mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Scott Voltage 730 - Swapping Dropout

I have a Scott Voltage FR 730 that currently has a 135mm nutted rear connection. I know the FR 720 and 710 has 135mmx12mm thru axles. I am hoping to swap the dropout (looks like it can be swapped, provided I can get a hold of the part), and convert my 730 to a thru axle.

Any advice? Is this possible? Am I overlooking anything that I need to know? I know I'll need to change out the axle as well, I've never done this, so any advice is greatly appreciated on how to go about that.

Any advice on how to get a hold of the dropout on a Voltage? I tried emailing Scott, and haven't heard back (that was a couple weeks ago).

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    I have a 730 also. You can do it. You'll just have to get a new hub. Contact a Scott dealer and have them order it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan View Post
    I have a 730 also. You can do it. You'll just have to get a new hub. Contact a Scott dealer and have them order it.
    Will a new hub fit correctly in the dropout? Or do I need to replace the dropout on the frame as well (I know it's different than the 720 and 710)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
    Any advice on how to get a hold of the dropout on a Voltage?
    I went through a similar thing on my Genius (trying to get a new dropouts for a thru axle). I found the correct dropouts at my local Scott dealer.

I'd bet that is what Scott would tell you to do (go to local dealer).

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have a 2015 scott voltage FR 730 and I had my LBS Scott dealer order and install the thru axle and dropouts (Scott won't sell you the parts directly, you'll have to go through a bike shop that deals with Scott). I then put on my new rear 135x12 wheel and everything worked out fine. I believe the thru axle and dropouts are two separate part numbers, and I think it's the same dropouts that come on the 720 and 730. So yea it does work. I also think the owner manual (which you can get on Scott's website as a PDF) mentions that the dropouts are interchangeable, and they recommend the genuine Scott thru axle to be used with the dropouts.

Also just incase you want to change the head angle on your bike like Scott advertises...... I ordered the DH adjustable headset with my LBS that the manual mentions, but it does NOT work on single crown forks (Scott and my LBS should of known better). You'll need the headset cups that come on the 710 to adjust your headset angle. (The 710 has a single crown fox 36 fork). This has to do with the width of the tapered fork not fitting on the DH adjustable headset. Just a heads up.