frame you can run with a 130 revelation one day then a fox 40 the next - mint

mtbr member
    here is another video of the Voltage in action. Norby and Semenuk are shredding!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/coastal...sode-2010.html

sjsielen,

You would need the tune for the very low leverage ratio. I think it is the A but I don't remember.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I have been narrowing my decisions for the past 2 months. Finaly settle on the Voltage and spent the whole day on the phone only to find out there are no frames available in all of Europe. Anyone know a dealer who would ship international - South Korea?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

sjsielen,

You would need the tune for the very low leverage ratio. I think it is the A but I don't remember.
    Thanks, thats what I thought, though there doesnt seem to be much mention of tuning of shocks when i see them listed for retail - only do i notice it when I see someone selling a shock that they pulled off a bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Posting this for a non member friend.

My current bike is too small/not enough travel, so I'm looking to get a new bike for the summer...

Something that I'm very interested in at the moment is a Scott voltage in long - but an idea I've seen that looked very nice is running it with triples?

The Geo works out at a 65deg headangle and 14.4" BB with 180mm singles, I believe the axle to crown on 180mm singles and 200mm triples is practically identical? So the Geo won't be a problem, but will there be any other problems with running triple crowns?

At the moment, I'm mainly riding downhill, but nothing particularly rough, (although, I may be heading out to Morzine for a week in the summer) - what benefits, if any, would I get from getting a DH bike over the voltage?

If anyone has any experience riding the voltage, or any other suggestions for under around 1500 new or 1000 used, that'd also be a great help.

He currently rides a Norco XXXX and he's looking at the Voltage for the travel versatility, and basically wants to know if there are alternatives. Or should he go with his gut feeling and get the Scott.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey Jonny
    There are lots of sweet riding setups. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Hey Ben,

Got our stuff through from Fox today, DHXRC4's for the Voltage FR frames and we'd also ordered an RP23 and an DHX Air (+rp23 air sleeve kit) for our guide Ransoms. The DHX was miss shipped and we got a 8.75 as opposed to a 9.5 i2i... what are your thoughts on running a 222mm i2i on the Voltage rather than the oem RP23?

Or, better off sticking with RP23 and DHX coil for Voltage and swapping the DHX air for the right size to fit the ransom?

Cheers - I only ask as I'm sure you've tried almost every frame shock set-up

mtbr member
    I like the 222mm i2i a lot because I can ride the 222 mounts and carry the 240 mounts in my pack and have a high or low bb setup depending on terrain. I usually do this when I run a tall fork like the 40. I run the 222mm i2i DHX air shock a lot actually. It works very well with a Talas so you can run long or short travel with a high or low bb.

The RC4 in a 240mm i2i gives you a better quality of travel and have a little more ramp up at end stroke. I like both the 240mm and 222mm. It is hard to say without knowing what fork you want to run.

The 215 i2i shock with the 215 mounts is more of a rising linear type suspension so it works well for all mountain/freeride and when you put a lot of pressure in the shock it works very well for jumps and slopestyle.

I like the DHX air more for the Ransom than the RP23 because you have more places to make it ramp up. The Ransom's linkage was designed for a very progressive air shock and the DHX air is easily tuneable to get more progression.

Hope that helps.

Hey, that's recyclable!
    Apr 2007
    Anyone tried a Hammerschmidt on the Voltage FR yet? It's a smaller ring than the bike was designed around so how bad is the feedback?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olga_icannot
    Anyone tried a Hammerschmidt on the Voltage FR yet? It's a smaller ring than the bike was designed around so how bad is the feedback?
    I have ridden a test bike with one and the feedback is not bad at all. The pivot was designed around a 34T chainring so it is not too high and pedals pretty well with a Hammerschmidt. I ordered one and am looking forward to mounting it up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    bucko - I installed a stylo crankset as you have, though did not ride at all with it, as the left crank arm was barely 2-3mm away from the left chainstay. what is your experience with this? i know you said you dont run any spacers, which placing one on the non-drive side, is only going to bring drive side crank arm closer to the chain stay.

mtbr member
    new voltageFR is sick bike.
    And what is the retail price of frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsielen
    bucko - I installed a stylo crankset as you have, though did not ride at all with it, as the left crank arm was barely 2-3mm away from the left chainstay. what is your experience with this? i know you said you dont run any spacers, which placing one on the non-drive side, is only going to bring drive side crank arm closer to the chain stay.
    Hmmm, sounds weird. I have one spacer on the drive side and my Stylo OCT crank arms clear the chain stays fine. There is around 4mm on both sides from the thickest part of the chain stays.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast