Thread: Scott Scale ?

mtbr member

Scott Scale ?

how are these bikes as all around trail bikes ? i really like the way they look and feel , just trying to make the jump onto a $1200.00 bike
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    26er or 29er?
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    29er
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    They are quite stable on the trail w/ their slack HA! The aluminium ones are not quite as forgiving as the carbon ones when it comes to trail chatter. Hardtails do require more control and more input than full susp bikes. Besides that, imho I think they are good trail bikes.
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

Your Best Friend
    +1!

I use mine for endurance racing and ride it hard. The aluminum version would be stiffer and less forgiving but all the other great aspects of the frame are there. If you like how it felt, go for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've just gone balls out and bought a Scale SL 2012 frame for my 30th. Though I've never ridden a Scott! Has anyone in this thread tried the SL? What's it like?
    May aim is to use it for endurance races as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ride an aluminum model. I've had it since last June. One 50 mile race on it, lots of regular rides, some which see me pounding on it pretty well.

For my money, its a really good "trail" bike despite the supposed disadvantages of the aluminum frame. Unlike a lot of the other 29ers I tested before I bought my bike, the Scale is actually really fun when you decide you want to jump, hop, or play on the trail. Not afraid of roots or rocks. At the same time, if it's a head down, chew up the miles kind of day it will do that, too. A lot of the other 29ers I tested in the years before biting on a 29er seemed only really good at covering the miles

As for comfort, all I can say is that when I roll down the mental Rolodex of endurance races in my area (I am in Georgia, USA), I can't think of one that would put me out of my depth just because I'm on a hard tail. Its a hard tail, not a couch, but that being said it is a really comfortable hard tail.

It is a really, really versatile bike. Fun, steady, comfortable. For reference, read the review of the Selma Irwin Trail here on MTBR. It's a local trail for me. I have been hitting it on the Scale pretty frequently this winter.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    i'm on an aluminum '11 scale 29er. with the mods in my sig i'm at about 23 lbs. this bike climbs like crazy and isn't too bad in handling despite the super clack HTA, i'm gonna go with a shorter stem which should quicken the steering a bit, then it'll be all out for me