Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckoW
    Sounds like the XX 12-36 tooth cassette would be good for you. I run that so I can climb a bit and keep my chain guide.

The low leverage ratio and slightly higher than chain line pivot make the bike pedal really well. I am stoked you are liking it. Now let's get you the right gearing!
    Thanks for the advice. I have a 34t chain ring and just installed a 11-34 cassette to try out tomorrow. I'm sure this will make a huge difference.

smartass
    New pic, minor updates:

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I cant tell from the pic, are you running a totem coil or air?

smartass
    Coil.

nprider
    Jan 2008

flex

I'm wondering if anyone else who has a Voltage FR has noticed a lot of flex from the rear end. I have all my pivots torqued to spec, and the wheel is true and tight, but when I'm on off-camber, rooty/rocky sections, it feels like the rear wheel is steering itself in a different direction. It feels great in the corners, especially the berms, and I've been having fun getting loose and drifty with the bike, but the rear-end flex is disconcerting sometimes. Is it just part of the design (no cross-brace between the seatstays)? Am I overthinking it? For the record I've only had it out on xc/trailbike terrain, as it's unfortunately still ski season at the resorts (boo).

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    EVERY bike/sus design flexes at the rear.....
    EVERY one. Up to you how much you're willing to tolerate.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    EVERY bike/sus design flexes at the rear.....
    EVERY one. Up to you how much you're willing to tolerate.

sounds like he found how much he was willing to tolerate...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by buckoW
    No problem.

I run a 300 lb spring in the long travel setting on a firm compression tuned RC4 and I am around 80 kilos so I would definitely recommend a 250 for you. The 225 lb springs for a 10.5" shock also fit on the 240mm i2i shocks by the way.

It is better to have 2 springs if you want to have good performance in both travels. I run the good spring for me in the long travel hole and then the bike is firmer for jumps if I put it in the short travel hole.
    Buckow, I see a lot of people running RP23s or DHX air. What's the difference in performance between the two, what types of riding are they better for? For a 215 i2i on a 2011. Thanks again for the input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau
    Thanks for the advice. I have a 34t chain ring and just installed a 11-34 cassette to try out tomorrow. I'm sure this will make a huge difference.
    How's the gearing working for you? I'm pedaling my FR30 all over and could use some extra teeth as well. Do you or anyone know if you can use a 2x9 drivetrain with an e-type FD? Thinking a SLX 22/36 would be nice. Seems like it should work on paper but dunno for sure. If not looks likes 1x10 with a 11-36 is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdthreecs
    How's the gearing working for you? I'm pedaling my FR30 all over and could use some extra teeth as well. Do you or anyone know if you can use a 2x9 drivetrain with an e-type FD? Thinking a SLX 22/36 would be nice. Seems like it should work on paper but dunno for sure. If not looks likes 1x10 with a 11-36 is the way to go.
    It's better than what it was. The 1x10 might be a little better but to me it's one more gear to shift. My local trails are steep down followed by steep up. I just need to get used to not being on my other bike with a front der.

mtbr member
    It's better than what it was. The 1x10 might be a little better but to me it's one more gear to shift. My local trails are steep down followed by steep up. I just need to get used to not being on my other bike with a front der.

I did a 1x10. AWESOME! I now use this as my all mtn/ freeride/ xc bike. I do a 10 min. fork swap and bingo, legit dh. Best move I ever made. I'm at around 35lbs right now with the van fork and dh tires. Lighter than my enduro! FR10 btw.
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allmtnman
    I did a 1x10. AWESOME! I now use this as my all mtn/ freeride/ xc bike. I do a 10 min. fork swap and bingo, legit dh. Best move I ever made. I'm at around 35lbs right now with the van fork and dh tires. Lighter than my enduro! FR10 btw.
    I have the fr20 and I believe mine is around 36 lbs. You can definitely pedal this bike but I'm try to keep up with my buddies with an ibis mojo hd and a pivot firebird. However like you said a 10 min fork swap and they can't keep up when we ride dh.

mtbr member

voltage DH

What is the difference between the 2011 Voltage FR and the Voltage DH. I'm guessing travel is not adjustable, but is the geo the same, more travel? After watching the Floriane on those jumps today I just had to ask.

mtbr member
    What is the difference between the 2011 Voltage FR and the Voltage DH. I'm guessing travel is not adjustable, but is the geo the same, more travel? After watching the Floriane on those jumps today I just had to ask.
    The Voltage DH has 8 inches of rear travel a 1° slacker headangle (-2° for Floriane's bike) and a one piece link.

