Granny Gear Guru

Scott Scale 70, 60, 50 40?

Anyone out there own one? Are they all on the same frame? I guess I could probably do some more research myself on the frame thing but I also want to know if there are some owners with some good ride reports. I have read some reviews but most just talk about how well they climb and how light they are which is good. I haven't heard much else about Scott and wanted some confidence before dropping $1k+ on another bike. I am most interested in the Scale 50 right now.

Thanks for any input/reply. Tell me to search if you have to, I understand
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i have an 09 scale 70. 40-70 are the same frame. 09 and before have a 7005 alum frame and 2010 has a 6061 alum. frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Same frames, increasingly better parts the lower the the number. I have an '07 Scale 50 and I like it alot. The wheels and the fork are boat anchors of sorts but all of the other parts are good. If you're in the market for a hardtail with a more aggressive racing geometry in the frame then you'll probably like it.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    my good friend has a scale 60. it's not heavy, but it's not light. we tore it down a few days ago and the (large) frame is incredibly light. like queevil said, the rims, fork and cranks are boat anchors. my friend's came with a Manitou Axel Elite which is listed at >6lbs.

they're solid bikes and great platforms. if you can stretch the budget, try to get the higher end model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtimes
    i have an 09 scale 70. 40-70 are the same frame. 09 and before have a 7005 alum frame and 2010 has a 6061 alum. frame.
    May I ask if this is a good change or a bad one? I'm not sure if 7005 alum is better than 6061 or the other way around. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think they are the same. Except maybe the new 899.

mtbr member
    If I recall correctly, alu 6061 is alloyed mainly with magnesium (more ductile) and the 7005 is alloyed mainly with zinc (harder and stronger). To be honest, I don't know which one is better for a racing frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 2008 Scale 40 size XL. The only issue I have had with it is it seems to have some frame and wheel flex that makes technical riding a bit tricky. I might be able to stiffen it up some with better wheels, but I can't afford to do that right now. It is a fast bike, though, and very lightweight. Mine is stock except I have an Easton low riser bar and a Raceface 120mm stem. Also, it doesn't climb well, but that is probably more the rider than the bike.

mtbr member

Medium Scale 70

Just got this. I'm 175 and the medium suits me. Coming from a road bike, I like the racing geometry of the scale 70 hence my pick over the Trek 6000. The components are decent for the price - Deore /SLX, shimano disc brakes and rock shox tora tk fork. What would I change? probably toss out the free bottle cages - just a nice one will do. And the pedal - looking for a good flat pedal - any recommendation?

mtbr member
    Wow thanks these look great! Wonder if they shipped to Australia.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    medium is what? 17? 17.5? what does scott exact medium size in inches?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrospect View Post
    medium is what? 17? 17.5? what does scott exact medium size in inches?

I think Scott sizes come in 16" 18" 20 "

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jdreher55 View Post
    Anyone out there own one? Are they all on the same frame? I guess I could probably do some more research myself on the frame thing but I also want to know if there are some owners with some good ride reports. I have read some reviews but most just talk about how well they climb and how light they are which is good. I haven't heard much else about Scott and wanted some confidence before dropping $1k+ on another bike. I am most interested in the Scale 50 right now.

Thanks for any input/reply. Tell me to search if you have to, I understand
    Actually I tried out the Scale 20, 30, 35 and 80.
    Even the Scale 80 with some Shimano parts and XCR fork impressed me with that 10-15 test. Pricing is very competitive as well!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    But the carbon series is sure worth the while to take a look also!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    DELETED again. sorry

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Hello

Hey guys new to the forum kieren brown 14

PSE
    mtbr member
    My Scale 60 (2012), its 8.85kg with 650b;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scott Scale 70, 60, 50 40?-2012-11-09-14.56.31.jpg