Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allmtnman View Post
    Can't seem to find much on tuning the RC4. I am about 170-175 with gear. I am running a 300lb spring. how exactly would one tune the high speed compression?
    I don't know much about that shock, but I was wondering how you're liking that spring rate? Im about the same weight and currently running the same spring but keep going between the 350 and 300lb spring. Still only getting about 30% with the 300lb spring but sometimes I feel like it bottoms too frequently.

mtbr member
    I am back to the 350lb spring. I was feeling the same bottoming issue with the 300lb. I like a stiffer spring for jumping anyway.
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Extras?

Can anyone confirm whether the 2011 models come with the extra dropouts?

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the FR10 comes with the +/- 10mm dropouts as extras (bike fitted with 0mm dropouts).
    whereas the FR20 and FR30 come only with the 0mm dropouts.

Same with the shock mounts, can anyone confirm whether the FR10 comes with the other mounts required to fit different shocks (or tweak geometry)?
    Do the FR20 and FR30 come with additional shock mounts?

This will affect my decision whether to buy a FR30 and upgrade it, or just lash out and get the FR10!

Cheers,
    Hugh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey,
    My 2011 FR10 came with the 0mm dropout and 241mm shockmount fitted, and the -1cm dropout and the 215mm shockmount in the box.

mtbr member
    No additional shock mounts or dropouts came with my 2011 FR20.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z View Post
    No additional shock mounts or dropouts came with my 2011 FR20.
    The additional shock mounts and drop out only come with the FR10.

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by Allmtnman View Post
    I am back to the 350lb spring. I was feeling the same bottoming issue with the 300lb. I like a stiffer spring for jumping anyway.
    Have you thought about increasing the bottom out chamber pressure, and adding low speed compression damping? In theory that would give you the high speed suppleness you want for things like the chatter on boulevard, while avoiding G out on a transition & bottom out on landing. Low speed is the smaller knob inside the high speed. I like mine with a lot of low speed damping, & minimal high speed damping.

I'm here for you bro... any time you need some useless ideas... just ask.

You know, better yet, just trade me shocks on sat & you won't have to worry about all those difficult tuning issues. MUCH BETTER.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here. My 12 year old just finished two days on a Scott voltage FR30 at the Teton mountain bike park and absolutely loved it. He is a novice rider 5 feet 6 inches and 130 lbs.Would the short Fr30 be a good choice for him. He wants to ride the parks and would do some local street stuff in our neighborhood.
    Finally where is the best place to look for a very good used model or new one.
    I am a car guy so I don't know much about bikes accept that the rental was great for him.
    Thanks for any advice and I enjoyed the posts and pictures.You guys are serious!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipscomb View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here. My 12 year old just finished two days on a Scott voltage FR30 at the Teton mountain bike park and absolutely loved it. He is a novice rider 5 feet 6 inches and 130 lbs.Would the short Fr30 be a good choice for him. He wants to ride the parks and would do some local street stuff in our neighborhood.
    I am a car guy so I don't know much about bikes accept that the rental was great for him.
    Thanks for any advice and I enjoyed the posts and pictures.You guys are serious!
    Glad your son enjoyed his time on the Voltage FR. It is such an amazing bike. One of the things that makes it so great is its versatility.

Size wise, I have seen many taller (56-6) riders getting by on a size short. Most of them might be primarily riding the bike in a short travel set up, mostly used for dirt jumping. It might depend on what kind of riding hell be doing most. Some prefer a longer bike for more DH type riding. At 56 a small would be perfect. Being that your kid is 12, already 56 and likely to keep growing, (and depending on when you want to buy his next bike) you might want to consider a long, but Its really going to come down to what he is comfortable on. What size was he riding at Teton and how was it working for him? Im 59 riding a long and it feels perfect. I ride my VoltageFR20 as my dedicated DH bike with long dropouts and the duel crown Domain fork.

To buy one of these bad boys new, check out the Scott website and try to locate the closest distributor to you. Scott doesnt allow mail order of their bikes, so youll have to pick one up through a local distributor. To find a used one; check out the classifieds here, Pinkbike.com, ridemonkey.com, or even ebay.

Also, check out the VoltageFR thread at pinkbike.com for additional info. Good luck!

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listco...1521&pagenum=1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipscomb View Post
    Not sure if it's worth your time, but Winterpark, Co. will have thier demo's for sale at the end of the season. I picked up 2 last season and you get a season pass when you buy one. Otherwise, check Craigslist, I have seen one or two on there from time to time. Awesome bike for sure. It's as if they do the work for you! Good Luck!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Terminator and Allmtnman for your help. I am definitely going to get the bike and they also sell the rental units at the end of the season in Jackson as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Voltage Geometries Spreadsheet

Hi all,

Since many of you are into 'tweaking' your Voltage FR by using different shock/mount options, I decided to make a spreadsheet that calculates the geometry for different combinations of shock/mount/fork/dropout/angleset.

Does anyone know how to upload a XLSM (macro enabled) spreadsheet file into this forum?
    I tried to upload it but it said 'invalid file'.

Cheers,
    Hugh.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hmcleay View Post
    Hi all,

Since many of you are into 'tweaking' your Voltage FR by using different shock/mount options, I decided to make a spreadsheet that calculates the geometry for different combinations of shock/mount/fork/dropout/angleset.

