Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman
    Thanks for the info. I'll make it to my local Scott dealer this week to find out more. Need to sell my XC bike before bringing another bike home or the wife will go nuts. Only rode the XC 3 times this year so I think it should go. Kyle Ebbett just built a dirt jump park 2 miles from my house in Wilmington, N.Y. so the XC bike will get even less use if thats possible. Time to put biking on hold and get set for snowboarding at Whiteface
    Let me know if you have anymore questions about the bike and tell Kyle that Ben in Switzerland says hi if you see him.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Actually, I did have another question.....I thought you would know better than my dealer since you've ridden the Voltage FR. At 5'10" would you recommend the short or long frame. I'm leaning towards the short because I think it would be more flickable (is that a word) but I don't want to be cramped. Thanks for all your help! By the way, Kyle was supposed to be here last weekend to give some jump demo/lessons. Not sure if he was here or not, I was at Diablo for closing weekend. Kyle is supposed to be back for the official opening of the dirt jump park next spring. Next time you're stateside you should come up to the Lake Placid/Wilmington area of NY. With sick downhill at Whiteface, the new DJ park and lots of XC trails this is becoming a great destination area for MTBers. Heck, for 2010 we even have a World Cup DH a few hours south of us at Windham and the World Championship is in Canada just a couple hours north of us. This is the place to be

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ragman - I'm 5'10", and have ordered a long. I found the short gambler far too small for my liking, and the long voltage fr has the same lengths as the long gambler

from what I've seen and heard, teh small is more for dj stuff, and the longer more towards fr and dh stuff, but this does come down to personal tastes as well

mtbr member
    I think 5'10" could go either way. If you plan on running a taller fork then the TT will feel shorter. Do you want room to move when you are pinning or do you want the most pop and easy manuals? At 6'1" I like the long for trails and the short for jumps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well I guess I need to decide exactly what it is I'm looking for. I'm on my way to my local dealer to see if they intend to get the Voltage FR to put on their floor. I'm in no hurry at this point - its snowing right now and its kind of hard to think bikes - but I'll try! Thanks to everyone for all the info.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just so you guys know, these bikes are not readily available until march of 2010. If anyone is looking to try a voltage out in the Tahoe/Reno area Cylepaths will have a few available for demo at Northstar. The shop will be moving to a new location in downtown Truckee in the Tahoe Daves store location in April 2010.

dontcha?
    Picked up mine last friday, posted some of my thoughts over @ PB, figured I'd pass along the good word..

I got a Long FR30.. Honestly, pictures don't do it justice, it is the brightest green I think I've ever seen in my life. I'm not complaining, I dig it, but for any of those considering getting the FR30 and are hoping it's not as bright as it looks, well it's brighter than it looks, it shouldn't come with reflectors bright.
    Now onto the frame itself, another aspect I think will be appreciated better in person.. In pictures the frame/design looks pretty simple, tubing looks simple/straight same effect you get when looking at a bottlerocket. I dunno if the tubing is hyrdoformed or not, but it's look more shapely in person. Top tube has a cool divet(dunno wtf else to call) near the headtube/tt/downtube junction. For a $1700 bike it's very good looking. There are torque specs on every part of the frame that requires it. The ISCG tabs with both OLD ISCG and ISCG05 are a nice touch, and I'm surprised Scott was the first one to come up with this (to my knowledge).. I'll be switching out the cranks/chainguide, so i can get a better view.
    Unfortunetly I haven't gotten her out on the trails yet, just been tooling around in the streets, feels good. But I gotta swap the rear shock spring, to get a more realistic sag. I didn't really feel cramped, but I'm 6' 4" and used to bikes too small for me, so I'm a bad judge of sizing(plus haven't been on the trails yet).
    Swapped out a couple parts already, put on Ti gold/green special edition Sunline V1's, deity stem left over from my double, 55ATA, thomson seatpost, and my street wheelset(transition revolutions w/SB8s) I got a couple parts to swap over still(saint drivetrain, LG1+, etc).. I'm gonna weigh it after I finish swapping parts, and probably take some pictures as well.. Bike looks great though.. Can't wait to get on the trails.

some good pics over here(of the FR10):
    http://dirtmountainbike.com/news/sco...tage-fr10.html

EDIT: Did some quick maths, based on a 73.5 ST angle, and 567/419 Stack/Reach, the effective top tube is 587mm for a Long.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Still waiting on that ride report and pics Capt. S! If you get a chance throw that bike on a scale too. Thanks

dontcha?
    I posted over on PB, I'll copy and paste my thoughts over here..

