mtbr member

Scott Scales on a diet!

Expert mostly stock. Weighted w/ pedals (xtr), two cages, and a tube taped under the seat, with stock wheelset: 24 lbs 3 oz.

Bought a set of Stan's Crest from Bikerbob.com (great price and service) and bike dropped a full pound to 23 lbs 4 oz.

Unlike the DT Swiss the tires were a b*tch to mount, but unlike the DT Swiss, the tires did "pop" on tightly to the rim, and I bet I am going to be able to ride w/ 5 less psi in the tires.

Now if only the snow would melt so I could see how the pound dropped in rotational weight feels...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scott Scales on a diet!-img_2235.jpg  

Scott Scales on a diet!-img_2237.jpg  

Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    how bad was the tire mounting? just got a set from BikerBob too! did you use the same tires it came with?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thnking of going to xpedo pedals, only 230 grams!, should drop a bit off my xt780's now!

mtbr member
    Mounting the tires was pretty difficult. Even tried a metal tire lever which is never a good idea and a sign of desperation. The problem w/ the Stan's design is that the valve blocks the tire bead from going into the rim groove while you are trying to pull the tire over the wall. Writing this now (doh!) I realized maybe it would be easier to put the tire on if you try to mount the tire at the end right at the valve. Hate to think what it's going to be like if I ever flat at a race and need to remove the tire. Mind you I have changed enough tires in my life that I have not needed to use a tire lever in years to remove a tire. Better start carrying one again I guess. Tire in question was indeed the stock Rocket Rons.

Don't know too much about the Xpedo pedals but would definitely do a reliability search on them b4 purchasing!
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

Your Best Friend
    Xpedo pedals work great and their customer service was awesome when I smashed a pedal on a rock. New pedals at my door in less than a week. I have two of the Ti sets and have used them for more than two years now. They are the high end stuff made by Wellgo.

It is always fun to see the weight dropping off your bike. Wish I could get it to drop off of me as easily.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I should warn those upgrading to Stan's wheels. That BST tech they advertise is no BS and really does widen the tire! My Rocket Ron 2.25 that used to fit w/ out rubbing in the back, is now rubbing and created a small cut in the left chain stay of the bike!!!! (I think it just wore off the clear coat paint and am glad I caught this early!). I have some space on the driveside so my lbs is going to see if they can bring the wheel over by a few mm, but if not, i am going to have to go w/ a 2.1.

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    the racing ralphs fit fine on crest wheels and dont hit the chainstays, although the ron's are wider.

Your Best Friend
    That is strange. Perhaps some other elements at play here? I am running RoRo's on an Arch rim with no issues. I just purchased the American Classic Race wheelset which is even wider. I'll post up if I see any issues. Good luck on your frame!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob View Post
    I should warn those upgrading to Stan's wheels. That BST tech they advertise is no BS and really does widen the tire! My Rocket Ron 2.25 that used to fit w/ out rubbing in the back, is now rubbing and created a small cut in the left chain stay of the bike!!!! (I think it just wore off the clear coat paint and am glad I caught this early!). I have some space on the driveside so my lbs is going to see if they can bring the wheel over by a few mm, but if not, i am going to have to go w/ a 2.1.
    Does the wheel sit straight in the dropouts? I've noticed my frame has quite a bit of slop in the dropouts, the wheel pulls slightly toward the left chainstay on mine from the chain torque. I use two layers of helicopter tape on the stays in case the tire rubs from wheelflex. I've ruined frames before when the tire wore through the stays.

mtbr member
    Bike shop trued wheel over to right, which gave it a little bit better clearance, though I'll have to watch it carefully. Right now, no clearance issue though:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scott Scales on a diet!-scott-scale-wheels.jpg  

My bike/ race Blog

Your Best Friend
    Want to lose some easy weight? Lose the POS chainstay protector. It migrates anyway on long, rough rides and rubs the crank arms. Apply some helicopter tape along the chainstay and you'll be golden. Use the rest of the helicopter tape to protect your frame in other key areas.

mtbr member
    Good point Silentfoe. I should throw that thing away. You can't see it in the pic, but the bike has helicopter tape on it: outside seat stay, chain stays, and down tube (double layer)!

My bike/ race Blog

Your Best Friend
    Nice! Don't forget to put a couple layers in the spot where the brakes/shifters hit the top tube. This is the place I've seen many carbon frames damaged after a crash.