mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Scott Scale 29er sizing question (in between sizes)

I'm 5'7", in between small and medium sized Scott Scale 29er. Whilst my local bike shop recommended a small, without a proper test ride I wouldn't know. Anyone recommendations/suggestions?! (both bikes feels good). Thanks!

mtbr member

Scott Scale 29er sizing question (in between sizes)

I'm 5'9" and took a medium. How long are your arms and legs? I think my inseam is 30". If they are average for 5'7", go small. If you are stretch armstrong, go with the medium. The shop I purchase from didn't have a demo bike either, so I could only ride around a parking area behind the shop. It was enough for me I tell that I enjoyed the geometry and ergonomics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm just under 5'6" and I'm on a small. After riding both the small and medium I was on the edge and I think I could have went with either size. In the end I got the small only because I felt that after an adjustment period to the 29r platform if I needed to make the small size bigger it would be much easier than trying to make the medium smaller.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Im 5'11 32" inseam I just picked up a large, it does fill a little on the bigger side though, could be im not use to the 29er .

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm 5'9" ish with a 32" inseam. I have a medium Scott in my sig thats feels just right to me. The GT is a large and feels a bit to big.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7". I bought a scale 940 medium last September and after having it a few months decided to sell because it just felt too large. I bought a scale 920 a few weeks ago in small size and it is perfect. Bike feels great and I am very pleased I went with the smaller frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks everyone for your replies. They were all very helpful. I ended up getting a small - fits really nice, and a good transition from a 26er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    I'm 5'7". I bought a scale 940 medium last September and after having it a few months decided to sell because it just felt too large. I bought a scale 920 a few weeks ago in small size and it is perfect. Bike feels great and I am very pleased I went with the smaller frame.
    I'm 5'7 and having exactly the same dilemma but leaning towards the small. Did you play around with the stem length or stick with the stock 70mm?

mtbr member
    I have the stock stem flipped. The fit is perfect for me. FYI I have short legs, 29 inseam and a longer torso.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    I have the stock stem flipped. The fit is perfect for me. FYI I have short legs, 29 inseam and a longer torso.
    Thanks for the advice. I have short legs and short arms and an average length torso. I was mired in indecision about whether to get the medium or small but after reading all these posts from other 5'7 guys on small I went with the small in the end and I'm glad I did. It feels great. I got the lower end Scale 970 as I have a Reba from another bike that I had the shop swap over. I felt a little cramped at first but I swapped out the 70mm stem for an 80mm stem and now it feels perfect. Took it for it's first real spin tonight and it handles great. Really great climber, the rear wheel just seems to eat up the slopes. Don't know if it is the smaller frame or the shorter chainstays but it seemed to really chew up the slopes compared to my old bike which is a medium size frame. Also handles great downhill and cornering too. Loving finally having the lower TT and having some clearance. I lost it on a corner tonight and was able to put my foot straight down and regain my balance. On my old bike I think I would have tumbled over.

Anyway thanks all and here is a picture of my new beast. The 970 might be the lower end Scale but I reckon it has the best paint job design of all the aluminum frame Scales.

Scott Scale 29er sizing question (in between sizes)-20130824_152313.jpg

Scott Scale 29er sizing question (in between sizes)-20130824_170458.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I am 5'7" , this is my scott scale 26er size S
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    5'7" with 29" inseam = Small, Scale
    Scott Addict, sub 5.6kg

WTB: Enve 34.9 seatpost