Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Hey Sam

I would get the 20. They are close enough in price but big difference in performance. You get the 240mm i2i Van with the 20 as well. You are right about the E13 guide on the 30 and sizing is really up to you. I think you would be fine on the small but if you want it to be stable on the DH type stuff then go for the long. You can run the shorter rear dropouts if the bike is feeling slow to lift the front wheel. The Coastal Crew guys and James Doerfling are all on shorts and they ride them pretty hard. It depends if you want a very trickable slope bike of a DH worthy trail machine. It is more about what you want to ride then how tall you are.

Ben

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks Ben for such a quick response! Makes sense to go with the 20 - price really is pretty close and less upgrades that I would want to do out of the box. The extra travel and better shock alone are worth it. Still have to think about the sizing. Before I discovered this bike, I we considering either a Santa Cruz Bullit or KHS Lucky 7 (both in medium), though really like the adjustability of the Voltage FR more plus the lower standover and just the overall design seems more suited to my riding style. I have been working on larger drops and bigger doubles and have starting throwing in some basic tricks - tabletops, x-ups, and tailwhips, though am not at the point of doing flips or spins yet. So not quite riding true big mountain slopestyle, though would be riding a fair amount of lift-accessed dh runs. Thinking the long is the way to go, as when I am focusing more on tricks and jumps, I have my hardtail. I am guessing the FR 20 does not come with the extra drop-outs? Are these available yet? Don't see any info anywhere about it.

Thanks again for all of your help.

mtbr member
    No problem.

You have to order the dropouts from a Scott Dealer. They have catalogs which are not available for consumers with all the little parts and accessories. You want the -10mm dropouts if you go with the long to keep it very flickable. I am 6'1" and run the long with medium dropouts for trails and dh runs and a short with short dropouts for jumping and playing around.

Here is some more info on the bike

http://scott-sports.com/gb_en/video/...the_voltage_fr

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Found out there is a Scott dealer not too far from where I live here in Brooklyn - will pay them a visit soon. Maybe they have the bike in their shop that I could try to help me decide between the two sizes.

Watched that video the other day - found it helpful, thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Didn't get to visit the Scott dealer in Brooklyn yet, but after talking with some friends, sounds like they only stock road bikes. When I recover from this swine flu, I may check out this place in Manhattan that is supposed to be a Scott dealer, even though they aren't listed on Scott's dealer locator. Been doing some comparisons of the wheelbase of the long and short versus the wheelbase of other bikes I have been looking at.

the voltage fr has a wheelbase of 44.7" (1135mm) for the short with a 180mm fork or 45.5" (1155mm) for the long with a 180mm fork. with the 160mm fork its just .2" (4mm) shorter for both sizes.

the santa cruz bullit with a 560 a2c fork (approx 180mm fork) has a 43.2" wheelbase in the medium and a 44.5" for the large.

the sc chameleon (one of my current rides) has a 43.4" wb in large with a 140mm fork, which is what I have been riding at diablo and have found it to be stable imo.

granted these are all very different bikes, i am just trying to grasp the difference between the long and short compared to what i am used to.

i am sure my rocky mtn dj bike has a way shorter wb, especially with the rear wheel slammed at a 15.9" cs length and a 100mm fork. so guess i am kind of used to a short, flickable bike - never owned a true dh rig, though have ridden some of my friends such as a norco a-line and sc super 8, which just felt like a whole different world to me.

so guess what i am saying is that i am pretty set on the short. watched some videos of Doerfling riding some pretty gnarly trails with some steep dh sections on his short voltage fr, and am feeling more confident with the my decision. have a few weeks before i make the purchase, though cannot wait - been excited to get a dually for a while now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi sjsielen, I'm also thinking about the Voltage FR. I finally got to my local Scott dealer yesterday here in Lake Placid. They don't stock the bike and as of now will only do a special order. So much for seeing the bike. There is another dealer about 45 miles away so I'll give them a call. I'm 5'10" and was leaning towards the short. I also ride Diablo and wanted something more flickable then my current DH bike which is a Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho. The bike actually handles the DH at Whiteface pretty well for my needs but at Diablo it feels a little heavy and has no pop off the jumps. I'm sure its more me than the bike though. The wb on my med. Kumicho is about the same as the long Voltage which is why I was leaning towards the short. Still not sure if I can swing the cost of the Voltage right now. I intended to sell my XC bike to pay for the Scott, but I'm thinking of keeping the XC now. I also have an Eastern Thunderbird DJ bike which I have to try at Diablo - it should be fun on Dominion and the 1X course. Keep the posts coming - I'd like to know what you wind up with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    hey ragman, been researching various bikes for the past couple of months, and the voltage fr seems to make the most sense to me. theres a lot of useful info on this thread as well:

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listco...521&pagenum=32

buckoW or Ben, helped develop this bike with Scott and seems to know a lot about it. He has been really helpful, and if there are any questions that others cannot answer, I am sure he will be able to.

Was just up in Lake Placid and the Adirondacks in November doing some hiking with my girlfriend. Climbed mount snow and got about 4700 feet up mount marcy when we decided not to go any further as every surface was covered in ice. the views were amazing! theres a lot of potential for some serious dh courses and freeriding up there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    BuckoW has already answered several of my questions - was very helpful. I also follow Pinkbike and found alot of info on the Voltage there. I really think the Voltage would be an ideal bike for Diablo - don't know if you saw the write-up in Decline but you should check it out if not.

I do the same thing when hiking the mountains here - I'm always thinking how sweet it would be to ride down. But the good thing is we have Whiteface Mtn. that has a Gondola to the top - no hike a bike. By the way, most mtns are off limits to bikes, pedal or motorized. There are also some great XC trails and a new dirt jump park so you need to get back here during bike season. I know I'm getting off topic here but check out www.downhillmike.com for info on riding Whiteface.