I got out for a ride on her yesterday.. Not the terrain I expect to be riding the bike on, but once the lifts close for the winter my options for fun, flowy and most importantly close trails is very limited. I'm used to riding these trails on my DH bike, and it's truly the best tool on this terrain. Give you an example, here's part of one of the trails:

I didn't have time to switch out my tires so I was running the SB8's which were a real sketchy anytime I need to use my brakes descending the steep leaf covered rocky chutes. I spent the first run tweaking the suspension, first time on the 55 ATA, got it decently setup, still need to play w/the air pressure. First impressions, the bike has a real active feel, it feels like it has less travel than it actually does(in a good way), it's easy to move around, pop off rocks, tracks well also, I was able to switch direction better than I expected(again coming off my dual crown dh bike). The stock Roco is noisy (you can heard it blowing off over bigger rocks/bumps), to add to that I think having the manitou spring on a Marzocchi shock was creating some extra noise. The bike also has an almost uncanny way of settling into the mid of the travel and kinda just staying there, u can almost see it when u set the sag for the bike and start bouncing on it. I usually get hung up at least once on the rocks @ these trails on my dh bike, but I didn't hit once, makes me think it's staying higher in the travel as I thought. I'd like to get some more seat time before I make any more assessments, but initial impressions are good. I'd like to get the Swinger on, just to see what a difference the shock can make. Heading to my bro's place this weekend, trails by him are better suited for fun bikes

@ the top, w/a nice view:

as for the weight as shown she weighs in at 35.6lbs. If you go off Scott's website and the stock build it should be a bit lighter than that w/my current build, but they probably based the weighs on the Short not the Long.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Rad. buckoW, do you have final geo numbers for the bike with a 8.75" shock with the 9.5" mount? You mentioned somewhere (RM?) that that was a possibility to get the bike lower and slacker.

mtbr member
    i wanna know how it rides with the 40 on it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Rad. buckoW, do you have final geo numbers for the bike with a 8.75" shock with the 9.5" mount? You mentioned somewhere (RM?) that that was a possibility to get the bike lower and slacker.
    With a Fox 36 fork the bb height is 330mm with a head angle of 65. With the 40 it is somewhere around a 345mm bb height and a 64 HA. I mainly ride the bike with the lower settings in all travel modes. I like the 200mm i2i shock with the 215 mounts, the 215mm i2i shock with the 222 mounts and the 222mm i2i shock with the 240 mounts. When I have to pedal a lot or clearance is an issue I run the normal mounts. Really rocky trails I run the 240mm i2i shock for the low leverage ratio which rolls over the rough stuff really well. I change it up a lot depending on the trail.

^^^It feels awesome with the 40^ but I prefer the long frame for that kind of riding. The short top tube gets kinda too short for me when the front end is lifted up with the 40.

For me, the coolest thing about this bike is the super low leverage ratio. It really resists the compressive forces of lips, berms and the repeated hits in rock gardens so it pops very well and rolls over rough terrain fast. Any of the shock configurations has a super low leverage ratio and really helps the bike deal with aggressive riding.

Doerfling on his

James Dorfling Best of STUND from Mike Kinrade on Vimeo.

This is what my short one looks like now

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    damnit, I just want mine to come in already! Also, I want some more cash so I can get a float 36, an rp23 and a 40 for it

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Wow, triple post

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    again, wow

mtbr member
    lets see your long bucko

mtbr member
    sorry for the bad quality pic but here she is.

I just took off the 40 to try out a new tune on the 36.

On another note, I put the short dropouts from the Voltage FR on the Voltage and that gives me 375mm or 14.7" chainstay length with gears. So fun to ride it like this!

mtbr member
    the voltage will be my next bike for sure

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm wondering about short or long bike. I'm going to put a 200mm fork on and use it for dh. I'm 174cm. What do you think?

mtbr member
    long for shure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver
    long for shure
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ok. Tank you

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    so whats teh chain growth like on the bike? Just wondering because they are specc'd with medium cage and not short like I would have thought

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Pitbull
    so whats teh chain growth like on the bike? Just wondering because they are specc'd with medium cage and not short like I would have thought
    There is not much chain growth. I think the medium cage is spec-ed to keep the cost down. I don't know but I will ask.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    couple questions for you, Ben... I am 5'11" and plan to use this for some dh, though some freeride and dj as well. I am leaning towards the long, though am not sure if I will run a triple crown fork - most likely the domain for now, then maybe some other 180mm single crown fork in the future. will a long feel too long for dj and freeride/trail? i do have a dedicated dj hardtail - a rocky mtn dj flow in medium to be exact and i really like the feel. i also ride a santa cruz chameleon with a 140mm pike in large which i have been using as my dh bike (not the best tool for the job, though has taught me a lot about picking lines). at times it feels a bit too big, though mostly because of the standover of this as it is a large. this is why i want to get this bike - the voltage fr - for the more aggressive, dh, freeride stuff (i.e. diablo freeride park)

also, i am having trouble deciding between the fr 30 and the 20. is the domain that they are stocking on these two bikes different? some of the pictures of the 20 look as though there is the blue compression adjuster knob on the top of the right fork leg, while i do not see it on some other photos. also, i do not see a taco or bashring on the 30.. i looked up the e13 ls1 that it supposedly comes with and it says you cannot attach a taco. could you mount a bashring and still run this ls1? i really like the green and white colors of the 30, though think the plus of the taco, compression knob (if it actually has it), and slightly better shock make me like the 20. on the otherhand, if i got the 30 (for the color and price savings), i could probably upgrade bash, shock, and fork in the future

i read all of your posts on pink bike and on here about this frame, though still have these questions. your help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    sam

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast