mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Scott Scale 720 first impressions

Also posted on the 27.5 forum:

Just purchased a Scott Scale 720 race bike and took her on the maiden ride today.

At 5-4/135 lbs. and short legs, a 29er was out of the question (no standover on any model I tested). Even if I had standover, getting the cockpit right (I prefer a race-oriented flat-back position) would've been impossible.

So 27.5 or another 26er were the only options. I came from a Turner Nitrous and really loved that bike until cracking the frame last month.

This is my first carbon bike and I can't get over how compliant the ride is. It's really about as plush as the 3'' travel Nitrous. And with the bigger wheels, you truly point it and it rolls over crap I used to have to unweight over or get bounced offline. It's a pretty powerful feeling in the woods. The steering is confident, but I need to shorten the bars; it's not nearly as quick as I like and I was skimming tree bark occasionally.

Probably the most impressive quality is climbing traction. Technical low speed rocky steeps are now much easier to clean, even in a super low gear. And it takes less effort.

Can't wait to race this rig. I'm sold on the 27.5 platform.

--Dean

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Good stuff Dean,
    I got so wrapped up in the wheel size dilemma it took me ages to decide.
    The stubborn part of my brain decided I was a 26" all the way man plus when I stood next to a 29er it looked like I had stolen my dads bike, that was until I tried a 650b and now I am smitten. I have a 760 custom spark and the platform is phenomenal, as you say the traction in technical climbs is awesome, me with a spongy too. The red route climb at innerleithen was tough but hey, I made it. Be warned though, it has bitten me a couple of times on descents, if you get your lines right and carry speed through the corners it is sometimes easy to forget what speed you are doing.
    I wish you luck on race day.
    Yano