She jumped those pretty well. I was happy for her. Emilie Siegenthaler did well on her's too!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hello everyone, I'm a 30 year old from upstate NY that has been out of the mountain biking scene for some years, and I came across this thread while looking for a new toy.

I've only ever ridden hard tails, but I've always wanted to add a FR to complement my Stumpy M2 Comp.

I primarily ride in the local state park and Skidmore college's trails here in Saratoga Springs, NY. My friends and I have done the local mountain thing before, and I can't wait to get back to it, just not on my hard tail...

I'm very interested in the Voltage FR 30. Is there anyone who wouldn't recommend this bike? Any recommendations for fitting this to someone who is 6'1" 250lbs? I'm new to full suspension, and I've been out of the scene for a while, but I'm a quick learn.

thanks for your time, nice to meet you all.

-J

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Voltage FR rear triangle stiffness

Hi All,

This is a long and detailled thread regarding the Voltage FR and I've only seen a couple of comments regarding the stiffness of the rear triangle, but I though I would explicity ask:

How stiff is the rear end of this bike (lateral/torsion)? (x-post with DH/FR forum)

Reason I ask is that I think I'm going to get rid of my current 160mm frame, specifically because it's quite flexy in a sometimes-deeply-unnerving-middle-of-heavy-corner-needing-correcting-kinda-way, and it would be a shame to leap from frying pan into the fire....

Thanks for any comments/insights!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Spring size?

Chaps,
    Im a pretty big guy, 6ft3 , 111Kg without kit, I have an FR20 on order what spring would you reccomend for long travel?

I was going to get one of these:
    Nukeproof 3" x 500 Lbs x 170mm Free Length

Also have a pair of Fox 36 Van R 180s on the way, should i be thinking about upgrading the stock spring for somthing harder... not sure what it comes with, it should arive today

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindicator65 View Post
    Chaps,
    Im a pretty big guy, 6ft3 , 111Kg without kit, I have an FR20 on order what spring would you reccomend for long travel?

I was going to get one of these:
    Nukeproof 3" x 500 Lbs x 170mm Free Length

Also have a pair of Fox 36 Van R 180s on the way, should i be thinking about upgrading the stock spring for somthing harder... not sure what it comes with, it should arive today
    Congrats on the new bike. Just received my new FR20 also. Man this bike is awesome!

I know for 90kg Scott recommends a 350x3.25. With your weight you might be able to go with a 400 or 450 lb. spring. (but then again they’re also recommending 40% sag...?) Stock the bike comes with a 350x3.25. With gear I’m right at about 75kg. The stock sprig felt a little stiff for me, so I picked up the 300 lb. On my 6point I was running a 400 lb. spring.

Only had the bike 2 days, so I still need to take it on a proper ride to feel her out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z View Post
    Congrats on the new bike. Just received my new FR20 also. Man this bike is awesome!

I know for 90kg Scott recommends a 350x3.25. With your weight you might be able to go with a 400 or 450 lb. spring. (but then again they’re also recommending 40% sag...?) Stock the bike comes with a 350x3.25. With gear I’m right at about 75kg. The stock sprig felt a little stiff for me, so I picked up the 300 lb. On my 6point I was running a 400 lb. spring.

Only had the bike 2 days, so I still need to take it on a proper ride to feel her out.

40% sag seems like a bit much for me, i checked out the spring rate calc on the mojo store, and it reckons i need 480.... dont know what sag this is at though, i think i am edging towards a 500

mtbr member
    Any chance a short frame would fit a 5'3" lanky female?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

BB Height of Voltage FR 10 2011

Hi all,

one question: do you think the bottom bracket is "overexposed" to rocks and roots?
    I think that 348mm of height should not be enough...

Thanks

mtbr member
    I ride bootleg canyon on occasion which is known for it's rocky terrain. I do clip a pedal from time to time but it is nothing out of the ordinary from what every one else experiences out there. I would worry too much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    what rear spring should i get? I have the stock '11 FR10 and weigh about 240lbs with gear. Not sure which rate spring i should get. Thanks.

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd Wong View Post
    Any chance a short frame would fit a 5'3" lanky female?
    I'm 5'8 on a L, and my wife is 5'1 on a S, I'd say you could get away with either. I don't think you'd feel that the L would be "needed" unless all you ride is steeper true DH type riding.

Messican, you can download (or view online) the user guide & it has the specs for you.

http://www.scott-sports.com/download...reeride_en.pdf

Page 6 has spring recommendations, you can extrapolate from their suggestions. I'd guess a 450 would be ideal for you if you're running max travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Can't seem to find much on tuning the RC4. I am about 170-175 with gear. I am running a 300lb spring. how exactly would one tune the high speed compression?
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!!!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast