mtbr member
    May 2007

Scott Scale RC/Pro 29 frame sizing

With the addition of the new Small size to their line up, can anybody weigh in on what size frame they purchased and how big a rider you are?

I'm just shy of 5' 8" and am 150#. Trying to determine whether the small or the medium is the right frame for me. 30" inseam.

I have stood over the 2011 medium and it seems like it could fit. They come with a super short stem out of the box (although I will be building it from ground up). If I can get away with the small I would think that it would be more manueverable and perhaps a hair lighter. However I'd guess that I would have to run a longer stem which could negatively impact handling.

I looked at the geometry specs and the difference in the top tube length is 10mm. Headtube height is also 10mm different. Head and seat angles are identical. Chainstay length and BB offset are identical. The real differences that I can note between the small and medium are: the height of the frame>BB to center of top tube = 45mm difference resulting in a standover height difference of 32mm. Wheelbase is only 13mm different.

To summarize, it seems like the main difference between the small and the medium is the height of the frame. Everything else is pretty similar. My worry about going with the small is that I might have to have too much post sticking out but at my height perhaps that wouldn't be the case. Unfortunately I don't have access to a small to check out.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
    Last edited by digit3; 11-05-2011 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    The sizing looks to be close to the niner air9, so maybe look there for sizing info.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I looked closely at the specs of the Scott medium vs. small. The major difference is the height of the frame, with the BB height remaining the same.

Curious what the handling and ride characteristic would be between two identical frames (length of stays, same angles, very close top tubes, very close wheelbase) that only differ in their height of seat tube and head tube?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Looking at the geometry charts, the reach is 2cm longer on the medium. You would have to make that up with a longer stem on the small. Any weight savings in the frame size will probably be negated by the longer stem and longer seatpost since the seat tube length of the small is 5cm shorter. I'm about your height and I would choose the medium because the longer stem with the 69.5 degree HTA is going to make the steering pretty slow.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great feedback System! Exactly what I was looking for and it is going to make me go on a 2.5 hr drive to sit on a small to be sure.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No problem, just make sure you post some pics after you get it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just ordered it yesterday! Now to figure out the build....

Thinking: XTR 1 X 10, XTR brakes, XTR hubs laced to Stans, maybe Syntace hiflex post(if I don't like the Ritchey carbon that it comes with), eggbeater 11, syntace stem and bars, schwalbe rubber, 135g selle italia, eThirteen chain keeper.

Big question for me is the fork. Bike will be for ripping in the desert SW. I'm fairly light at 150# and primarily ride carbon rigid on my two main bikes so I'm used to fast handling. Scale is spec'd with 100mm DT Swiss. I'm not going that route but am leaning towards a 15mm SID (world cup if I can get a hookup from SRAM).