mtbr member
    Oct 2012

SCOTT Scale 900 SL

I am planning to buy the new scott scale 900 sl next month, anyone here got some experience on this bike? kindly share

mtbr member
    Great bike. And even though it is expensive, it's priced better than it's competition with similar parts.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blurxc11 View Post
    I am planning to buy the new scott scale 900 sl next month, anyone here got some experience on this bike? kindly share
    Did you get the 900SL? How do you like it?

mtbr member
    I've gotten myself the 900 RC 2014 - I can tell you it's really amazing : stable, yet responsive, the handling, the comfort ... From the first minute I felt right at home. My previous 29er frameset was a Merida Big Nine Team Edition, which I never felt really comfortable on. The Scott is amazing, I love it !

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a Scale 940 and love it but it's almost completely upgraded and I wondering what's next! I'm thinkin about upgrading to the 900sl frame a little later down the road! My frame has taken a little beating since I just started riding again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    madskatingcow....I would love to know how it compares to the Lynskey you had last year?

mtbr member
    Both are difficult to compare, as they each have their own qualities.

The feedback while riding is a different experience on each.

The Lynskey is a tiny bit more stable on the technical stuff, but that might as well have to do with it's weight. Comfort of the Scale is slightly more than on my Lynskey (note : both have a Syntace P6 Hi Flex seatpost), while the Lynskey handles a little sharper.

Below my Scott Scale 900 RC 2014.
    Custom build Reynolds 28H wheels (DT 240S centerlock straight pull hubs, Sapim Race / Laser spokes, Sapim 12mm nipples, custom decals).
    Syntace parts (seatpost, stem, handlebar)
    SRAM XX1 with Rotor 30T chainring
    Shimano XTR BR-M988 Trail 2014 brakes
    Shimano SM-RT99 Centerlock rotors (180/160)
    Shimano XTR pedals
    Specialized Zee Cage II left
    Specialized S-Works Fast Trak 29x2.2 tires
    Specialized Toupe 143mm saddle
    Fox Terralogic 2014 fork

SCOTT Scale 900 SL-scale_900rc.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    I've gotten myself the 900 RC 2014 - I can tell you it's really amazing : stable, yet responsive, the handling, the comfort ... From the first minute I felt right at home. My previous 29er frameset was a Merida Big Nine Team Edition, which I never felt really comfortable on. The Scott is amazing, I love it !
    What size did you go with? I'm 6'1" and can't decide between the L and XL for the 2014 Scott Scale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Did you have any issues with chainline and the qx1 ring? I run that set-up on a different bike and noticed that with the gxp crankset the chainline seems to be slighty off center (biased to side with 10t cog) so it likes to pull itself off the 42t cog when you pedal backwards. I have a feeling the rotor spider is meant for the bb30 crankset. Nevertheless, sweet set-up! I really love my qx1 set-up and plan do it on my scale 700 when my framset arrives next week!

Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    Both are difficult to compare, as they each have their own qualities.

The feedback while riding is a different experience on each.

The Lynskey is a tiny bit more stable on the technical stuff, but that might as well have to do with it's weight. Comfort of the Scale is slightly more than on my Lynskey (note : both have a Syntace P6 Hi Flex seatpost), while the Lynskey handles a little sharper.

Below my Scott Scale 900 RC 2014.
    Custom build Reynolds 28H wheels (DT 240S centerlock straight pull hubs, Sapim Race / Laser spokes, Sapim 12mm nipples, custom decals).
    Syntace parts (seatpost, stem, handlebar)
    SRAM XX1 with Rotor 30T chainring
    Shimano XTR BR-M988 Trail 2014 brakes
    Shimano SM-RT99 Centerlock rotors (180/160)
    Shimano XTR pedals
    Specialized Zee Cage II left
    Specialized S-Works Fast Trak 29x2.2 tires
    Specialized Toupe 143mm saddle
    Fox Terralogic 2014 fork

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scale_900RC.jpg 
Views:	6412 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	876521

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mntking View Post
    What size did you go with? I'm 6'1" and can't decide between the L and XL for the 2014 Scott Scale.
    I'm 1m77.5cm which is 5'.9" : the medium fits me perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzitsmyUSofwtvr View Post
    Did you have any issues with chainline and the qx1 ring? I run that set-up on a different bike and noticed that with the gxp crankset the chainline seems to be slighty off center (biased to side with 10t cog) so it likes to pull itself off the 42t cog when you pedal backwards. I have a feeling the rotor spider is meant for the bb30 crankset. Nevertheless, sweet set-up! I really love my qx1 set-up and plan do it on my scale 700 when my framset arrives next week!
    Not really - everything runs smooth. The chain will always tend to pull itself off the 42t cog due to the angle the chain is running.

The stock SRAM XX1 crank / spider has a 49mm chainline, while the Rotor Rex cranks have a 56mm chainline. That's the reason I'm not running a Rex crank, as 7mm is huge if you ride the 42T a lot. Don't know if the SRAM QX1 spider changes the chainline on the XX1 crank. I can always measure tonight if you want.

mtbr member
    I checked and measured yesterday evening : the Rotor QX1 spider is 'straight', while the stock SRAM XX1 spider is a little dished inwards. This makes a 7mm difference in chainline, with the stock XX1 spider being the narrowest : 49mm.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know where I can get a 2014 Scott Scale 900 SL frameset (size: M) online nowadays?

They seem to be sold-out at every European bike store that I know of and US stores aren't allowed to ship them.