Even more off topic: I also have a house on L.I. and just started going to Diablo last fall and loved it. Different than Whiteface but both are great. Diablo opens a lot earlier than Whiteface so I'll be there in May - can't wait!

mtbr member
    Hey Guys

When thinking about wheelbases don't forget that you have 3 different chainstay lengths with the 12mm IDS dropouts. You can go a cm shorter or longer to suit your riding styles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Will have to look for that issue of Decline, thanks for informing me about that.

One of my friends here has talked about Whiteface, so hoping to make some trips up there this coming season. New to the east coast, so still learning a lot about places to ride. Come from the midwest, where its so flat, so everything was all about XC. Used to race xc for a couple years, though always had a passion for freeriding. Did some crazy stuff on superlight xc machines.

Anyways, I am also anxious to get back to Diablo, especially since i will have a dually by then.

Oh and of course I wouldn't think of riding in those places where i was hiking, just thought the terrain would be suited for it - would really be a pain doing the hike a bike thing anyways. Look forward to this season and thanks for all the tips!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Good point about the IDS droputs, plan to pickup both longer and shorter ones once I have the bike. Also just did some so research on the Hope Pro II hubs that I used when building my wheels. Turns out they have a conversion kit to go from 135 9mm qr to 135 12mm thru axel. Have the kits for my front hubs, just hadnt previously seen the ones for the rear. Excited that I'll be able to have some extra wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey buckoW,

Sorry for the question but I haven't seen the answer anywhere. I plan to get the Voltage FR frame kit and mount a Rock Shox Pike on it at first. Could you please tell me what would be the head angle when the rear suspension is set to 135 mm and when it is set to 150 mm please ?

Many thanks in advance.
    Scott and you did a great job on this bike

mtbr member
    Hey RayFoon

No problem. The head angle doesn't change between the 2 travel options and with a Pike it is around 67.

Don't worry about asking questions about the Voltage. I don't mind answering them.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Buckow - I am pretty much sold on replacing my Wildcard with the Voltage. With the Wildcard I would need to change springs when changing travel settings using the same shock. Is this the same on the Voltage? What sag do you recommend for the Voltage using it mostly slope/shore style riding on moderatley groomed trails. This will be my initial setup since I have the more vertical and rougher trails covered. I would like to run it in 135/150mm travel but I believe the frame will come with the longer shock which means I will probably have to run it in 160mm till I sort a sorter shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    Buckow - I am pretty much sold on replacing my Wildcard with the Voltage. With the Wildcard I would need to change springs when changing travel settings using the same shock. Is this the same on the Voltage? What sag do you recommend for the Voltage using it mostly slope/shore style riding on moderatley groomed trails. This will be my initial setup since I have the more vertical and rougher trails covered. I would like to run it in 135/150mm travel but I believe the frame will come with the longer shock which means I will probably have to run it in 160mm till I sort a sorter shock.
    You'll have to change springs if you change the travel on any bike using the same shock. The reason the travel changes is that the leverage ratio changes. Changing the leverage ratio means you need to change springs.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Cheers, HAB. I havent seen any info on changing springs.

I see the frame I am looking at in the UK comes with RP23 and is the short travel option with 0mm drop outs, -10mm dropouts and long shock mount. So its pretty much ideal for my initial setup plans and WIldcard replacement. The weight seems high on their site with listed 9.4lbs without shock.

Can anyone confirm the frame weight with/without shock? If you list weight with shock let me know if its air or coil. I would like this build to be competitive with my Wildcard which comes in at 35/36lbs with DHX5 air, 36RC2 and standar kit.

mtbr member
    Hey Juan Pablo

The frame is 7.48 lbs or 3.4 kilos without shock. The frame only comes with a RP23 boost valve custom tuned for the frame.

When I run the coil shock I have the spring rate set up for traction on dh stuff at 180mm of travel. Then when I change travel settings to 160 mm it is usually for jumping so the stiffer feeling spring rate works better for popping off jumps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by buckoW
    Hey Juan Pablo

The frame is 7.48 lbs or 3.4 kilos without shock. The frame only comes with a RP23 boost valve custom tuned for the frame.

When I run the coil shock I have the spring rate set up for traction on dh stuff at 180mm of travel. Then when I change travel settings to 160 mm it is usually for jumping so the stiffer feeling spring rate works better for popping off jumps.

what sag are you running @ 180 for dh stuff?

mtbr member
    It depends. 30% ish. I also run a 222mm i2i shock with the 240 mounts and a lot of compression. It depends on where I am riding. Some trails are steep and drifty and others have loads of technical rock sections.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    First Voltage Fr's showed up at the shop, 2 FR 30's, a short and a long

I wish February would hurry up so I can build my 10

mtbr member
    ..any news ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey guys, I'm really interested in this bike, and I'm gonna switch the frame for my Uzzi vpx frame. But I was wondering if it's at all possible to make the travel longer on the voltage? Or is 180 the largest it gets.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    its 180 max travel

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding
    I believe the frameset is the only 1 that comes w/all the different shock mounts.. completes don't.. not sure on the pricing, but here's the shock lengths..

FR10/FR20: 9.5 x 3.0
    FR30: 8.75 x 2.75
    Frame Only: 8.5 x 2.5
    where did you find out the stroke lengths of the shocks? maybe I missed it.

not that i doubt you, just wondering, thanks

mtbr member
    He is right about the shock lengths. Good question as to where the Captain got that info. I tried to find a link but I guess it is not mentioned on the website.

Anyways, here is another pic of me on the Voltage FR on a trail I built in Morgins, Switzerland.

Here is another one in a park I built in Monte Tamaro, Switzerland.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast