mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Scott Scale 29er for short riders

Any short riders out there on a Scott Scaler 29er? I was looking at a 29er elite in a size small. I'm 5' 5". Seems like a good deal for an entry level XC racing bike, which is what I'm looking for. I would go test ride but I live in Moab so the closest Scott dealer is quite a ways away.. hoping to get some opinions before I drive to go check them out.

mtbr member
    my old roommate has one. i think she's 5'3"ish. she ran one of the 17degree bontrager stems flipped upside down to get the hanlebar low enough. It all depends on your proportions and the position that you'd like. More than likely, it's doable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm new to the forum, but thought I'd add my $.02, if you're still interested. I have the first gen scott scale 29er in small, and I think it could fit someone shorter than 5'5" easly (given normal-ish proportions). I'm about 5'-7.5" with 29-30" inseem, I typically favor smaller bikes, and it almost feels too small with quite a bit of seatpost exposed, saddle slammed all the way back on the rails, and a 90mm stem to -8*. I should quanitify that my cockpit feels okay, but sometimes I debate getting a setback seatpost. I have left it so far because I like moving fore and aft quite a bit and I usually scoot forward on the nose of the saddle when I'm pushing it, but for cruising in the saddle I tend to ride as far back as possible (something I've never done on any of my bikes).

Given the really low standover height, very small triangle, 75mm stock stem, I think it would fit the smallest of riders.

I don't know if this will help, but on the road I ride a 49cm Specialized Tarmac SL3, with the seatpost as high as possible and 100mm stem to -8*.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the replies, that was pretty helpful. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a team 29.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    size small, i assume? I think you'll find the size to be just fine. I have the 2009 (or whatever the first year they had it was) which is similar to the Elite trim today, and I like it a lot. I recently upgraded the wheels to Stan's ZTR 355's and it lost over 2lbs and became a new bike! Enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yep went with a small. I'll post some pictures when I get them. This is going to be my ride for my first XC season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm 5.7 and found the small frame too small, so I went with a medium. A small should fit you fine.

Too snowy to ride right now!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a scale 29er Medium, and at 5'9" it's perfect for me. The small should be just right for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just thought I'd report back, the small fits me perfect at 5' 5". It's a little heavier than I thought... Came out to over 28 lbs with m520 pedals, ergon g1 grips and a stan's notubes conversion with the stock tires (aka new rimtape, sealant and no tubes). Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a Reba and drop 1.5 lbs.

SANY0040 by akollgaard, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    nice looking rig! I'm not sure what the stock wheelset weighs, but I would hazard a guess that it's on the heavy side. I would maybe look at upgrading those first...I'm guessing if you're on a small that you're under the weight limit for Stan's Crests (if not, I didn't intend any offense but that is all rolling or rotating weight, which is huge.

A set of crests can be found pretty cheap (<$400-$500) if you keep an eye out...one of the best bangs for the buck / quickest/easisest ways to change the bike and drop weight.

mtbr member
    i went and checked out one today , I'm 5'5" and the small felt perfect , what are you guys paying for yours , the team i looked at is $1250.00
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful