mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Scott Voltage 730 - Swapping Dropout

I have a Scott Voltage FR 730 that currently has a 135mm nutted rear connection. I know the FR 720 and 710 has 135mmx12mm thru axles. I am hoping to swap the dropout (looks like it can be swapped, provided I can get a hold of the part), and convert my 730 to a thru axle.

Any advice? Is this possible? Am I overlooking anything that I need to know? I know I'll need to change out the axle as well, I've never done this, so any advice is greatly appreciated on how to go about that.

Any advice on how to get a hold of the dropout on a Voltage? I tried emailing Scott, and haven't heard back (that was a couple weeks ago).

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    I have a 730 also. You can do it. You'll just have to get a new hub. Contact a Scott dealer and have them order it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan View Post
    I have a 730 also. You can do it. You'll just have to get a new hub. Contact a Scott dealer and have them order it.
    Will a new hub fit correctly in the dropout? Or do I need to replace the dropout on the frame as well (I know it's different than the 720 and 710)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
    Any advice on how to get a hold of the dropout on a Voltage?
    I went through a similar thing on my Genius (trying to get a new dropouts for a thru axle). I found the correct dropouts at my local Scott dealer.

I'd bet that is what Scott would tell you to do (go to local dealer).

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have a 2015 scott voltage FR 730 and I had my LBS Scott dealer order and install the thru axle and dropouts (Scott won't sell you the parts directly, you'll have to go through a bike shop that deals with Scott). I then put on my new rear 135x12 wheel and everything worked out fine. I believe the thru axle and dropouts are two separate part numbers, and I think it's the same dropouts that come on the 720 and 730. So yea it does work. I also think the owner manual (which you can get on Scott's website as a PDF) mentions that the dropouts are interchangeable, and they recommend the genuine Scott thru axle to be used with the dropouts.

Also just incase you want to change the head angle on your bike like Scott advertises...... I ordered the DH adjustable headset with my LBS that the manual mentions, but it does NOT work on single crown forks (Scott and my LBS should of known better). You'll need the headset cups that come on the 710 to adjust your headset angle. (The 710 has a single crown fox 36 fork). This has to do with the width of the tapered fork not fitting on the DH adjustable headset. Just a heads up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but just wanted to confirm something before I purchased;

I have a 2016 Scott Voltage FR 730 and want to convert to 135x12mm thru-axle (or at least have the option when I want to change wheels later in the season). Are either of these the right part?

Kit Complet #200521 IDS 12mm SCOTT
    https://www.bike24.com/1.php?menu=10...product=138174

Any info appreciated!
    2016 Cannondale SuperX
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Scott Voltage FR 730
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I also see a complete kit that seems much more involved... but marked for 'Voltage FR 2015-2016'. I am guessing this is the one;

http://soshanger.com/epages/box11137.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/box11137/Products/%22239177/SCT%22
    Last edited by Marc2211; 01-24-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    2016 Cannondale SuperX
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalashx View Post
    Also just incase you want to change the head angle on your bike like Scott advertises...... I ordered the DH adjustable headset with my LBS that the manual mentions, but it does NOT work on single crown forks (Scott and my LBS should of known better). You'll need the headset cups that come on the 710 to adjust your headset angle. (The 710 has a single crown fox 36 fork). This has to do with the width of the tapered fork not fitting on the DH adjustable headset. Just a heads up.
    Just stumbled across this.

Can you emphasize a little? I'm thinking about installing one of these Syncros DH headsets on my first gen Voltage. So are you saying that the headset is for a straight 1 1/8 steer tube? I run a single crown 36 with a 1 1/8 steer. Also are the cups fix/one piece like a Works headset or do they use some sort of gimbal type set up like Cane Creek? And the headset comes with multiple cups, right? 0*, 1*, 2*? The website is pretty vague with little information and of course the shop isn't aware of any of this either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc2211 View Post
    I also see a complete kit that seems much more involved... but marked for 'Voltage FR 2015-2016'. I am guessing this is the one;

http://soshanger.com/epages/box11137.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/box11137/Products/%22239177/SCT%22
    Just confirmed with the website that this is the same as fitted to the 720 and 710.
    2016 Cannondale SuperX
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc2211 View Post
    Just confirmed with the website that this is the same as fitted to the 720 and 710.
    You sure about that? They don't look like my dropouts. Mine are straight from Scott, ordered from my LBS for my 2015 Scott Voltage FR. Those might be last generation's voltage. Here are pictures of my dropouts.
    Scott Voltage 730 - Swapping Dropout-file_001-1-.jpgScott Voltage 730 - Swapping Dropout-file_002.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z View Post
    Just stumbled across this.

Can you emphasize a little? I'm thinking about installing one of these Syncros DH headsets on my first gen Voltage. So are you saying that the headset is for a straight 1 1/8 steer tube? I run a single crown 36 with a 1 1/8 steer. Also are the cups fix/one piece like a Works headset or do they use some sort of gimbal type set up like Cane Creek? And the headset comes with multiple cups, right? 0*, 1*, 2*? The website is pretty vague with little information and of course the shop isn't aware of any of this either!

The Syncros DH adjustable headset is for straight 1-1/8" steerer tubes, it won't fit on tapered ones. I learned this the hard way. Is your FOX 36 fork tapered 1.5" to 1-1/8"? I think all of them are so it won't fit, correct me if I'm wrong. Also yes, there are multiple cups for each angle. So what I did was had Scott send my bike shop the red set of cups (which is the slackest or steepest angle depending on how you install it) and now I have to buy an aftermarket headset for my tapered fork because the stock one is unsealed, and the cups only work on sealed headsets (Scott didn't have a tapered 1.5" headset to send me. If you have a 710, it might have a sealed headset for tapered forks not sure). They refunded me for the Syncros DH adjustable headset which comes with 3 sets of cups for 3 different head angles (2 cups per set, 1 pressed into the top of the headtube and the other pressed into the bottom of the headtube). Here is a picture of my red set of cups. The voltage 710 probably comes with multiple cups since I don't see how the Syncros HD adjustable headset will fit on the 710.
    Scott Voltage 730 - Swapping Dropout-ss-2017-01-31-02.39.14-.jpgScott Voltage 730 - Swapping Dropout-ss-2017-01-31-02.39.19-.jpg

mtbr member
    The Syncros DH adjustable headset is for straight 1-1/8" steerer tubes, it won't fit on tapered ones. I learned this the hard way. Is your FOX 36 fork tapered 1.5" to 1-1/8"? I think all of them are so it won't fit, correct me if I'm wrong. Also yes, there are multiple cups for each angle. So what I did was had Scott send my bike shop the red set of cups (which is the slackest or steepest angle depending on how you install it) and now I have to buy an aftermarket headset for my tapered fork because the stock one is unsealed, and the cups only work on sealed headsets (Scott didn't have a tapered 1.5" headset to send me. If you have a 710, it might have a sealed headset for tapered forks not sure). They refunded me for the Syncros DH adjustable headset which comes with 3 sets of cups for 3 different head angles (2 cups per set, 1 pressed into the top of the headtube and the other pressed into the bottom of the headtube). Here is a picture of my red set of cups. The voltage 710 probably comes with multiple cups since I don't see how the Syncros HD adjustable headset will fit on the 710.
    Thanks for info and pics Kalashx!

Yea, I have 2014 coil 36 RC2 with a straight 1 1/8. Guess they were still making the narrower steer forks back then. Bought it like that to easily swap between my dual crown.

So the Syncros DH headset requires you to use you existing headset bearings?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for info and pics Kalashx!

Yea, I have 2014 coil 36 RC2 with a straight 1 1/8. Guess they were still making the narrower steer forks back then. Bought it like that to easily swap between my dual crown.

So the Syncros DH headset requires you to use you existing headset bearings?

No problem!

No, it comes with a full Syncros headset + 3 sets of cups to change the head angles which I got a refund for. What Scott voltage do you have?

mtbr member

No, it comes with a full Syncros headset + 3 sets of cups to change the head angles.
    Right on. Wasn't factoring that in. My current headset is a mix matched FSA with a sealed bottom cup and a stock open cage bearing in the upper. Guess I'll have to look into those as well. Maybe thats why the headset seemed so affordable! Love how none of these details are worded out on the web site!

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Right on. Wasn't factoring that in. My current headset is a mix matched FSA with a sealed bottom cup and a stock open cage bearing in the upper. Guess I'll have to look into those as well. Maybe thats why the headset seemed so affordable! Love how none of these details are worded out on the web site!

Thanks again!

No problem! Also just in case I wasn't clear enough, I returned the Syncros DH adjustable headset (along with it's cups), and ordered those red cups separately. These red cups are specifically for Scott Voltage 700 series with tapered 1.5" 1-1/8" forks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You sure about that? They don't look like my dropouts. Mine are straight from Scott, ordered from my LBS for my 2015 Scott Voltage FR. Those might be last generation's voltage. Here are pictures of my dropouts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_001 (1).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	1118804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_002.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	1118805
    Huge thanks for this! Yep the kits looked different... Ended up buying one from Scott directly, now have the same as the one in your pics.
    2016 Cannondale SuperX
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2014 Scott Aspect 740