Does anyone know how to upload a XLSM (macro enabled) spreadsheet file into this forum?
    I tried to upload it but it said 'invalid file'.

Cheers,
    Hugh.
    Best bet is to either set it up on a Google Docs shared document, or just post a screen shot of the final version...I'll be interested in seeing it, as I had put one together as well!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Best bet is to either set it up on a Google Docs shared document, or just post a screen shot of the final version...I'll be interested in seeing it, as I had put one together as well!
    Thanks CharacterZero,
    I have uploaded the file to google documents.
    Unfortunately, I can't post the link here, because my post count isn't high enough (need minimum 10 posts)!
    Nor can I PM the link to you, as I need to have 15 posts to do that!

I guess it'll just have to wait...
    ...or PM me your email address.

Cheers,
    Hugh

mtbr member
    So I can pretty much dial this FR10 in on freeride, jump type dh stuff. Now I am looking to figure out how to dial the rear shock for Gnarly DH stuff. Any ideas? I am 170lbs, running the dhx rc4. I tried backing off the spring a fair amount and it bottoms pretty easily. But ran in a couple turns it feels pretty damn rigid. How far in with the bottom out adjustment and how much psi in the boost valve for such riding? I know I can only do so much with a 7" bike, but it seems it should feel a little better than it does.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have been looking at a 2011 Voltage FR20. I have been reading mixed reviews about the FRs, most are positive but a few owners say there is a lot of flex in there back. Have any of you experienced this or know why that may be?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    mine has some flex in the rear. I am a +200lb rider and it does not bother me and i ride all DH.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by deezam View Post
    I have been looking at a 2011 Voltage FR20. I have been reading mixed reviews about the FRs, most are positive but a few owners say there is a lot of flex in there back. Have any of you experienced this or know why that may be?
    Hi deezam,

I've got a 2011 FR10.
    The back wheel is certainly flexier than on other DH bikes I have owned.
    I can't say that I notice it riding though.

Before my first ride on mine, I did a 'flex test' on the back wheel (by gripping the top of the wheel with my hand, and trying to move it laterally).
    Suddenly, there was a clunk, and the wheel developed some play!
    I investigated the source, and the linkage pivot closest to the rear axle (on the drive side) had developed some play.
    I undid the pivot hardware, and was surprised to see that the bearing was loose, where it is supposed to be a 'press fit' into the frame (I could push it in/out by hand)!
    To me, this is an unacceptable quality control issue.
    Surely the person assembling the bike in the factory should have noticed this.
    I reinstalled the bearing with some loctite bearing compound, and 24hrs later, problem fixed.

Aside from the bearing issue, it's just a slightly flexy design, which I don't notice while riding (what is it supposed to feel like anyway?)
    I take the good with the bad. The rest of the bike is awesome, and certainly don't regret buying it.

HTH,
    Hugh.

mtbr member
    Wanna buy a 2010 FR10 stripped of it's paint with a Boxxer fork? I got one for sale. MINT condition except a ding on one of the wheels. Purely cosmetic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i work for a bike shop and have been thinking of getting one of these as my DH bike. Well, it will mostly be a resort bike, so i figure its perfect for it.

Anyways, I am 5-9, and my AM bike has a 22.6 TT with a 50mm stem. Feels dead on. I notice the size of the voltages is 21.9 and 22.9. I havent a clue which one to get. I feel for straight DH runs the long would be ideal with a 35mm stem, but the short would be most playful, but then I might have to go to a 60mm stem.
    What do you all recommend? Oh, I am looking at the FR20. (2012)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    looking to change my rear shock and forks to air to shed a bit of weight
    My options are Lyrik Solo Airs 170mm or Fox Float 160 for the front and either DHX5.0 air or Monarch Plus for the rear (using 222mm mounts).

Is anyone using any of these setups?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00 View Post
    i work for a bike shop and have been thinking of getting one of these as my DH bike. Well, it will mostly be a resort bike, so i figure its perfect for it.

Anyways, I am 5-9, and my AM bike has a 22.6 TT with a 50mm stem. Feels dead on. I notice the size of the voltages is 21.9 and 22.9. I havent a clue which one to get. I feel for straight DH runs the long would be ideal with a 35mm stem, but the short would be most playful, but then I might have to go to a 60mm stem.
    What do you all recommend? Oh, I am looking at the FR20. (2012)
    I was in the same boat when I bought mine. Being my primary DH and resort bike, I went with the long; I even added on the longer dropouts. I'm also about 5'9" and the bike feels perfect. The short would have also had a shorter TT then my AM bike, so leaning more towards DH, I didn't want a shorter length bike then what I already had (especially when considering the slightly compact frame design of the FR.) Even setup with the DC fork and longer dropouts, the bike is super playful and loves being in the air.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

couple upgrades to my '10 20.
    66 RCV, V1 flat bars, 1.5 stem, ODI Rogues, new seat and 400mm post. bike is super fun. yeah, i guess you can move the rear wheel a bit perpendicular to the travel with your hand but i've never actually noticed anything while riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    those bars look great! I got same bars on my FR10 (38mm rise) and love em.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hi all, i just bought a 2012 FR20 and i'm planning to change the fork. Was recommended boxxer, any other forks to recommend?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast